The Student Room Group
Someone last year here on TSR, applied to both UCL for Medicine and Biochemical Engineering and got into both.
Reply 2
What if you don't wanna apply to both? I would quite like to apply for ucl or imperial but i don't wanna apply for medicine (I am not sitting the BMAT)
I am doing that, with UCL. It does not matter, as long as the course you are applying for has some link to your PS. A science course etc with some overlap in Med or Biomed etc.

Although by saying this, I am not saying that you should try to direct some of your PS to your fifth choice
it could well matter at Manchester.
At UCL it's fine. Dunno about imperial, you're kidding yourself at oxbridge, bristol is fine, nottingham is fine, etc.
Reply 5
Darkshine
Ok so people applying for medicine generally have the grades to get into the top uni's so this brings about the obvious question of, is it worth applying to the top uni's for your 5th choice? I mean is somewhere like imperial going to accept you on a science course knowing that you want to study medicine?

yes i got uncond for imperial last year for a science course
ThePenguinMafia
it could well matter at Manchester.
At UCL it's fine. Dunno about imperial, you're kidding yourself at oxbridge, bristol is fine, nottingham is fine, etc.

I think the 'rules' also say that you can't apply to Oxford/Cambridge twice for different subjects,(e.g. Medicine and Biology at Oxford) or apply to both for the same subject(e.g. Medicine at Cambridge and Oxford).

(Not that anyone would be crazy enough to anyway!)
Reply 7
I went to a taster day at Imperial and the admissions guy said that they didn't mind if your personal statement was directed at medicine and you applied for say biomedical science there... they'd understand...
Reply 8
Biomedical science at UCL seems to be for people applying for medicine. I went to the open day and they expect your personal statement to be all about medicine. They seemed pretty surprised that someone wanted to just do that course not as a backup.
ellie91
Biomedical science at UCL seems to be for people applying for medicine. I went to the open day and they expect your personal statement to be all about medicine. They seemed pretty surprised that someone wanted to just do that course not as a backup.
there was actually a decent reason for that, I believe

iirc it's not acredited.

Though iirc you can use it to get onto neurosci. UCL has a really good neurosci dept.

Latest

Trending

Trending