The Student Room Group

A level math helppppppppp

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inara_30
hey as there are people active on this forum, can i ask a mechanics question:
for part a). do you integrate , then c= 36i then substitute t=4 into equation and then that's it ?
for part b). if it's perpendicular to i does that mean i component = 0 ? then you can calculate t from that ?
for part iii). do you differentiate to get v then make it equal to 5 and then calculate t from that ?
much appreciated if i get a response soon because i have a stats + mechanics test tomorrow and i feel very unprepared thannks :smile:

Pls start your own thread.
Original post by mqb2766

why ? the forum literally says alevel helpppppp
Original post by mqb2766

sorry i changed the photo
why ? the forum literally says alevel helpppppp

Because this thread is sorting out another question. Pls post your own thread to get it answered.
yeah

hey as there are people active on this forum, can i ask a mechanics question:
for part a). do you integrate , then c= 36i then substitute t=4 into equation and then that's it ?
for part b). if it's perpendicular to i does that mean i component = 0 ? then you can calculate t from that ?
for part iii). do you differentiate to get v then make it equal to 5 and then calculate t from that ?
much appreciated if i get a response soon because i have a stats + mechanics test tomorrow and i feel very unprepared thannks :smile:

you're right :smile:
Original post by mqb2766
Because this thread is sorting out another question. Pls post your own thread to get it answered.

ah i see ok thanks sorry about that :smile:
Original post by badoom1234
yeah

you're right :smile:

thank you !!
sorry i changed the photo

Ok

WIN_20210503_20_21_31_Pro.jpg

Its not very accurate as it looks like the y axis is a tangent and it appears PQ is almost a diameter.
Can you improve it a bit?
thank you !!

npp but next time make sure you start your own thread :smile:
npp but next time make sure you start your own thread :smile:

yup sorry about that i'm new here so i didn't know this was a thing :smile:
Original post by mqb2766
Ok

Its not very accurate as it looks like the y axis is a tangent and it appears PQ is almost a diameter.
Can you improve it a bit?

WIN_20210503_20_28_37_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210503_20_28_37_Pro.jpg

Ok thats better. WHat radii may be important to mark on?
Is there another position the line could be?
Original post by mqb2766
Ok thats better. WHat radii may be important to mark on?
Is there another position the line could be?

ah okay i make a triangle? connecting the centre of the circle to the two points
ah okay i make a triangle? connecting the centre of the circle to the two poin

Yes, then what do you need to work out to get the equation of the line?
Original post by mqb2766
Yes, then what do you need to work out to get the equation of the line?

i need the y value of the line which I can get by doing pythagoras to calculate the length of the centre to the base of the line and then subtract that value with the y value of the circle?
i need the y value of the line which I can get by doing pythagoras to calculate the length of the centre to the base of the line and then subtract that value with the y value of the circle?

Yes, and the other solution (other parallel line with chord of length 8) can be written down (very similar).
I told you little about how to solve it apart from drawing a sketch and marking the important info on.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Yes, and the other solution (other parallel line with chord of length 8) can be written down (very similar).
I told you little about how to solve it apart from drawing a sketch and marking the important info on.

thank you so much for the walkthrough that really helped me, to make sure, are the two values (5,-10.5(3sf)) and (14,-10.5(3sf))?
thank you so much for the walkthrough that really helped me, to make sure, are the two values (5,-10.5(3sf)) and (14,-10.5(3sf))?

What two values? Youre asked for the equations of two lines. You dont have to calculate P and Q. Also the x difference in those points is 9, not 8.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
What two values? Youre asked for the equations of two lines. You dont have to calculate P and Q. Also the x difference in those points is 9, not 8.

sorry i meant the equation of the line
sorry i meant the equation of the line

The equation of the line is ... Youve given two (incorrect) points (not P and Q) - but its largely irrelevant.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest