The Student Room Group

Funded Masters Dilemma (?)

Ok, so I'm well aware that this probably looks like a no-brainer - but I'm in an anxious episode at the moment so hopefully I can snap out of it and stop worrying.

At the start of this academic year I wasn't looking at doing anything postgrad. Then I changed part way through, but the plan was to take a year off, apply with my undergrad in hand, and use the year to earn some money and focus on my applications. I ended up applying for one programme specifically because they were one of the only ones in my subject with scholarships available. I figured I'd apply for it, use it as a learning experience, and then reapply next year in the very likely chance that I didn't get it. Anyway, fast forward a few months and I got it. I'm so happy of course - I really wasn't expecting it - but in this time I'd gotten used to the idea of taking a year off and fully assessing my options.

The uni the scholarship is from is not as well ranked as my current one, but is decently ranked in my (pretty niche) subject area, and is one of about 5 which offer the kind of even more specific programme I'm interested in. I like the look of the course, but I'm worried that a) the department seem a little disorganised (although I'm aware they're very busy at the moment, and my current department can also seem disorganised, so I can't really complain) and b) there's still a question mark over what will happen in September teaching-wise considering the pandemic, but I assume that is the same everywhere.

I was planning on taking my time to decide but they've given me a nudge. I understand this is beyond a first world problem but I feel like it's still a big decision for the direction of my life, and I will also be in more debt even with the scholarship. It also feels so weird applying and getting accepted somewhere I haven't even visited because of the pandemic/finals. On the other hand, the other programmes I was planning to apply for in a year off are very competitive, and it's not even determined whether I'll get the right grades for them, and it is unlikely I'd get anywhere near this amount of funding if I did.

Sorry for the long post, I'd appreciate any advice even if it's just to tell me to stop being ridiculous :smile:
Reply 1
Can you not ask for a deferral to next year? That would give you the chance to apply to the other courses you’re looking at while having the security of this option, gives you some time to work and save up a bit more too so you can help with the debt a little better
Original post by arandomthrowaway
Ok, so I'm well aware that this probably looks like a no-brainer - but I'm in an anxious episode at the moment so hopefully I can snap out of it and stop worrying.

At the start of this academic year I wasn't looking at doing anything postgrad. Then I changed part way through, but the plan was to take a year off, apply with my undergrad in hand, and use the year to earn some money and focus on my applications. I ended up applying for one programme specifically because they were one of the only ones in my subject with scholarships available. I figured I'd apply for it, use it as a learning experience, and then reapply next year in the very likely chance that I didn't get it. Anyway, fast forward a few months and I got it. I'm so happy of course - I really wasn't expecting it - but in this time I'd gotten used to the idea of taking a year off and fully assessing my options.

The uni the scholarship is from is not as well ranked as my current one, but is decently ranked in my (pretty niche) subject area, and is one of about 5 which offer the kind of even more specific programme I'm interested in. I like the look of the course, but I'm worried that a) the department seem a little disorganised (although I'm aware they're very busy at the moment, and my current department can also seem disorganised, so I can't really complain) and b) there's still a question mark over what will happen in September teaching-wise considering the pandemic, but I assume that is the same everywhere.

I was planning on taking my time to decide but they've given me a nudge. I understand this is beyond a first world problem but I feel like it's still a big decision for the direction of my life, and I will also be in more debt even with the scholarship. It also feels so weird applying and getting accepted somewhere I haven't even visited because of the pandemic/finals. On the other hand, the other programmes I was planning to apply for in a year off are very competitive, and it's not even determined whether I'll get the right grades for them, and it is unlikely I'd get anywhere near this amount of funding if I did.

Sorry for the long post, I'd appreciate any advice even if it's just to tell me to stop being ridiculous :smile:

You can accept and then visit/consider in slow time and reject at any point down to not turning up on day 1 of the course. It's a bit lousy to delay too long in your case, because if you withdraw they can still reallocate the scholarship, but nothing is going to happen to you if you do that, except as a scholarship holder they are likely to remember your name if you reapply next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending