The Student Room Group

KCL vs UCL: MSc Global Affairs/Security Studies/MA International Conflict

Hey everyone. I'm considering studying a Master's for 2022 entry, and I'm interested in hearing from people who've studied any of the following courses:

MSc Global Affairs (KCL), MA International Conflict Studies (KCL), MSc Security Studies (UCL), MSc Latin American Politics (UCL).

I'd love to hear from past or current students of any of these courses; what your thoughts are on the quality of teaching, what you felt you gained from studying, the strength of the professional networks, and how well-suited the course would be to my academic and professional ambitions.

About me: I'm interested in developing expertise in violent conflicts and peacebuilding, and with the roles corruption, inequality, state failure, media, and technology play in conflicts. Latin America is my main regional interest, and I'd like to pursue a career as a foreign correspondent reporting in the region or in international affairs between the UK and Latin America. I've spent most of my career in editorial and comms in tech and entertainment (I'm in my mid-20s), but I also have a portfolio of analysis pieces I've written about politics and international affairs in the Americas. I also have some travel experience in the region and language skills (intermediate Spanish, basic Portuguese) which I plan to double down on before starting a Master's. I recently began volunteering remotely with a peacebuilding organisation based between the UK and Colombia, and I hope to spend several months each in Colombia and Brazil, further improving my language skills, volunteering on the ground with peacebuilding and community organisations and looking for opportunities to report.

Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Any current/past students of these courses around? Or anyone with similar career goals with thoughts on the courses' suitability?
Reply 2
Maybe also look into SOAS, I think it's known for regional focus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending