The Student Room Group

Driving eyesight test

I have booked my theory and will get my practical lessons in uni around October. I’m really scared for the eyesight test how long would you say your instructor made you read the plate. I know it’s 20 meters but they don’t measure it.
Original post by Anonymous
I have booked my theory and will get my practical lessons in uni around October. I’m really scared for the eyesight test how long would you say your instructor made you read the plate. I know it’s 20 meters but they don’t measure it.

I was in your position a few months ago when I did my test. Although I passed the test first time with my below-average eyesight, please do NOT risk driving without glasses. I made a massive mistake by doing my test without getting glasses and I realised after my test how much of a risk I was on the road by not having good eyesight. You may be scared to get glasses, but it's been the best decision I made and I can drive much better now because I can see signs and vehicles clearly. Do not take the risk, you will be risking yourself and others on the road. I was incredibly lucky that my examiner only asked me to read a plate that was around 15 metres away, but if it was 20 metres I would've failed there and then.

At my test centre, they had pre-measured 20 metres, having the plates on the wall and a marker painted on the floor for the person to stand on. If you have any doubts about your eyesight, get your eyes tested - don't put your life and others' lives at risk by driving when you know you can't see properly.
The test centre will have a pre-determined bay that they know is 20m away. If you flubb that, the test will be suspended immediately before you even get in the car.

As above, it's dangerous if you think you are anywhere near struggling to read a plate at that distance. Just book an opticians and let them know you want to check your eyesight with regards to driving.
my man worried about the eye test in the driving test 😅we need to shift priorities young man!
I was in your position a few months ago when I did my test. Although I passed the test first time with my below-average eyesight, please do NOT risk driving without glasses. I made a massive mistake by doing my test without getting glasses and I realised after my test how much of a risk I was on the road by not having good eyesight. You may be scared to get glasses, but it's been the best decision I made and I can drive much better now because I can see signs and vehicles clearly. Do not take the risk, you will be risking yourself and others on the road. I was incredibly lucky that my examiner only asked me to read a plate that was around 15 metres away, but if it was 20 metres I would've failed there and then.

I already wear glasses but I’m still really scared
Original post by yaren.rojin

When were your eyes last tested and did you mention that you were driving?

Why do you doubt the level of correction your glasses provide? You need to get another eye test if you think your eyesight may have deteriorated since your last test. Your glasses should correct your vision to as close to 20/20 as possible.
Original post by Admit-One
When were your eyes last tested and did you mention that you were driving?

I think around 8 months ago I’m going to book another test and mention it to them
I think around 8 months ago I’m going to book another test and mention it to them

Definitely worth doing considering how long it takes to get a test slot currently. No point failing before you get in the car.
Original post by Admit-One
Definitely worth doing considering how long it takes to get a test slot currently. No point failing before you get in the car.

That’s true however I will not do my theory as well if my doctor says it will be hard to pass so I will cancel my test
Reply 11
Its really not that far, if your eyesight is this bad then with any luck your doctor will notify the DVLA and add it onto your licence as a requirement to wear glasses
Original post by TheDE
Its really not that far, if your eyesight is this bad then with any luck your doctor will notify the DVLA and add it onto your licence as a requirement to wear glasses

Yh I booked an appointment for Tuesday hopefully everything goes well and I can pass the test sight test
Reply 13
Yh I booked an appointment for Tuesday hopefully everything goes well and I can pass the test sight test

I've only ever had one eyesight failure. Fast forward a month and a letter arrived at the office for me, young lad thanking me as he didn't realise he needed glasses, finds it easier to concentrate and his headaches have stopped. I'm sure if you already have glasses you will be fine.
Reply 14
Have the same issue’ I can just see the number plate from 21m , got my test booked for January, so worried:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending