The Student Room Group

Killer Queen vs Chicago Hard to Say I'm Sorry 12 Mark Essay

Hi all,

I take GCSE Pearson Edexcel Music and in a few days I have my last exam which is the essay question. We have been told it will be on Release and about Harmony, Instrumentation and Tech I believe. I am doing a practice essay which is on Killer Queen (the two have some similarities in a way) and it is comparing with Chicago "Hard to Say I'm Sorry". The question is "Compare how each song uses melody, tonality and harmony to convey the different atmospheres". I'm really stuck for analysis. Could someone help please? Thanks so much!

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/music-2016.coursematerials.html#%2FfilterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:biggrin:ocument-Type%2FSummer-2021-assessment-materials-for-students
Reply 1
Original post by mupu26
Hi all,

I take GCSE Pearson Edexcel Music and in a few days I have my last exam which is the essay question. We have been told it will be on Release and about Harmony, Instrumentation and Tech I believe. I am doing a practice essay which is on Killer Queen (the two have some similarities in a way) and it is comparing with Chicago "Hard to Say I'm Sorry". The question is "Compare how each song uses melody, tonality and harmony to convey the different atmospheres". I'm really stuck for analysis. Could someone help please? Thanks so much!

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/music-2016.coursematerials.html#% 2FfilterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:biggrin:ocument-Type%2FSummer-2021-assessment-materials-for-students

The link is for where you can find the question in Summer 2021 Assessment Materials> Area of Study 2 btw
(edited 2 years ago)
The only points I could come up with were:

- Relatively slow harmonic rhythm
- Words like stay are particularly long, which you might just be able to argue is word painting and therefore melody
- Where is says 'hold me now' is a downward leap of a minor 6th, which is typically a 'sad' interval
- There's a sort of circle of fifths around bar 11-12
- Mostly syllabic --> I don't know what the effect of this would be

But other than that I have no idea...
If anyone else has any insight pleas share!
Reply 3
Original post by chipperpotato
The only points I could come up with were:

- Relatively slow harmonic rhythm
- Words like stay are particularly long, which you might just be able to argue is word painting and therefore melody
- Where is says 'hold me now' is a downward leap of a minor 6th, which is typically a 'sad' interval
- There's a sort of circle of fifths around bar 11-12
- Mostly syllabic --> I don't know what the effect of this would be

But other than that I have no idea...
If anyone else has any insight pleas share!

Those are really great I'd only noticed the first and last one. I would never have thought of the minor 6th thing thanks so much!! Appreciate any help
Original post by mupu26
Hi all,

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/music-2016.coursematerials.html#%2FfilterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:biggrin:ocument-Type%2FSummer-2021-assessment-materials-for-students

Hey what year paper is the killer queen vs chicago question xx
I have an exam in a week and I with the LEGIT same question
Hi,
I take GCSE Pearson Edexcel Music too and I have an exam in a week which has the LEGIT exact same question. "Killer Queen vs Hard to say I'm sorry talk about tonality, melody, harmony" 12 marker. I'm really stuck and I can't access any of the websites, essays. Could you help me out please? Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest