The Student Room Group

Do I have to ring Samaritans for help with depression?

I know you can ring Samaritans but I don’t feel comfortable talking over the phone especially when my parents can hear me. Is there any other way I can get help with my depression without my parents knowing?
Reply 1
Yes go outside and call them... See your GP (you can go without your perants knowing... Been going since I was 14). There's online services more like chat rooms.

Hope you are okay though OP there is help out there but your perants might be able to help you themselves. But I understand comepltly from experience why you want to not include them.
I'm sure there will be times when your parents have to go to work or something? Or can you talk in the garden?

Either way you should not be ashamed to talk to them, they are there to help
Reply 3
Original post by Max1989
Yes go outside and call them... See your GP (you can go without your perants knowing... Been going since I was 14). There's online services more like chat rooms.

Hope you are okay though OP there is help out there but your perants might be able to help you themselves. But I understand comepltly from experience why you want to not include them.

I don’t want my parents knowing because I don’t want to upset them and cause stress to my family
Reply 4
Original post by Jonathanツ
I'm sure there will be times when your parents have to go to work or something? Or can you talk in the garden?

Either way you should not be ashamed to talk to them, they are there to help

I know, it’s just I don’t want to upset my parents
Reply 5
Original post by j_x_k_e_1
I don’t want my parents knowing because I don’t want to upset them and cause stress to my family

I recommend seeing your GP they usually have a list of local organisations that can help you, it's all confidential and no one else has to know.

Don't be ashamed of reaching out, that's the most important step, your family love you and all they'd want to do is help, you aren't a burden to them or anyone else.

It's best to deal with depression in the early stages

They will be even more upset if you end up self-harming or something like that
(edited 2 years ago)
I know you can ring Samaritans but I don’t feel comfortable talking over the phone especially when my parents can hear me. Is there any other way I can get help with my depression without my parents knowing?

In addition to the other good points people have made, the Samaritans have an email service:

https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/write-email/
Childline also do a text message service where you can chat and don’t have to actually phone them- it’s not just about abuse and stuff it’s about support and mental health too :smile: so that might help?
Mind is a charity that offers advice and guidance.
Reply 10

How old are you?
(edited 2 years ago)
Maybe a school or college counsellor as well depending on your age op
https://www.mind.org.uk/need-urgent-help/using-this-tool
Use this link, or childline

I went to the doctors for depression in 2020, told my parents it was for 'period pain'. I filled out an online form, got a 10 min appointment, they gave me a prescription for meds and told me how to access a free online therapy course.
I did the course in Jan 2021 (on zoom, didn't have to talk to anyone) and after 6 weeks they referred me to a psychiatrist. I did 2 phone calls with them (I literally went for a walk while taking the calls) and I'm starting CBT in August.
Going to just one 10 min appointment can be life-changing.
I hope you find the help you need <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending