The Student Room Group

LGBTQ+ Q and A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
Good question. So for two (cis) women of course there is no risk of pregnancy but there is still a risk (although *relatively* small e.g. depending on how many and the type of sexual partners you've both had) of STIs. So there are types of contraception that can be used, such as dental dams and I think latex type gloves too which can act as barriers to prevent STIs. I hope that helps. That's just the information that I know of, I'm certainly not an expert :smile:

Good 2 know 4 the future! im only 14, but still useful!
Original post by creamwaffle
Good 2 know 4 the future! im only 14, but still useful!

You're welcome. I'm not sure what sex education is like at school these days but when I was at school it was quite limited and mainly focused on heterosexual relationships.
You're welcome. I'm not sure what sex education is like at school these days but when I was at school it was quite limited and mainly focused on heterosexual relationships.

we only really do it in rs tbh

Limited for me too, only about 5-10 years ago now. :redface: good question! @creamwaffle
Reply 404
Lesbians - is a Bi girl a turn off for you?

I've been on a date with a girl I met on some friend's party, we had a click there and decided to go on a date.
I have much less experience with girls, so it is awkward for me. I told her I'm be (she already knew I'm poly so that is not the issue at all), ever since the date became just a friendly meeting, no hands holding, much less looking deep into the eyes... like she's avoiding it...

We really want to meet more and to get to know each other more, but it seems like she's more into being just friends...

so... Lesbians - is a Bi girl a turn off for you?
Reply 405
I'm almost 34 and when speaking to people about romance and sexuality I feel awkward because I can't describe myself. I never felt the real need to, but recently after talking about it a lot with people around me I feel the need to identify myself somehow.

I'm polyamorous, I'm sure about it. I am bi, I'm sure about that too, but here comes the problem. There are so many different aspects here to look at to decide how to identify myself I'm basically lost.

I want to talk to someone about it in privet, just feel more comfortable to reviling stuff to everyone. People here should know me I'm not a troll so I can openly say who I am but still want to save some privacy.
I wanted to write it for a month or so, but only now gained enough confidence to do that.... I even made a long post and not published it because I realized I feel more comfortable to talk in privet with someone about it.

Please help me.
Reply 406
Original post by parmezanne
Limited for me too, only about 5-10 years ago now. :redface: good question! @creamwaffle

In Israel, in most of the schools it's even forbidden to mention any other sexual relationship other than heterosexual
Original post by Kathy89
I'm almost 34 and when speaking to people about romance and sexuality I feel awkward because I can't describe myself. I never felt the real need to, but recently after talking about it a lot with people around me I feel the need to identify myself somehow.

I'm polyamorous, I'm sure about it. I am bi, I'm sure about that too, but here comes the problem. There are so many different aspects here to look at to decide how to identify myself I'm basically lost.

I want to talk to someone about it in privet, just feel more comfortable to reviling stuff to everyone. People here should know me I'm not a troll so I can openly say who I am but still want to save some privacy.
I wanted to write it for a month or so, but only now gained enough confidence to do that.... I even made a long post and not published it because I realized I feel more comfortable to talk in privet with someone about it.

Please help me.

You're welcome to contact me. It took me until I was 29 to figure out the correct words to describe how I identify despite knowing from preteens how I felt. I know the struggle of not knowing the right words and that consequently making it harder to connect with/explain to other people.
Reply 408
Original post by 1582
You're welcome to contact me. It took me until I was 29 to figure out the correct words to describe how I identify despite knowing from preteens how I felt. I know the struggle of not knowing the right words and that consequently making it harder to connect with/explain to other people.

It's like only recently I started feeling the need to identify myself in a way.
I will write you a PM.
Thanks so much )
Reply 409

I taught it 3 years ago and my school did a really good, inclusive job of it. But our head of social wellbeing etc was herself LGBTQ+ and so I think we might've been outlier in this sense
Original post by Kathy89

I've been on a date with a girl I met on some friend's party, we had a click there and decided to go on a date.
I have much less experience with girls, so it is awkward for me. I told her I'm be (she already knew I'm poly so that is not the issue at all), ever since the date became just a friendly meeting, no hands holding, much less looking deep into the eyes... like she's avoiding it...

We really want to meet more and to get to know each other more, but it seems like she's more into being just friends...

I'm bisexual but I have been on dates with lesbians.

I'll let the lesbians cover this answer for you but as a precursor....if you date a lesbian and she disapproves of your bisexuality, she's not the lesbian for you :smile: you deserve someone who validates you identity and doesn't feel threatened by it or make you feel shame. We have enough of that from outside the LGBTQ+ community, we certainly don't have room for it in-house. :yep:
Reply 411
I'm bisexual but I have been on dates with lesbians.

I'll let the lesbians cover this answer for you but as a precursor....if you date a lesbian and she disapproves of your bisexuality, she's not the lesbian for you :smile: you deserve someone who validates you identity and doesn't feel threatened by it or make you feel shame. We have enough of that from outside the LGBTQ+ community, we certainly don't have room for it in-house. :yep:

She is not criticizing my lifestyle or that I am bi, she just seems not to be into a relationship with me because I am bi....
I completely agree with you that there is too many criticism, even violent criticism even in-house.
Reply 412
Original post by Kathy89

Personally no. But I do know lesbians who think theyll leave them for a man, or use statistics that say the majority of bisexual women end up with men, and don't want to take a risk on the minority chance so they avoid them. Not saying its right and it's not the majority but it's still certainly one mentality that exists within the group.
Welcome to TSR's LGBTQ+ Q & A Thread!

This thread is designed to answer any questions you might have being queer or as an ally! Although we can't speak for the entire LGBTQ+ community, we will all have some shared experiences, whether it be coming out or questioning ourselves. Feel free to ask for advice, information, experiences or places to find support. :yep:

Below are a number of queer TSR users who are happy to provide advice or answer questions:

me, @parmezanne - bisexual

@BurstingBubbles - bisexual / pansexual

@becausethenight - non-binary / trans / bisexual

@1582 - non-binary

@CatusStarbright - asexual

@shadowdweller - demisexual / graysexual

@Elizabeth II - bisexual

@CoolCavy - gay

@SarcAndSpark - bisexual / polysexual

Link to the LGBT+ Chat Thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2529505
Link to this year's Pride Hub: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7034240

Q and A Moderation Notes:

This thread is not intended for debate. Any users inciting debate or being disrespectful will be removed.

Please be mindful of any triggering content. If you are asking about something that is potentially triggering, please provide a trigger warning and put the question in a spoiler.

helllo,
Original post by cravenmanal
helllo,

hey! :hi:
I wonder if I can ask a question. This year I willl be 50 years old (yes, i know. I wont bother you), and i only accepted that i was gay in my early 40s. I lived in a romote town in North Norway, and have only had one longer relationship in my life, with a closeted man. Actually, I knew very little about him because we basically only met for sex at my place. We never saw a movie and we never went to a bar. I never saw him anywhere except in my apartmen, and thenmostly in the bedroom.
But I have managed to get a few ons in my life. In 2017 I joined the prep program in Norway, and I also vacciunated myself against hepatitis. This provided me we a certain sense of security, because as you know the aids scare of the 80s has left a huge scar on gay culture, and there is considerable fear connected with any sexual activity. But after prep, this sort of normalized. When I moved to Portugal i joined the prep program there ,and I have never had sex without a condom. In addition to my regular checkups at the infection ward, I also tested myself after sex (it was so rare) at my GP as part of my regular checkups. The only person who has ever asked me to drop the condom was my longtime sex-partner, which i never did.
Now, i live in denmark, and on arrival here i contacted the infection ward to get tested and join their prep program. However, in Denmark, risky sex is a precondition for joining the prep program. Which i found very odd.

So my question is, what is the prep program in the UK like? What are the conditions for joining, and have you any experience with this? The reason for why I joined was due to the fact that I tended to drink quite a lot of alcohol. I told my doctors, who said I should join so that I didn't have to wake up in the morning in a pannic. I used to drink a lot in the weekends. Only in the past three years have i been able to reduce it to practically zero. The reason is that I starting to feel old, and i am fed up with bars. But on-demand prep was sort of an extra layer of protection while drinking. Some of the reason for drinking was that before i started using apps, I went out looking for gay men, trying to guess sexual orientation, which is a nightmare. There is no gay bar in the town where i grew up which has about 60000-70000 people.
Original post by efeoghenemena
so we are discussing homosexulity in religious studies class on thursday, and its filled with 98 percent religious folk. I don't know what to do. because even when the teacher announced the the topic my classmates made rude comments and I am extremely triggerd. Even before the class, please help.

hi! my names ace and im pansexual
Reply 417
Welcome to TSR's LGBTQ+ Q & A Thread!

This thread is designed to answer any questions you might have being queer or as an ally! Although we can't speak for the entire LGBTQ+ community, we will all have some shared experiences, whether it be coming out or questioning ourselves. Feel free to ask for advice, information, experiences or places to find support. :yep:

Below are a number of queer TSR users who are happy to provide advice or answer questions:

me, @parmezanne - bisexual

@BurstingBubbles - bisexual / pansexual

@becausethenight - non-binary / trans / bisexual

@1582 - non-binary

@CatusStarbright - asexual

@shadowdweller - demisexual / graysexual

@Elizabeth II - bisexual

@CoolCavy - gay

@SarcAndSpark - bisexual / polysexual

Link to the LGBT+ Chat Thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2529505
Link to this year's Pride Hub: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7034240

Q and A Moderation Notes:

This thread is not intended for debate. Any users inciting debate or being disrespectful will be removed.

Please be mindful of any triggering content. If you are asking about something that is potentially triggering, please provide a trigger warning and put the question in a spoiler.

hi im a nonbinary Sapphic and i want to come out to a possible ally teacher i have at school. she is very nice and made a queer joke in class to which my friend pointed at her self as a bisexual and miss said "dw i support" should i come out,,,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending