The Student Room Group

Parents of vet med applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi everyone. Mum of a hopeful vet to be here. Daughter has firmed HK, has Surrey in reserve, turned down Bristol and was rejected by Nott pre interview. She has chosen Harper campus. We live in ROI so are newbies to the UCAS process. She has also applied to Dublin. She hasn't visited any UK uni other than virtually. She is still in school so offers are conditional. Nerve wrecking! Thanks for this thread.
Original post by Anxiety attack
Digs, Bristol 01179308750 arrange student accommodation in Bristol, not sure if they stretch to Langford. The Unibus leaves Rupert Street in the city centre early morning, so the east village ie city centre accommodation works well.

Thank you very much - you’ve been most helpful!
Yes, similar here. My son will firm Bristol, but is on hold for Nottingham. If he is offered a place at Nottingham, he will decline Surrey. It is an elaborate game of chess. Stressful.
And that's the problem! it goes round in circles. Just about all the main offers have been given out and those still waiting to hear from schools are basically on a wait list, even if Bristol doesn't officially say it. So until people firm or decline places won't free up, and kids hang on to places waiting to hear from number one choice. It's self perpetuating! Coupled with that I think, and of course this is my opinion and nothing official, last year there was such grade inflation that the Unis were caught out and had offered too many places, so this year they're being more cautious. Look on the bright side, from what I've read here (apologies if I've overlooked someone) most of our DD's and DS's hold at least one place, which in itself is something to be pleased about given the acceptance rates. There are a lot of great students out there that haven't been lucky this time round.
We applied with grades which I'm sure made things a little easier, and the year out has matured my daughter to a point I'm amazed at. So for others who are maybe reading this, one disappointment seems like the end of the world, but it isn't. Apply again!!
(edited 3 years ago)
I can't add anything constructive as my daughter was one of the lucky ones that made it through this awful process first time round but just wanted to say that I feel for everyone at this time. She had the wait on Notts until really quite late.
Reply 25
Thanks for starting the thread, I have been lurking on the chat for some time which has been very useful seeing what has been happening when during this torturous process. My son has one offer for Surrey which he received before Christmas which really relieved a lot of the stress for him knowing he had an offer relatively early in the process. He would have loved to go to Edinburgh but didn’t receive an offer after interview, there are so few places available. His final response came in last week from Bristol (no to vetmed but offering alternative courses) so he has now firmed Surrey on Track. He (and us) are delighted he has an offer as a first time applicant and is going to be a Vet. We have visited the Surrey campus but are planning to take another day trip in late May once he finishes his “not exams but still exams”just to get him better familiarised with the area, accommodation etc.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 26
Well done to DS. I know the feeling of relief when that first offer comes through!! My daughter would have loved Glasgow, but having done the French bac with the dual programme French/ English we were warned not to apply. It's funny how different Unis view different qualifications. Cambridge treat it as the equivalent of 5 A levels ( as they are responsible for the programme it's not really a surprise), Bristol love it, but the Scottish vet schools don't like it at all.
So if there are any parents of next year applicants reading this, it really is important to know inside out and back to front the entrance requirements for each establishment. Not just A levels, but GCSE grades as well. They do vary, and it's enough to make the difference between interview or not. I've read on the main applicant thread so many stories from disappointed teenagers who just didn't realise this and thought that their A*'s were going to guarantee them a place. Even with all the grades and work experience nothing is certain, so throwing chances away through lack of research is just such a shame, and I do wonder where the parents and school career services were at the time of submitting applications to UCAS.
Being abroad we had to do it on our own, so maybe I was over cautious. I literally phoned each admissions tea in July when I had my daughter's results. I highly recommend it. They give out some really useful information that is not necessarily on their web sites and they are blatantly honest when replying to questions. So to future applicant parents, phone, email etc. They do reply and very promptly too! July seems to be the quiet time for them, so make the most of it!☺️
P.S this is nobody2U not Euapp!🤣🤣DD is doing her sport,I'm doing the dutiful Mum but don't have my phone so I've pinched hers, but promised not to go onto the youngsters site!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Euapp
I'm doing the dutiful Mum but don't have my phone so I've pinched hers, but promised not to go onto the youngsters site!!

😂😂😂
Reply 28
Original post by Euapp
Well done to DS. I know the feeling of relief when that first offer comes through!! My daughter would have loved Glasgow, but having done the French bac with the dual programme French/ English we were warned not to apply. It's funny how different Unis view different qualifications. Cambridge treat it as the equivalent of 5 A levels ( as they are responsible for the programme it's not really a surprise), Bristol love it, but the Scottish vet schools don't like it at all.
So if there are any parents of next year applicants reading this, it really is important to know inside out and back to front the entrance requirements for each establishment. Not just A levels, but GCSE grades as well. They do vary, and it's enough to make the difference between interview or not. I've read on the main applicant thread so many stories from disappointed teenagers who just didn't realise this and thought that their A*'s were going to guarantee them a place. Even with all the grades and work experience nothing is certain, so throwing chances away through lack of research is just such a shame, and I do wonder where the parents and school career services were at the time of submitting applications to UCAS.
Being abroad we had to do it on our own, so maybe I was over cautious. I literally phoned each admissions tea in July when I had my daughter's results. I highly recommend it. They give out some really useful information that is not necessarily on their web sites and they are blatantly honest when replying to questions. So to future applicant parents, phone, email etc. They do reply and very promptly too! July seems to be the quiet time for them, so make the most of it!☺️
P.S this is nobody2U not Euapp!🤣🤣DD is doing her sport,I'm doing the dutiful Mum but don't have my phone so I've pinched hers, but promised not to go onto the youngsters site!!

That confused me for a minute, well done to your daughter, she is a great support on the other thread. I will echo what you said about the research and knowing the entry requirements inside out. My son unfortunately got a 5 in his English GCSE which really did limit his options. Some Universities specify a B(6) in English, others say B(5) or in Bristol's case C(4). Like you, I called Liverpool and Nottingham and asked if they would consider him with that GCSE if he met the other GCSE & A level requirements and had the work experience required and both said his application would not be considered. Notts said they would accept a resit, but they would require a 7, which was never going to happen! He was still able to apply to 4 vet schools though, but knowing each Universities entry requirements and application process is so important. While my son's school is excellent, they are advising so many students I wouldn't want to rely on them checking every application meets the requirements.
Original post by RNJ35
That confused me for a minute, well done to your daughter, she is a great support on the other thread. I will echo what you said about the research and knowing the entry requirements inside out. My son unfortunately got a 5 in his English GCSE which really did limit his options. Some Universities specify a B(6) in English, others say B(5) or in Bristol's case C(4). Like you, I called Liverpool and Nottingham and asked if they would consider him with that GCSE if he met the other GCSE & A level requirements and had the work experience required and both said his application would not be considered. Notts said they would accept a resit, but they would require a 7, which was never going to happen! He was still able to apply to 4 vet schools though, but knowing each Universities entry requirements and application process is so important. While my son's school is excellent, they are advising so many students I wouldn't want to rely on them checking every application meets the requirements.

We had the English issue too. Luckily realised just after GCSE results that he needed a B - he was 1 mark off a B originally and it was remarked but didn’t change. He had changed schools, so luckily his old school put him in for a resit at very short notice (cost me ££’s 🙄), and he got the grade. We’d also booked him in for English at his new school under a different syllabus just in case the resit didn’t work. I personally think parental support and research is so important for this course, because there is so little support out there. Forums like this are a godsend.
I'm back!!:h:
I think that vet med is such a minefield that the kids do need someone to help, whether school or a parent. It doesn't surprise me that there is poor diversity in the profession. More, somehow, should be done to help those who perhaps don't have parents who went to university, or who understand evidence based applications. Maybe our lot should be the ones to offer this help, maybe to those who don't find their way to these chats. Just a thought.....
Reply 32
Your daughter is a mighty young woman. Always supporting the others. She's a credit to you.

Original post by Nobody2u
I'm back!!:h:
Original post by Corkabu
Your daughter is a mighty young woman. Always supporting the others. She's a credit to you.

Thank you! Her brother and sister did a good job on her!! But seriously, I have been so impressed by the maturity and kindness shown by a number of youngsters all through this process (@RambleAmple, @ Aliaa03, to name but a few) They have constantly been there offering help and advice to other applicants, congratulating when things go well, providing virtual shoulders to cry on when it becomes more difficult. They are a group to be proud of and I'm sure they'll make excellent vets. I wish them all luck, they deserve it!
I think that vet med is such a minefield that the kids do need someone to help, whether school or a parent. It doesn't surprise me that there is poor diversity in the profession. More, somehow, should be done to help those who perhaps don't have parents who went to university, or who understand evidence based applications. Maybe our lot should be the ones to offer this help, maybe to those who don't find their way to these chats. Just a thought.....

I think there is an inter university vet student group that exists, and I believe they have published a document along the lines of busting 5 myths connected with the application process. Obviously it's just a beginning, but going further is a bit delicate when they are not allowed to publish precise details of the application process and the types of questions asked. Contextual offers and foundation years have started to address the problem and it's a lot more egalitarian than when I applied to Uni over 3 decades ago, but effectively a lot remains to be done.
Reply 35

Indeed, it is probably the work experience that catches a lot of people out. I had a chance conversation with the mum of one of my son's friends around the time that he said he would like to apply for veterinary, not realising her older son was a vet student. She panicked me when she mentioned all the weeks of work experience that her son did as at that point we were a bit naive about just what was required. It also isn't the sort of thing that can be left to the last minute as vet practices have so many students wanting to get work experience, you do need to be organised and apply plenty of time in advance. My son was lucky as he spent 2 weeks in the local vet hospital before covid restrictions hit and while he had some interesting stuff lined up last year which was all cancelled, he found farms and stables were very happy to have a few weeks of 'free labour' in the summer that made up what he needed.
Reply 36
Original post by Nobody2u
Thank you! Her brother and sister did a good job on her!! But seriously, I have been so impressed by the maturity and kindness shown by a number of youngsters all through this process (@RambleAmple, @ Aliaa03, to name but a few) They have constantly been there offering help and advice to other applicants, congratulating when things go well, providing virtual shoulders to cry on when it becomes more difficult. They are a group to be proud of and I'm sure they'll make excellent vets. I wish them all luck, they deserve it!

100% agree.
Hi. My dd will be applying this year for 2022 entry. She’s year 12 currently and studying hard for her end of years exams.
She’s been doing wex since she was 14 although I know that some universities don’t normally count that. She’s done lambing, dairy and stables since lockdown but getting into a vet practice is really hard. They’re obviously prioritising actual vet students this summer but hopefully she’ll get something, maybe working Saturdays. She’s done a few online courses and is doing the Medic mentor virtual wex thing. She has done clinical but her first stint was in December 2018 and then again in Feb/March 2020 for 7 Saturdays only.
I appreciate that everyone is in the same situation although I’ve just seen the RVC requirements and they do want 70 hours of clinical to be completed by July 2022 if you get an offer.
I agree that all of this involves a lot of planning and we have talked about what to do if she doesn’t get in first time. She’s a summer baby so I actually view taking a year out as positive.
Great to see a 2022 applicant parent here!
Firstly I wouldn't worry about the amount of clinical experience had by your DD. They were flexible this year, and most likely will be next year as well. That being said, the vast majority of applicants had the necessary, if only just. The time line for this experience varies from school to school, but worse case scenario I think is 24 months so your DD seems to be covered. (But please do check as each school is different, and a little mistake can be very costly!)The online courses were counted as one week or 35 hours in this round of applications, so there again you seem to be doing well.
As for a year out, it's not me that will say it's a bad thing. My DD had school days that started at 5:30 every morning, never getting back before 7pm, combined with high level sport. We made a conscious decision to limit the stress and apply only once she had her grades, but another solution would be to ask for deferred entry. That way, in a worse case scenario you get 2 attempts for the same start date.
This year "off" has been a god send. She's dedicated half her time to her sport, something she'll probably have to stop once at Uni, and also got a part time job in a supermarket. Admittedly it wasn't very glamorous, but with COVID, it's allowed her to get out of the house, spend time with other students, and really grow into a more confident, self assured and mature young adult. I'm definitely less worried about her being a thousand miles away from home next year than I would have been if she'd gone straight out of school. This was just a personal choice, and may not be for everyone, but for us it most definitely was not a wasted year.
Good luck to you and your DD, we are here if you need any advice etc, but you seem to have got the basics well covered already.
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks Euapp’s mum.
This is definitely an application that needs a lot of thought and preparation.
I hope she gets in first time but we’re realistic that she might not. At her lambing wex at Easter, 3 out of the 4 vet students she met had done a degree first and then got onto Vet Med. in all of those cases it was because they didn’t get an A in Chemistry. We’ve decided that she’ll re-take or re-apply rather than do a non-Vet med degree.
I think she’s on target to get the grades and luckily her CAG GCSE grades were good so I’m hopeful she should get an offer 🤞🏻
She’s undecided on her 4 out of: RVC, Liverpool, Bristol, Nottingham and Surrey.
I have concerns about Bristol and Nottingham though. Is it true that Bristol’s equine hospital is closing or has closed? How will the students get the experience they would have got had it remained open?
With regards to Nottingham. If there are 2 intakes per year (September to March/April to August) surely they have less learning time in that each cohort’s academic time must be less than a course which is September to May/June (or whenever they usually finish). Does it mean that they work harder when they are at Nottingham as they have to cover the syllabus in less time?
I’m sure these are questions which can be answered even if there are only virtual tours available this summer.
Those of you that picked your Universities was it mainly the location or the teaching methods that swayed you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending