The Student Room Group

Class presentations re. civil engineering degree/how to avoid?

Hi,

I have a phobia of and thus do not do class presentations (or speeches in front of groups of people). I am gaging the amount of emphasis there is on a civil engineering course regarding class presentations.

Roughly how many will I be expected to do?
The importance of them regarding grading/marks.
Consequences of refusing to do the presentation.

It is wrong that people like me are put in positions that we would usually avoid at any cost and can't do so without being penalized. :mad:
Reply 1
There is a bit of me that wants to rip your head off and slap you. Possibly knock some common sense in to you.

Humour and head bashing keyboard aside, it is time for me to put the honest cards on the table

You will be expected to do presentations during your degree. These may be done in the front of classes or they may just be done in front of a group of lecturers. You will be expected to be able to defend your assumptions. Sometimes this may take the form of a presentation of where just a few members of your group do the main of the talking and the rest are reffered to for answering questions on sections they have covered in more detail. Other times, you will be expected to do it with the support of one or two people, possibly even on your own.

In the world of Civil Engineering, we have to bid for contracts and deal with various conflicts such as interest groups and other companies. You will be expected to be able to produce presentations or even run something on the fly. This does not mean that people expect perfect presentations. Heavens, I do one a week for the the Photographic Society and many people would be able to spot the possible flaws.

As a result, you will be expected to do around 5 per year and they will be quite an integral part of many of your courses. The consequences of refusing will result in you failing modules (as your colleagues will criticise you) and ultimately failing your degree when presentations become more important and more effort is put on individual presentations.

My advice is that you try to find a solution or mitigation to your phobia or get on with shelf stacking at your local supermarket.

There is a possibility you could pass your degree by trying to avoid them at all costs but I am concerned that you will not have the skills base required to take on the real world one you graduate.
Reply 2
Confirms what I had in mind. I will take them as they come and perhaps get some training. However I sill believe it should be based wholly on academia rather than the added ability to speak in front of people, but I begrudgingly agree.
Reply 3
Barry Chuckle
However I sill believe it should be based wholly on academia rather than the added ability to speak in front of people.

Is your performance going to be based wholly on academia when you graduate and get a job within the industry?
Reply 4
shuvle
Is your performance going to be based wholly on academia when you graduate and get a job within the industry?

I would hope so.
If I don't understand physical principals or I am not able to carry out correct calculations, how can I do my job? I am the brains not the mouth, and in any case I did say that I begrudgingly agreed.
Barry Chuckle
I would hope so.
If I don't understand physical principals or I am not able to carry out correct calculations, how can I do my job? I am the brains not the mouth, and in any case I did say that I begrudgingly agreed.

By the same token, if you are unable to present your solutions how will you be able to do your job? The skills involved in presenting to groups are a basic building block in virtually any professional career; the sooner you realise that and try to develop yourself the better.

Latest