The Student Room Group

Should I do A level Maths????

Ok so I've been forced to pick A level Maths and I also want to sort of do it because it's needed in so many careers and Universities like it. I'm also doing A level Economics. The problem is, A level Maths looks really difficult and I don't think I can learn all the content in one year and then have a exam at AS level.
The reason why I may get a grade 8 for my GCSE maths is because spent 5 years going over it, some years I'd flop but it didn't matter because the only exams that mattered was at the end of year 11 (in the GCSEs). Additionally, my sixth form only has 25 students for A level Maths, and they are too smart, I'd be so confused in class with them 😭 I usually don't focus in Maths classes, I relied on MathsWatch to carry me for my GCSEs
Why don’t u try teaching urself a bit as a head start over the summer?
If u find it super hard then maybe a level maths isn’t for u... but if it’s manageable then u could even give urself a head start for yr 13 in yr 12 if needed :smile:
you dont need to learn all the content in one year, only as content and that should be manageable
I am teaching myself a bit, however I still don't know if I will get selected for A level Maths for sure. So I don't want to waste my summer revising a A level subject that I may not even be in, when I can be doing other A level subjects. My school closes for year 11s on the 27th of May, and the enrolment day is on August 12th. A lot of students may get 9s and I may not know about it. Also there will be a lot of external students applying with their high grades (my sixth form is basically the only good sixth form in the area lol). But yeah, I'll try and just summarise the A level content and then we'll see on results day.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sexyman12236
I am teaching myself a bit, however I still don't know if I will get selected for A level Maths for sure. My school closes for year 11s on the 27th of May, and the enrolment day is on August 12th. A lot of students may get 9s and I may not know about it. Also there will be a lot of external students applying with their high grades (my sixth form is basically the only good sixth form in the area lol). But ok, I'll try and just summarise the A level content and then we'll see on results day.

Wdym ‘summarise’ it’s maths not biology
Also idk if u meant it or not but stick to AS/yr 12 only, don’t move onto the yr 13 content bc u don’t need to in prep for yr 12!
Original post by Pls coulduhelpme
Wdym ‘summarise’ it’s maths not biology
Also idk if u meant it or not but stick to AS/yr 12 only, don’t move onto the yr 13 content bc u don’t need to in prep for yr 12!

Yeah, I watched some AS level MathsWatch clips. But the content is still large. It's basically everything in GCSE but 10x harder along with 3 new topics, differentiation, integration, and logarithms + exponents. And that's just Pure Maths (unless this is all to revise for y12). There's 78 clips, each roughly 10 minutes long. 780 minutes = 13 hours so yh it's manageable. I won't revise A level Maths that much, I'm going to study for other subjects too because my acceptance for A level Maths is not guaranteed, but it's obviously good to be prepared.
Original post by sexyman12236
Yeah, I watched some AS level MathsWatch clips. But the content is still large. It's basically everything in GCSE but 10x harder along with 3 new topics, differentiation, integration, and logarithms + exponents. And that's just Pure Maths (unless this is all to revise for y12). There's 78 clips, each roughly 10 minutes long. 780 minutes = 13 hours so yh it's manageable. I won't revise A level Maths that much, I'm going to study for other subjects too because my acceptance for A level Maths is not guaranteed, but it's obviously good to be prepared.

its not that much harder than gcse tbh
Original post by username5737602
its not that much harder than gcse tbh

Well then i don't know if we are doing the same maths A level because it is most definitely more difficult than GCSE !!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest