The Student Room Group

Going to Bristol university for masters degree where to stay?

I have accepted an offer to start the Global Wildlife Health and Conservation (MSc) at Bristol in September 2021 it is at Langford campus now I am unsure whether to move into halls or move into private accomodation. What is usually the done thing with masters students? And is there anything I should be aware of?
Original post by Joelandale
I have accepted an offer to start the Global Wildlife Health and Conservation (MSc) at Bristol in September 2021 it is at Langford campus now I am unsure whether to move into halls or move into private accomodation. What is usually the done thing with masters students? And is there anything I should be aware of?

Dormitories for Postgraduate students are normally more expensive than Undergrad Dorms, as universities boast ore privacy, en-suite options ect. They don;t make it explicit whether a postgrad can bunk with undergrads either. To me, Postgrad accommodation at universities are money-making schemes, as there's no real justification for forcing more amenities on postgrad students to live on campus, especially when universities know the highest loan amount from Student Finance wouldn't cover their accommodation and tuition fees totaled together. It's bad for business in my opinion.

You can find private accommodation, which is normally MUCH cheaper, for just Postgraduate students. I live in such a place, although I live in Plymouth. The landlady here only accepts mature students or postgrad students. So, this lowers the chance of being bunked with party animals, layabouts, drug users ect. If shared postgrad houses exist here in Plymouth, then they'll most definitely exist in Bristol with it being a much bigger city than Plymouth.

On a wildcard suggestion...could you relocate to Cardiff and commute to Bristol for your lectures? (Assuming your MA doesn't have seminars 5 days a week). Cardiff is a bit cheaper for rent, and the train is just a 15-20 minute journey into Bristol. A railcard will render the return tickets as dirt cheap too.
But obviously if you're not familiar with Bristol or Cardiff yet, this could make you anxious to travel between two cities, but it's just a possibility if all else fails!
Reply 2
Original post by JonoRoom5
Dormitories for Postgraduate students are normally more expensive than Undergrad Dorms, as universities boast ore privacy, en-suite options ect. They don;t make it explicit whether a postgrad can bunk with undergrads either. To me, Postgrad accommodation at universities are money-making schemes, as there's no real justification for forcing more amenities on postgrad students to live on campus, especially when universities know the highest loan amount from Student Finance wouldn't cover their accommodation and tuition fees totaled together. It's bad for business in my opinion.

You can find private accommodation, which is normally MUCH cheaper, for just Postgraduate students. I live in such a place, although I live in Plymouth. The landlady here only accepts mature students or postgrad students. So, this lowers the chance of being bunked with party animals, layabouts, drug users ect. If shared postgrad houses exist here in Plymouth, then they'll most definitely exist in Bristol with it being a much bigger city than Plymouth.

On a wildcard suggestion...could you relocate to Cardiff and commute to Bristol for your lectures? (Assuming your MA doesn't have seminars 5 days a week). Cardiff is a bit cheaper for rent, and the train is just a 15-20 minute journey into Bristol. A railcard will render the return tickets as dirt cheap too.
But obviously if you're not familiar with Bristol or Cardiff yet, this could make you anxious to travel between two cities, but it's just a possibility if all else fails!

Thanks I am going to look into private accomodation in Bristol I think however will not diamiss halls entirely as I would only go private for the price difference and if the rooms like higher quality! I like the idea of your wildcard suggestion however as it's my first year in Bristol I think it would be important to be close to other students from my uni like I want to go out and party a bit but course first sorta thing and worried that halls could just be like first year all over again and who really does well in first year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending