The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Canterbury student manor 2021

I’m hoping to go to Kent uni in sept 2021 and was wondering if anyone was applying for Canterbury Student Manor accommodation or has stayed in there before?

Ive applied for Kent uni accom too but am leaning towards private come.
Im going there this year also, I heard its a nice place, I booked the studio apartment as I heard they are quite spacious.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Hey, do you like it there? I am thinking of moving there next year
Here is my in-depth analysis of Canterbury student manor.Firstly, the service there is better, the staff there are kind and welcoming. In Park wood flats, the staff is close to non existent in the sense that they get on with their work and only converse when you actually need something. Not a dealbreaker but a point to make.The room layout of CRM is perfect. In other words, it would be exactly how I would have lay it out. The bed is tucked into a corner of the room, the kitchen is towards the entrance with the bathroom near the entrance as well. The space for the kitchen counter is not enough which is a disadvantage. I use an old desk as more counter-space. The main work desk is more than sufficient for any person. I have my monitor keyboard mousepad and laptop all on there at once. Park wood has their layout in a not ideal way. The bed is smack dab in the centre of the room with tiny walking space on either side of the bed, the desk space is smaller than CRM but I wouldn’t say its bad. The storage spaces are decent and I think are better than CRM however the lack of a proper under bed storage is a dealbreaker for me with park wood. CRM has under bed storage. In terms of hygiene CRM is superior in every way, when I first walked in, it looked absolutely clean. I would say that there were coffee stains that were on the desk when I moved however they did not come off so nothing could be done about that. The bathroom was very clean with no issues to report, the kitchen was also the same with no issues. There were permanent stains here and there in the room but nothing so vile or severe that it would impact me day to day. In park wood it is a slightly different story. The carpet wasn’t vacuumed when my friend moved in. We had to vacuum it ourselves. Otherwise nothing else to report. The issue is with the bathroom. It was disgusting. The floors are yellow and have black stains embedded in the grout, the walls were crusty from the water from the shower. The shower was not separate from the bathroom so the drain was directly on the floor. This is terrible because it means you will get wet feet when you step in the bathroom. The worst were the silverfish infestation in the crevices of the floor. They would come out when the lights were off and scurry back to their holes when you turned on the lights. It made us uncomfortable just to use the bathroom.A few point to note, park wood has gas hobs where as crm had induction hobs.There are cleaning staff at park wood that routinely clean your kitchen and toilet. In crm you are responsible for cleaning your facilities.Hope this helps and is not too long and boring :smile:
Yeah, that helps a lot thank you!! I do have another question if you don't mind answering, how do you get to the university, like do you take bus or is there a shuttle bus available because so far I can see that you would have to take the bus and I don't know whether you have to pay for the uni bus year ticket or if there is an easier way to get to the university from there?
Original post by XxDaVigilantexX
Here is my in-depth analysis of Canterbury student manor.Firstly, the service there is better, the staff there are kind and welcoming. In Park wood flats, the staff is close to non existent in the sense that they get on with their work and only converse when you actually need something. Not a dealbreaker but a point to make.The room layout of CRM is perfect. In other words, it would be exactly how I would have lay it out. The bed is tucked into a corner of the room, the kitchen is towards the entrance with the bathroom near the entrance as well. The space for the kitchen counter is not enough which is a disadvantage. I use an old desk as more counter-space. The main work desk is more than sufficient for any person. I have my monitor keyboard mousepad and laptop all on there at once. Park wood has their layout in a not ideal way. The bed is smack dab in the centre of the room with tiny walking space on either side of the bed, the desk space is smaller than CRM but I wouldn’t say its bad. The storage spaces are decent and I think are better than CRM however the lack of a proper under bed storage is a dealbreaker for me with park wood. CRM has under bed storage. In terms of hygiene CRM is superior in every way, when I first walked in, it looked absolutely clean. I would say that there were coffee stains that were on the desk when I moved however they did not come off so nothing could be done about that. The bathroom was very clean with no issues to report, the kitchen was also the same with no issues. There were permanent stains here and there in the room but nothing so vile or severe that it would impact me day to day. In park wood it is a slightly different story. The carpet wasn’t vacuumed when my friend moved in. We had to vacuum it ourselves. Otherwise nothing else to report. The issue is with the bathroom. It was disgusting. The floors are yellow and have black stains embedded in the grout, the walls were crusty from the water from the shower. The shower was not separate from the bathroom so the drain was directly on the floor. This is terrible because it means you will get wet feet when you step in the bathroom. The worst were the silverfish infestation in the crevices of the floor. They would come out when the lights were off and scurry back to their holes when you turned on the lights. It made us uncomfortable just to use the bathroom.A few point to note, park wood has gas hobs where as crm had induction hobs.There are cleaning staff at park wood that routinely clean your kitchen and toilet. In crm you are responsible for cleaning your facilities.Hope this helps and is not too long and boring :smile:
To get to the university, you can either walk for 40 mins (what I do most of the time as the buses are unreliable) or you can choose to take a bus from sturry road (2 min walk) and change at the bus station to a uni bus. An alternate route is to walk 15 mins to the uni 1 or 2 bus stop and take one bus to uni (a more reliable option).I usually walk to uni as it is a safer option to not be late and take a bus or two back to crm. Any more questions, feel free to ask. :smile:
To get to the university, you can either walk for 40 mins (what I do most of the time as the buses are unreliable) or you can choose to take a bus from sturry road (2 min walk) and change at the bus station to a uni bus. An alternate route is to walk 15 mins to the uni 1 or 2 bus stop and take one bus to uni (a more reliable option).I usually walk to uni as it is a safer option to not be late and take a bus or two back to crm. Any more questions, feel free to ask. :smile:

I sent a reply before but I don't know if it sent but thank you! I am just concerned with the distance from CRM to uni of kent. Do you perhaps have other options of private accommodation that may be more convenient or whether the distance isn't as bad as it seems?
No sorry, I just know about Crm or the university campus itself.

Okay, thank you very much the information it is very helpful!! I'm so sorry for all these questions, but how would you rate the area in which the CRM accommodation is located?

Hello, I’m planning on moving there this September but I have seen that the pay instalments are mostly scheduled for times that are before we get our student finance sent to us.

I have called them and they have said that they understand this and are lenient in waiting until we get our student finance until expecting payment but I just wanted to know whether you know if this is true and if you have had any problems with this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending