The Student Room Group

Parents of vet med applicants

Scroll to see replies

If she doesn’t have any valid reason as to why she needs to start in 2024 as opposed to 2025 then I would just say honesty is the best policy. She could just say that she isn’t particularly interested in taking a gap year and that due to the fact it’s a long course she would rather just crack on as soon as possible.
There may well be others who have now decided they’d rather take a gap year, in which case they’d be asking for 2025 admission.
Ironically my daughter decided she wanted to take a gap year after she applied as she wanted to spend a last year competing internationally with her horses. Liverpool wouldn’t let her defer her offer though!
Oh we weren't intending to. Lie but I was just wondering what circumstances would warrant them to give preference to starting in 2024. Liverpool is her back up plan anyway
Original post by Duransian
If she doesn’t have any valid reason as to why she needs to start in 2024 as opposed to 2025 then I would just say honesty is the best policy. She could just say that she isn’t particularly interested in taking a gap year and that due to the fact it’s a long course she would rather just crack on as soon as possible.
There may well be others who have now decided they’d rather take a gap year, in which case they’d be asking for 2025 admission.
Ironically my daughter decided she wanted to take a gap year after she applied as she wanted to spend a last year competing internationally with her horses. Liverpool wouldn’t let her defer her offer though!
I really didn’t mean it like that so I’m sorry if it appeared to come across that way.
I just meant that if she doesn’t have any reasons such as the ones @Euapp has mentioned then she should just explain that she would rather start now instead of waiting until next year 😊
Good luck - let us know what happens!
The dreaded 'on hold' email came from RVC this morning. It's her 1st choice so this sort of leaves her hanging for another 2 months, I prefer Liverpool so would've preferred a straight rejection.

It's out of our control so will just wait and see, no way of knowing where she is on the list or how long it is, not that it would really help anyway!

She's disappointed & although I want to tell her never mind, I know how much it means to her so I'll let her be sad for a while & just provide copios amounts of chocolate.
Original post by Duransian
I really didn’t mean it like that so I’m sorry if it appeared to come across that way.
I just meant that if she doesn’t have any reasons such as the ones @Euapp has mentioned then she should just explain that she would rather start now instead of waiting until next year 😊
Good luck - let us know what happens!

I know you didn't but just wanted to make sure everyone knew I wasn't going to work the system. We have written an enthusiastic email expressing her understanding but also her preference for 2024. In the mean time she is keeping her nose in a book (I hope).
We have uncertainty of Liverpool 2024 v 2025 but she is trying to keep focused. You dd has to focus on her a levels but luckily knows she is off to vet school in September. She will be fine in a day or 2.
Student Finance England is opening applications for full-time undergraduate courses for 2024 entry on Monday 11 March. Put a reminder in your calendar. :cyber:
Mine has heard back from her final choice today with an offer from RVC Gateway. Very relieved, she'll now be firming Liverpool & putting RVC as insurance.
It takes the Alevel pressure off a little & I'm over the moon the application process is now done with. Will certainly be opening a bottle of something strong tonight to celebrate.

How's everyone else getting on?
Original post by 06parent
Mine has heard back from her final choice today with an offer from RVC Gateway. Very relieved, she'll now be firming Liverpool & putting RVC as insurance.
It takes the Alevel pressure off a little & I'm over the moon the application process is now done with. Will certainly be opening a bottle of something strong tonight to celebrate.

Congratulations all round
Reply 889
Original post by 06parent

Looks like you have the ideal combination of offers with a great first choice and a real insurance offer. Many would love to be in your D’s shoes. Enjoy the celebration. It is well deserved. My D did her first stitches on something alive this week and is really thrilled to be putting the theory into practice. Time flies past so quickly…..
Original post by Euapp
Looks like you have the ideal combination of offers with a great first choice and a real insurance offer. Many would love to be in your D’s shoes. Enjoy the celebration. It is well deserved. My D did her first stitches on something alive this week and is really thrilled to be putting the theory into practice. Time flies past so quickly…..

100%, in a really fortunate position & feeling so grateful. Also relieved & finding it a bit surreal!
After the initial disappointment of being rejected from Surrey without interview, then rejection from Aber followed by being waitlisted for RVC it's been a brutal bumpy road.
Taking our daughter to Nottingham this weekend, the end of 1 journey and the start of another. Good luck to everyone.
Original post by Vetdaddy
Taking our daughter to Nottingham this weekend, the end of 1 journey and the start of another. Good luck to everyone.

Hope she has a great 1st term!
Original post by happyplace11
Hope she enjoys it. The September lot have just finished their lectures and are on exam/AHEMS leave until exams in May 😬

Well that is something you certainly don't get at Cambridge- lectures and practicals run right up to the exams :frown:
Original post by ReadingMum
Well that is something you certainly don't get at Cambridge- lectures and practicals run right up to the exams :frown:

That’s Cambridge for you 😂
Reply 895

Same as at Bristol. Lectures right up until the end.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by Euapp
Same as at Bristol. Lectures right up until the end.

Lucky for the Notts students then it would seem. My daughter is certainly not complaining 😂

Same at UCLan
Original post by Vetmum13
Same at UCLan
Looks like it’s just Nottingham then…
Reply 899
Original post by happyplace11
Looks like it’s just Nottingham then…

They all have to cover the same basics, so how they do it is up to them. Notts probably has a slightly different way of functioning because of the year having 2 cohorts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending