The Student Room Group

Which master's offer should I choose? (Queen's Belfast, Imperial or Uni of Edinburgh)

Hi everyone, I have just finished an undergraduate in Queen's University Belfast and have been offered master's positions in Uni of Edinburgh (MSc Biotechnology), Imperial College London (MSc Applied Biosciences and Biotechnology) and Queen's University Belfast (Molecular Biology and Biotechnology). I am having a very hard time choosing which one to go to... The fee's for Queen's are almost 50% of the other two unis (because I already did an undergrad here) but the courses in the other two unis are more established. I hope to go into either a PhD or an industrial research position after a master's. Does anyone have any experience with any of these three courses or any advice on how to choose? Thank you!!
Hi, Weigh up the relevant factors by giving a max rating for each criterion that is important to you, then rating each criterion in the 3 unis, then add up - sorry this sounds very scientific, but I am not known as Sheldon for nothing! :colondollar:

My info:-
Imperial: very good reputation and a masters from there [esp if you get distinction] will place you in an enviable position. [-ve]: expensive to live near Kensington or even generally in London [rent]].

Queens: [as you know already!] - Irish people are very friendly unlike e.g. Cockneys [sorry extreme example :frown:]; if you happen to be a guy, it might be important that there are a high %age of girls at this uni [I know this sounds irrelevant but let us face it: it is a real world - having said that, there will be no time for socializing - I have two masters degrees, so I can tell you now that the workload is heavy].

Edinburgh: I know the medicine course there is very good, so I would have thought other bio science depts will be good, too. I don't have any other info about this uni tho I have presented PG lectures at Glasgow uni, and I was impressed there.

Also, oc check out the course content for each uni on their websites [the fact that all 3 include Biotech makes choice even more diff [biotech is the future direction of medicine/biology].

Best wishes & be safe!
M.
Original post by pnanda1998
Hi everyone, I have just finished an undergraduate in Queen's University Belfast and have been offered master's positions in Uni of Edinburgh (MSc Biotechnology), Imperial College London (MSc Applied Biosciences and Biotechnology) and Queen's University Belfast (Molecular Biology and Biotechnology). I am having a very hard time choosing which one to go to... The fee's for Queen's are almost 50% of the other two unis (because I already did an undergrad here) but the courses in the other two unis are more established. I hope to go into either a PhD or an industrial research position after a master's. Does anyone have any experience with any of these three courses or any advice on how to choose? Thank you!!

Hi Pnanda1998,

Congratulations on completing your undergraduate and recieving offers to a masters degree :smile:
I have also decided to continue my studies at Queen's with a masters after undergrad. My reasons were similar to the one's you mentioned: the cheaper fees and the fact that I know the city and really like it here. I think it will be nice to be already established in my place of study while pursuing a more challenging degree. I am assuming that you have studied a Biology undergrad at Queen's, could you email your school/proffessors to find out about the modules, course and industry links?
I hope this helps,
Good Luck,
Team Queen's,
Charlotte, Third year, English and History
Reply 3
I would take into consideration what research areas the university focuses on- ie. what modules are thought on your course and what the lectures research areas are. I helped interview for a PhD position in our research group (I'm a PhD student) and it was clear between people who had good knowledge of our research and those who didn't. So the more aligned the course is to your research interests the better. But of course it depends on your financial situation, I continued on at my undergraduate university for the same reason (discount!) Good Luck and well done on getting multiple offers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending