The Student Room Group

Parents of vet med applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anxiety attack
I provide mine with a Motorola phone and a 3.99 sim card with ID.
It's unlimited texts and 120 minute's plus 250 mb of data. They always use WiFi so it has never been a problem.

Really? 250 mb? I'm not worried about call time as the youngsters don't actually seem to use telephones for talking, unless their parents call them! but for data, even with wifi at school and at home they seem to use 3GB at least here. Maybe it's something to do with the 2 to 3 hours a day spent in public transport that shouldn't be a problem next year, but 250mb seems to be cutting it a bit fine. Maybe DS's are more reasonable than DD's that seem to be permanently linked to the latest music trends and allergic to downloads that apparently can't keep up.
Original post by ReadingMum
Daughter has the same contract she had at home which is probably overkill but there are areas in college that are not so great for wifi. It has been a weird year for usage so we will review- she did really need the calls when lambing for example and some of her work experience prior to uni was in the middle of nowhere so having the phone with plenty of plan left was good from a safety point of view.

So how much data and calls etc?
Original post by Nobody2u

I'll try and find out later - O2 won't let me log in to see right now.
Reply 63
Don't worry, it's not urgent! I'm just trying to get as many details as possible sorted out early on to avoid panicking later.
Reply 64
I was hoping that by adding my email account to DD's telephone I'd be able to reply as myself but apparently not!!😕
I've managed!!🤣
Can I ask about laptops. My daughter has a MacBook, but I’ve heard that sometimes the software needed for University programmes can be incompatible. Does anyone know if that’s the case for Vet Med?
I’ve got ages for this but I’m a massive planner 🤷*♀️
Original post by Cgodfrry
Can I ask about laptops. My daughter has a MacBook, but I’ve heard that sometimes the software needed for University programmes can be incompatible. Does anyone know if that’s the case for Vet Med?
I’ve got ages for this but I’m a massive planner 🤷*♀️

I don't know about vet med, but my 2 eldest plus the cousins have all had Mac's at Uni and have had no problems. Maybe @ReadingMum will be able to shed some light.
My son, an engineering student has a desk top but no laptop. He needs to run weird programmes which are not supported by laptops. My daughters both had mac books for their law/languages degrees. I anticipate vet med will entail nothing out of the ordinary and any Windows or mac computer will be fine. They will just want good WiFi speed for Netflix!
My daughter uses a MacBook and iPad combo and is fine.

She has 25Gb data, unlimited calls and texts. On average, according to O2, she uses 2.27Gb data, 1 text and 8 mins of calls!
She has used 5Gb this month with lambing and travel to it
Fibre optic ??
Fibre optic ??

hey! :smile:

this website is absolutely amazing for finding the cheapest deal for a phone as it compares prices from every different provider, my family usually goes with EE for phones, and the iphone 12 was £70/ month through EE which i thought was ridiculous, and i found it for £38/month on this website!!! i’d definitely recommend checking it out!

https://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk
@aliaa03 THANK YOU!! France is so far behind the U.K in most things, but phone contracts are the exception. All calls and texts are unlimited and free, and internet is fibre optic into each house. Euapp can't wait to get to England,she's always felt more at home there, but she's going to have to get used to 3 things: 1) cold weather 2) the lack of café culture, and 3) slower internet and expensive mobile bills!!🤣
@aliaa03 THANK YOU!! France is so far behind the U.K in most things, but phone contracts are the exception. All calls and texts are unlimited and free, and internet is fibre optic into each house. Euapp can't wait to get to England,she's always felt more at home there, but she's going to have to get used to 3 things: 1) cold weather 2) the lack of café culture, and 3) slower internet and expensive mobile bills!!🤣

omg that’s so cool, I didn’t know you guys were from France!!!! I’ve been a couple of times and it’s BEAUTIFUL!!! I’m so jealous!!! tell her she needs to have sunscreen, an umbrella and gloves at all times 😂😂😂 the other day my friend sent me a video of her garden, there was snow on the floor, it was sunny on one side of the sky and the other half was rain 😭
Original post by ReadingMum
She has 25Gb data, unlimited calls and texts. On average, according to O2, she uses 2.27Gb data, 1 text and 8 mins of calls!
She has used 5Gb this month with lambing and travel to it

Thank you so much. I will definitely look into O2.
Original post by Euapp
Do you think things will be back to " normal" in September? Living outside of the U.K it's hard to appreciate the situation there. My 2 other children haven't stepped foot in their Unis for over a year, and the student experience has been far from ideal. Just hoping things will be better next year. ( still no telephone and fed up with P.C so squatting again)

hi again 😂 honestly I’m not sure about bristol but I looked at Surrey’s website regarding the 2021-2022 academic year and they said they’ll be continuing with what they call ‘hybrid’ learning, so they’ll continue to have some online lectures but in person practicals and dissections :smile: this could change later on toward September if the situation improves, but they said they don’t expect to be given permission to host large group events yet such as 150 students in a lecture hall, so I expect it’ll be similar or the same for bristol!
Original post by aliaa03
omg that’s so cool, I didn’t know you guys were from France!!!! I’ve been a couple of times and it’s BEAUTIFUL!!! I’m so jealous!!! tell her she needs to have sunscreen, an umbrella and gloves at all times 😂😂😂 the other day my friend sent me a video of her garden, there was snow on the floor, it was sunny on one side of the sky and the other half was rain 😭

Coat, gloves and umbrella are on the list, but she won't even use sunscreen here when it's 35°C!🤣
Thank you so much. I will definitely look into O2.

Tesco Mobile also have good deals & they run off the O2 network.
Reply 79

Don’t forget most student halls have very high speed fibre so there won’t be much change. Many of the student rentals do too. EUAPP is going to Bristol so she’ll be fine. My sons at Bristol UWE and has very fast Internet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending