The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

University of Reading or Sussex

Hi guys,
I’m really struggling with which uni to choose.
I will be studying English language & linguistics but I’m not sure where I want to go.
Reading offers me the opportunity to study another language alongside my English however I don’t think Sussex uni offers this as I haven’t studied Spanish (my chosen language) before

The area in Sussex looks really good however I think the modules in reading seem better and clearer
I’m also struggling to find out about the areas and accommodations can anyone help x
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,
I will be studying English language & linguistics but I’m not sure where I want to go.
Reading offers me the opportunity to study another language alongside my English however I don’t think Sussex uni offers this as I haven’t studied Spanish (my chosen language) before

The area in Sussex looks really good however I think the modules in reading seem better and clearer
I’m also struggling to find out about the areas and accommodations can anyone help x

Hey, thanks for your question :smile:

I've not studied at Reading so unfortunately I'm unable to comment about the experience there, but as a Sussex student I can confirm that you'd be able to choose a language from scratch here! I myself chose Arabic from a beginners level (also known as Ab initio) in my 1st year as an elective and Ab initio Spanish is offered too. I had very little experience of my language before starting but you get taught assuming no prior experience at this level, so no worries if you've not studied Spanish before.

It's good that you're considering various different factors in choosing your uni as it's easy to get caught into just looking at league tables, which do give some insight but don't always paint the whole picture as they can vary a lot from course to course. I personally really enjoy Sussex's location as the campus has a lot of natural beauty and to my knowledge is the only UK university surrounded by a national park, which is really nice. Brighton's beach is also well known and it has a busy city centre too so has the best of all worlds which many students here appreciate. However I'm sure Reading is a great place to live too and I believe is a popular student town, so you'll be able to meet loads of new people and settle in wherever you go.

I would say though that one of the main factors in choosing one uni over another is the course, as ultimately that's what you'll be studying for 3 years (typically) and will be the backbone of your time at university. If you're unsure about any modules, I'd definitely suggest emailing the course convenor to answer any questions you may have. There's also a platform called UniBuddy where you can ask current students from certain subjects any questions you have too, which you can find below and they can provide insight into the day to day life of studying that subject. Unfortunately there aren't any students on the platform who study English and Linguistics, but there is a student who studies English and asking them for insight could still be helpful: https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/unibuddy

With regards to accommodation, I would point out that housing in Brighton (both on and off campus) is generally more expensive than most other student locations besides London. However having said, there are options catering to different budgets and many students get a part time job to support themselves during their studies, which there are a lot of within the university / students union / Brighton. Here's a link to the options available on campus which explains the different features of each accommodation and accompanying YouTube videos as well. https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/accommodation/on-campus

I would also recommend looking at each university's careers service and seeing how they compare. This is something which can get easily overlooked but is really important, as ultimately many students study a degree to not just explore a subject further in depth but to lay the foundations for a potential career path in mind too. My personal experience with Sussex's Careers and Employability Centre has been really positive as they helped me secure my Professional Placement Year, by assessing my CVs and helping me practice my interview skills.

Overall, I'd say that the main determining factor of a university is the course but other considerations such as location / distance from home / living costs / careers support are also important to consider too. If you believe that Reading has the best course for you, that could be the better choice but definitely do consider all of your options and do your research before committing to a final decision. Having said that though, regardless of whether you study at Sussex or Reading, I'm sure you'll have a great time at either!

I hope that helped to answer your questions but if there's anything else you wanted to ask, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

- Isthiak (BA History with Proficiency in Arabic, with a Professional Placement Year)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

Hello, thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, myself I have also not studied at the Reading University. However, as a current Sussex University undergraduate student, overall, I have definitely been pleased with the quality of the tuition and the support that I have received throughout my degree. Furthermore, as my colleague has already touched on, Brighton is a lovely place to live; both in terms of the culturally diverse and welcoming environment, as well as, the attractive scenery. For instance, myself I very much enjoy the long distance walks around the South Downs Park and along the beach - a potentially great way to relax and clear your head after a long day of studies! Furthermore, I have had so many opportunities to meet and get to know a vast number of students from all over the world and from a range of different cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. I do feel this has considerably boosted my awareness of the social issues and most definitely boosted my communication and networking skills. Moreover, the huge range of clubs and societies on offer and the availability of the numerous social events throughout the year; on campus and off-campus certainly do add to the university experience! Lastly, throughout my university journey, I have been fortunate to benefit from a fairly easy access to a vast number of employment options - something which I do believe has really boosted my career prospects, as well as, focussed my professional aspirations and ambitions; beyond what I have initially expected. Overall, it is crucial to think carefully about which university will fit your academic style and successfully accommodate all of your personal needs.

I wish you the best of luck, regardless of where you choose to study! All and all, please do let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to answer :smile:.

With regard to housing, I have only lived on campus throughout my degree (Northfield and Lewes Court en-suite flats). While I have had a positive experience at both of these accommodation types, Lewes Court would be my favourite; subject to the larger room size, more storage space and a slightly cheaper price. Let me know if you would like any more details about either of these housing options, or have any queries about any other flats; on or off campus :smile:.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student MSci with a Year Abroad)
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending