The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Napier uni or Stirling uni

Hey! So I’ve been offered places in both Stirling Uni and Napier Uni to do nursing. I’m not from Scotland so honestly don’t know much about either and I’m really torn.
I have been to Edinburgh city several times and LOVE it.
From what I’ve read Napier isn’t that good of a uni in terms of academics.
I’ve heard Stirling has a better course.
My issue is I don’t want to be stuck out in Stirling with nothing to do and not have a good student experience.
I really need some advice and recommendations.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey! So I’ve been offered places in both Stirling Uni and Napier Uni to do nursing. I’m not from Scotland so honestly don’t know much about either and I’m really torn.
My issue is I don’t want to be stuck out in Stirling with nothing to do and not have a good student experience.

Hi! I can't really help with the courses but I live beside Stirling and I've been to the University plenty of times. I've also lived in Edinburgh. Stirling university campus is really nice and there are lots of activities to do within the campus, not to mention all the clubs and societies.

There are also plenty of walks within the campus and you're a 20-minute walk from the castle and the park. Bridge of Allan is a 10-minute walk and you have a good couple of pubs, bars and eateries.

I think you overestimate how big Scotland is and don't knock Stirling if you haven't been. Stirling is half an hour from Edinburgh and Glasgow by train. Not to mention you can go up north to Inverness if you want to get a weekend break.

Napier isn't in the city centre. So you won't spend that much time in the bits of Edinburgh you've seen on holiday. Furthermore, I really struggled with how touristy Edinburgh was when I lived there. Edinburgh has definitely become a tourist town, which is probably great if you're a tourist...not so much if you have to contend with that on a day-to-day basis.

Stirling is also cheaper than Edinburgh too. But I really think it's what you prefer if you really love the city, then Edinburgh is probably best. But if you like the city but don't want to live in it, I would definitely recommend stirling.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

hey their i was in the same spot even though i live in edinburgh it is true it’s a big city compared to stirling however it depends on what you’re going for with stirling the degree is much more recognisable or that’s what i been told it has a better name compared to napier however if you’re going nursing in napier i assume it’s the sight hill campus which is fairly in the city the social aspect might be really fun. I ended up choosing stirling because if i am spending my time studying it might be better to choose a uni that is more recognisable however i am doing law so i chose stirling because most people told me it’s better recognised for law. I have heard that night outs can be pretty fun in stirling city but I cant say anything as i haven’t experienced it yet but good luck with your decision
Hey!

Congratulations on your offer to study with us! Did you get the chance to attend our Virtual Applicant day? That was a really good time to meet our Academics and chat with them further, you would have also had the chance to speak with them during the interview process :smile:
Our Academic staff all have a background in working as nurses prior to working at Edinburgh Napier. The sudden adaptation to online learning and pressure for the healthcare sector has actually strengthened the teaching quality that is delivered with Edinburgh Napier, you can find out more here: https://en-gb.facebook.com/EdinburghNapierUniversity/videos/434112241033398/

Our staff and Academics are very hands-on from pre-application all the way through to your time as a student and support offered as a graduate - if you had any specific questions in relation to what you have read, I would be happy to assist you further :smile:

It helps that you have been to Edinburgh already so you know and are already familiar with the city and what it has to offer. Each city will offer its own unique student experience during your time as a student but it's down to personal preference.
Edinburgh is busy but that adds to the excitement of living there, it's really easy to commute via buses, trams or trains so you can travel to other cities in Scotland quite easily.

I hope this helps, best of luck with your decision :smile:

Steph @ ENU

Quick Reply

Latest