The Student Room Group

Anyone do freelance writing here?

I want to do it and am ready to start now but I just don't know how to get started.

If you have any insight, let me know please!
Reply 1
Original post by issawrap
I want to do it and am ready to start now but I just don't know how to get started.

If you have any insight, let me know please!

I'm a medical writer, alongside this I also do some freelance copy-editing and writing for a science marketing website.

'Freelance Writing' is very vague as there so many different types of writing available. What particular kind of writing is it you'll be interested in?
Reply 2
Original post by lilGem
I'm a medical writer, alongside this I also do some freelance copy-editing and writing for a science marketing website.

'Freelance Writing' is very vague as there so many different types of writing available. What particular kind of writing is it you'll be interested in?

I don't have anything specific in mind but just content writing/blog writing/academic writing. That kind of thing. Editing and proofreading, too.
Reply 3
I don't have anything specific in mind but just content writing/blog writing/academic writing. That kind of thing. Editing and proofreading, too.

What level of education do you possess? (Apologies for the questions, just want to make sure I can give the correct advice)
Reply 4
Original post by lilGem
What level of education do you possess? (Apologies for the questions, just want to make sure I can give the correct advice)

In my second year of uni
Reply 5
In my second year of uni

Okay- that's a good starting point. If there is something like a writing society you can build up your portfolio before approaching companies. Depending on your sector of interest (science?) there are occasionally websites that are looking for freelancers or editors, however it often helps if you have some level of experience or portfolio. You may find you need to do an assessment to determine your quality of work or editing.

I can try and direct you to some companies who are often taken on freelancers on a rolling basis if you're interested in the scientific sector.
Original post by lilGem
Okay- that's a good starting point. If there is something like a writing society you can build up your portfolio before approaching companies. Depending on your sector of interest (science?) there are occasionally websites that are looking for freelancers or editors, however it often helps if you have some level of experience or portfolio. You may find you need to do an assessment to determine your quality of work or editing.

I can try and direct you to some companies who are often taken on freelancers on a rolling basis if you're interested in the scientific sector.

Hey buddy any insights on how you enroll freelances?
I am a statistician and would really love if you continued with this thread and shed some light on it.
It was my part-time job some time ago. I'll suggest you start with some article/blog writings as this field doesn't require specific knowledge (in most cases) and have an enormous amount of offers available online.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending