The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Nursing at City University of London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hello, please I have a confirmed place to study MSc adult nursing at city and I just wanted to know the process of the occupational health check. When will I be contacted to start or how do I start the process. Thank you.

Original post by Nadia@CityUoL-StudentRep
Hey,
Congratulations on receiving your offers! It's a big, deal you must be super proud!

As a City student studying Children's Nursing you may call me biased but I love studying here, because of the atmosphere created by both the staff (lecturers), current students and everyone who works within the university, it creates such a positive environment which makes it a pleasure to study here.

Now onto why I think City stands out from other universities especially when studying children's nursing;

1) We have such great links with many trusts nationwide which means all your placements will be in areas that have a high reputation in providing the best healthcare to patients whilst also being super diverse, and your placements can vary to hospital settings to community. Our relationships include leading hospitals and trusts including Bart’s Health NHS Trust, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, the East London NHS Foundation Trust and Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.

2) The way the course is set out really enables you to become the most confident nurse you can be! Many universities send students out to placement straight away, however with nursing at City, they prepare you with the theory first in terms of lectures, seminars and teaching for the first couple of months, and once the theory is completed they then send you out onto placement. I find this has been so helpful, as I felt like I had some knowledge when going to placement, as opposed to no knowledge.

3) Our facilities are amazing. Here at City we have mock hospital wards and hospital equipment for our practical sessions and to practice our skills, and I find this so great because everything we do in these mock hospital wards feels so real life like, which helps us as students understand how it will really be like on placement.

4) For me I have found the support at City has been immense, you never feel as if you are alone if you need help as all the staff are really friendly and approachable and always willing to help whenever you need them to!

Instead of me writing way more reasons way I am going to attach a YouTube link below from City's channel about my experience as a children's nurse if you are interested;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16pLgLZvWyk

I hope this has helped you, and good luck on your future studies!

Nadia :smile:
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Anyone know when we get timetables/start dates?
Been wondering the same thing, called the Health school and City help desk and emailed everywhere no response yet. They're slowly uploading more timetables to the Induction page (https://studenthub.city.ac.uk/new-students/induction-timetables) which I check every day. Looks like the School of Health courses are the only ones not listed yet :/ Kind of frustrating since I need to put in my notice of leave to my employer and am scared that our courses will be at the beginning of Sept!
Original post by emdavidson
Been wondering the same thing, called the Health school and City help desk and emailed everywhere no response yet. They're slowly uploading more timetables to the Induction page (https://studenthub.city.ac.uk/new-students/induction-timetables) which I check every day. Looks like the School of Health courses are the only ones not listed yet :/ Kind of frustrating since I need to put in my notice of leave to my employer and am scared that our courses will be at the beginning of Sept!

I'm the opposite - I know term ends on 12th Sept so my last day of work is the Friday before.. but if lectures don't actually start until a week or two later I'm missing out on some pay :')
What course are you doing? :smile:
Hey,
Congratulations on receiving your offers! It's a big, deal you must be super proud!

As a City student studying Children's Nursing you may call me biased but I love studying here, because of the atmosphere created by both the staff (lecturers), current students and everyone who works within the university, it creates such a positive environment which makes it a pleasure to study here.

Now onto why I think City stands out from other universities especially when studying children's nursing;

1) We have such great links with many trusts nationwide which means all your placements will be in areas that have a high reputation in providing the best healthcare to patients whilst also being super diverse, and your placements can vary to hospital settings to community. Our relationships include leading hospitals and trusts including Bart’s Health NHS Trust, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, the East London NHS Foundation Trust and Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.

2) The way the course is set out really enables you to become the most confident nurse you can be! Many universities send students out to placement straight away, however with nursing at City, they prepare you with the theory first in terms of lectures, seminars and teaching for the first couple of months, and once the theory is completed they then send you out onto placement. I find this has been so helpful, as I felt like I had some knowledge when going to placement, as opposed to no knowledge.

3) Our facilities are amazing. Here at City we have mock hospital wards and hospital equipment for our practical sessions and to practice our skills, and I find this so great because everything we do in these mock hospital wards feels so real life like, which helps us as students understand how it will really be like on placement.

4) For me I have found the support at City has been immense, you never feel as if you are alone if you need help as all the staff are really friendly and approachable and always willing to help whenever you need them to!

Instead of me writing way more reasons way I am going to attach a YouTube link below from City's channel about my experience as a children's nurse if you are interested;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16pLgLZvWyk

I hope this has helped you, and good luck on your future studies!

Nadia :smile:

Hi Nadia,

I'm a first year studying Child Nursing at Hertfordshire and I'm strongly considering transferring to City for my 2nd year. I missed out on the deadline when applying but City was my first choice and I hope you can give me some insight into how a typical day for a nursing student goes.
How are the placements scheduled at City for Child Nursing?
What type of layout are your exams and assignments given as? (e.g. essay, presentation, dissertation, formative/summative)
Do you know any students who have transferred from other unis to enroll at City and what the process is?

I hope you can answer my questions and I have asked some faculty members about joining but I'm still unsure as I would have to commute and getting used to a different location and environment is hard especially if you don't know anyone. Is there a chat for first year city child nursing students in the 2022 cohort that I could join and ask about their experience?
Thanks, Mariya x
Original post by Darmi
Hello, please I have a confirmed place to study MSc adult nursing at city and I just wanted to know the process of the occupational health check. When will I be contacted to start or how do I start the process. Thank you.

Hello how did you find the interview?
Original post by Darmi

hi im planning to start this course this year & was wondering what your timetable has looked like this year
Hey everyone!

I hope you are all doing well, especially in these current situations we have found ourselves in.

Welcome to City, University of London’s Nursing thread, where you can ask me anything about studying Nursing at City, whether it be an Adult, Children’s or Mental Health Nursing course and feel free to ask any burning questions you may have about student life at City. I’ll jump in with some suggestions and answers 😊

Start a discussion by answering the questions below:

- What type of field of nursing are you considering getting into?

- Where else are you thinking of applying to study nursing?

- Is nursing your ideal degree and career choice?

- At what stage are you with your research/application?

Find all the latest information on nursing and the course offerings on our Nursing webpage.

Wishing you all well!

Nadia

Official City, University of London Student Rep

Hi,
Are you still a rep at the uni?
I'm a new student at the uni studying a Nursing Associate degree which includes a foundation year, but I haven't gone into class since the first lesson on tuesday 3rd. But I have caught up with the learning online. I also haven't collected my ID. Would I still be able to collect my ID this week? Also, I was given uniform to wear as part of my course, do I need to wear that uniform to every class or is it just for placement only?

Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
Are you still a rep at the uni?
I'm a new student at the uni studying a Nursing Associate degree which includes a foundation year, but I haven't gone into class since the first lesson on tuesday 3rd. But I have caught up with the learning online. I also haven't collected my ID. Would I still be able to collect my ID this week? Also, I was given uniform to wear as part of my course, do I need to wear that uniform to every class or is it just for placement only?

Thanks.

Hello,
Im the current rep for nursing at City and welcome!! you can email [email protected] and ask about your ID and where to collect one. As for uniform you will only need to wear uniform during placement and clinical practice session.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending