The Student Room Group

GCSE's

Hi
Im doing 3 A-Levels in English lit, History and R.E. and got AAB (B in history) and Im predicted 3 A's.
I was just wondering whether my GCSE results (2A* 6A's 1B in maths!!!) would be too low to apply to places like bristol, nottingham, southampton etc.
And whether the absence of a fourth AS level would hinder me (although I do have an AS level in media studies and got a C-but dont uni's hate that?!? Also Im taking up a Spanish AS this year but havent sat any exams and dont think Ill do too well in it.)

Thanks for reading!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no....what are you applying for?
Reply 2
No.
The worst they can say is “NO!”.
I doubt very much that they'll reject you if you achieved those brilliant GCSE results.

My friend went to a Grammar school, and for GCSE he got a C in his History and Food Tech. He is currently studying Physics at Oxford!

Most Universities go by Tariff points (you can find the grid on UCAS) - each grade represents a certain amount of points. For instance an A in AS is 60 points, but for A2 it’s double the amount (so 120). Some Unis only require 300 points to get in, which is easy to achieve.
Whatever you get for AS will contribute to your overall Alevel grade when you complete A2, and I bet you'll do fantastically if you remain motivated and focussed!

My uni only required two Cs so I got in easily with my two Bs and an A in Media AS! :smile: So hopefully you shouldn’t have a problem there.

If you're that confused, contact your desired Unis to see what they advise.

Go for it :smile:

Take care,
Alex.
Reply 4
Those G.C.S.E grades aren't bad. You seem pretty smart, but how did you get a C in media at as? I got an A. Only saying because of your other GOOD grades :smile:
Reply 5
Alex-dude :)
The worst they can say is “NO!”.

And if they all say no, that's a serious problem.

Most Universities go by Tariff points

No they don't.

Some Unis only require 300 points to get in, which is easy to achieve.

For most people, BBB is hardly trivial.
There is no apostrophe in GCSEs. The exam boards should fail people for stuff like that.
BJack

Nah it isn't, go with the flow, take it as it comes, treat it as a roller coaster with obstacles to dodge, weave and bounce around.
Reply 8
necessarily benevolent
Nah it isn't, go with the flow, take it as it comes, treat it as a roller coaster with obstacles to dodge, weave and bounce around.

Well, if you insist. But it's usually a clear sign that you've done something wrong if you get five rejections.
That's absolutely fine. You've only got one grade that isn't an A/A* (and a B is still pretty good), and the vast majority of courses will require nothing more than a C in English and/or Maths plus maybe a decent grade in the subject you're applying for, if you did it at GCSE.
Reply 10
I'll give my standard answer.

Oxford and Cambridge care little about GCSEs, they are far more concerned with potential.

Other top universities (such as Bristol) will consider them and will often use them as a filter for oversubscribed couses in particular. However, this doesn't mean you need a string of A*s. Your results are a good spread of A*s, As and Bs. You should be fine.

Ultimately, get your As and Bs in English, maths and a modern language (if you are taken/have taken one) and you won't be in too bad a position.

The absence of a fourth AS level would usually be more of a problem. However, you do have one. Don't be too concerned that it's media studies.
Oxford and Cambridge care little about GCSEs, they are far more concerned with potential.

Do you mean to say a person with D in GCSE maths would have an offer from cambridge and oxford???
Reply 12
kamranm_4176

Do you mean to say a person with D in GCSE mhs would have an offer from cambridge and oxford???

For what subject?

Within reason, average GCSE results are not a barrier to entry.

There are a number of people at GCSE with "average" GCSE grades (say, 2 As, mostly Bs, a couple of Cs). A D may be pushing it, but I think you're taking my point to a ridiculous extreme there.

I was told by Oxford and Cambridge tutors years ago that they were looing increasingly away from GCSEs (as, in their opinion, they provide a poor indication of university performance. They are hardly testing academcally).

There is an opposite view. Some researchers believe GCSEs are a better indidication of university performance than A-levels are. Still, Oxford and Cambridge have the advantage of interviewing (and seeing how commited and intelligent a student is with their own eyes).
BJack

No they don't.

For most people, BBB is hardly trivial.

Well, you're a cynical arse, aren't you?

How about answering this question yourself, if you consider yourself to have the superior answers; rather than wasting your time picking at other people's replies and ripping the advise apart.

Who doesnt find grades important?! For some people, BBB is a challenge depending on the subjects you study-(but I suppose to you, the people who can't achieve the grades are stupid, right?).

Selected Universities do go by tariff points - I didn’t say they ALL did.

It's not a "serious" problem if a University doesn’t give someone a place- it isn't the end of the world! Just because one rejects a person doesn’t mean they all will! It depends how many Universities this person is contemplating applying for and under which circumstances.

Stop being negative and give some advice- rather than correcting other students on theirs!
kamranm_4176

Do you mean to say a person with D in GCSE maths would have an offer from cambridge and oxford???

No, they ask for a minimum of a C in English and Maths.
Reply 15
Alex-dude :)
I suppose to you, the people who can't achieve the grades are stupid, right?

Yes, that is exactly what I said. I said exactly that. You couldn't possibly have twisted my words at all. It is inconceivable that what I said was nothing like that.

Selected Universities do go by tariff points - I didn’t say they ALL did.

You said most universities go by tariff points. Of the universities listed by the TC, exactly none uses tariff point offers.

Stop being negative and give some advice- rather than correcting other students on theirs!

Perhaps if you weren't giving such bad advice, I wouldn't need to waste my time correcting yours. :smile:
Reply 16
I'll add to "No's". No!
is there any uni which doesnt ask for GCSE maths grades to get into undergrad. bio-medicine??
kamranm_4176
is there any uni which doesnt ask for GCSE maths grades to get into undergrad. bio-medicine??

Well, for an international student such as yourself (as you're listed as being in Islamabad, I'm assuming that you're an international student), they'll waive GCSE requirements, as they'll understand that you don't conform to the same syllabus. However, they'll still ask for an equivalent qualification.
im a home student.I am a brit national but i've been living and studying here

Latest

Trending

Trending