The Student Room Group

A level math helppppppppp

HI THANKS for clicking on my forum, can you help me with question 7? I'm not really sure how to find r^2
thanks for listening to my TED talks
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Additional-Assessment-Material/Maths/A-level/Edexcel/Pure/03.%20Coordinate%20Geometry%20QP.pdf

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by badoom1234
HI THANKS for clicking on my forum, can you help me with question 7? I'm not really sure how to find r^2
thanks for listening to my TED talks
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Additional-Assessment-Material/Maths/A-level/Edexcel/Pure/03.%20Coordinate%20Geometry%20QP.pdf

Have you sketched it? The x axis is a tangent to the circle so that gives r = ...
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Have you sketched it? The x axis is a tangent to the circle so that gives r = ...

0?
Reply 3
0?

Upload your sketch with the centre and relevant radius marked on.
you know the centre and you know one other point on the circle (where it crosses the x-axis). So find the distance between them.
(edited 2 years ago)
0?

a radius can't be 0 lol, centre (9,-6) basically means 9 to the right 6 down from the origin. Therefore since the point (9,0) is on the circle and the centre is (9,-6) the radius is...
Reply 6
Original post by Qxi.xli
you know the centre and you know one other point on the circle (where it crosses the x-axis). So find the distance between them.

I don't know the x value for that point
I don't know the x value for that point

its going to be 9. It's right above the centre. This is why another user recommended drawing a labelled diagram- it helps a lot.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by hhqurashi
a radius can't be 0 lol, centre (9,-6) basically means 9 to the right 6 down from the origin. Therefore since the point (9,0) is on the circle and the centre is (9,-6) the radius is...

wow okay now that makes a lott of sense, thank you for supporting me at my dumbest moment
wow okay now that makes a lott of sense, thank you for supporting me at my dumbest moment

np lol, we all miss the bigger picture sometimes
Original post by hhqurashi
np lol, we all miss the bigger picture sometimes

everytime i look at that question it just seems more and more obvious damn :frown:. I'm ashamed to say it but i'm stuck on part b too
everytime i look at that question it just seems more and more obvious damn :frown:. I'm ashamed to say it but i'm stuck on part b too

Have you sketched the solutions? It really does help.
Original post by mqb2766
Have you sketched the solutions? It really does help.

i've put a line cutting the circle at two points P and Q but I don't understand how I can use the given distance to calculate the points. Also, the line of drawn ive given the equation y=c because it's parallel to the x-axis. I'm thinking that you need to sub the y=c into the equation of the circle and the use the discriminant to maybe find the c value by getting rid of the x's but then i'm not using the given distance so I don't thikn that method would work
i've put a line cutting the circle at two points P and Q but I don't understand how I can use the given distance to calculate the points. Also, the line of drawn ive given the equation y=c because it's parallel to the x-axis. I'm thinking that you need to sub the y=c into the equation of the circle and the use the discriminant to maybe find the c value by getting rid of the x's but then i'm not using the given distance so I don't thikn that method would work

Can you upload your sketch? You should have two lines as there are two solutions, and make sure you mark on relevant radii, as per the previous part.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Qxi.xli
its going to be 9. It's right above the centre. This is why another user recommended drawing a labelled diagram- it helps a lot.

Yeah thank you! I drew a diagram but i jjust didn't think about that
Original post by mqb2766
Can you upload your sketch? You should have two lines as there are two solutions, and make sure you mark on relevant radii, as per the previuos part.

why would i have two lines excluding the radii?
why would i have two lines excluding the radii?

Id be happy to see a sketch with one line on.
Its easier to explain - see what youre tihinking.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Id be happy to see a sketch with one line on.
Its easier to explain - see what youre tihinking.

WIN_20210503_20_21_31_Pro.jpg
(edited 2 years ago)
WIN_20210129_11_00_45_Pro.jpg

? That has me thoroughly confused ...
hey as there are people active on this forum, can i ask a mechanics question:
for part a). do you integrate , then c= 36i then substitute t=4 into equation and then that's it ?
for part b). if it's perpendicular to i does that mean i component = 0 ? then you can calculate t from that ?
for part iii). do you differentiate to get v then make it equal to 5 and then calculate t from that ?
much appreciated if i get a response soon because i have a stats + mechanics test tomorrow and i feel very unprepared thannks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest