The Student Room Group

Second Degree Vet med

Hello everyone!

I am applying to university in September and ultimately want to be a vet by the end. I didn’t get the grades in GCSEs for normal vet medicine entry so I was thinking of doing one undergrad and then applying to graduate vet medicine.

My plan is to do my first degree, work for a year and then start my vet medicine degree. I’m stuck between choosing vet nursing or vet bioscience for the first degree though.

If I was to do vet nursing, I would gain clinical experience and would be able to practice as a vet nurse I order to save for the second degree.

If I was to do vet bioscience, I am unsure what job I could get in order to help with the payment of the vet medicine undergrad degree. I feel as though this degree would help me more with vet medicine though, but I’m struggling to think of how I would get the money for the second course with this degree.

Also, is there any way I can get funding for a graduate vet medicine degree? I’ve heard that you can not get a student loan for a second undergrad degree, so this relates back to my issue above.

Is anyone able to help?
Hiya!

I would urge you to consider resitting GCSEs in order to go directly onto a veterinary medicine course without doing a first degree. It's much, much cheaper and very much quicker as well. It seems that it would solve a lot of your problems regarding your questions above. Additionally, if you really want to be a vet, you'll get there quicker and not have to study something your passion is not in. :smile: It's worth also noting that the graduate courses are generally considered much more competitive and there's no guarantee you would get onto one after committing to a first degree with the aim of getting onto vet.

If you do still want to take the grad route, ultimately it doesn't matter which degree you take as long as it meets entry requirements so check these well. Pick which you are most interested in and you will perform best at - at the end of the day you still have to study it! I would not let clinical experience sway you towards becoming a nurse as there are many ways applicants get experience, however as you mentioned working as a nurse would allow you to work. So really it's up to you which you pick.

Finally, no, there is very little help for people doing a second degree. You will get a maintenance loan for living costs still (I believe) but your tuition fees will have to be funded by you. I don't know too much about if any scholarships or bursaries are offered, but even still it would be unlikely you're able to rely on getting them and best to have another plan in place.

I hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by louisvbird
Hiya!

I would urge you to consider resitting GCSEs in order to go directly onto a veterinary medicine course without doing a first degree. It's much, much cheaper and very much quicker as well. It seems that it would solve a lot of your problems regarding your questions above. Additionally, if you really want to be a vet, you'll get there quicker and not have to study something your passion is not in. :smile: It's worth also noting that the graduate courses are generally considered much more competitive and there's no guarantee you would get onto one after committing to a first degree with the aim of getting onto vet.

If you do still want to take the grad route, ultimately it doesn't matter which degree you take as long as it meets entry requirements so check these well. Pick which you are most interested in and you will perform best at - at the end of the day you still have to study it! I would not let clinical experience sway you towards becoming a nurse as there are many ways applicants get experience, however as you mentioned working as a nurse would allow you to work. So really it's up to you which you pick.

Finally, no, there is very little help for people doing a second degree. You will get a maintenance loan for living costs still (I believe) but your tuition fees will have to be funded by you. I don't know too much about if any scholarships or bursaries are offered, but even still it would be unlikely you're able to rely on getting them and best to have another plan in place.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Thank you so so much for the reply!

I’ve been looking into retaking my GCSES, however, it stills comes to be quite pricey since I’d have to retake 5-7 subjects :\ I know it’s still much cheaper than the degree route like you said, but I’m not really in the position to pay for the retakes.

I will definitely look into gcse retake option more though, you have been super helpful :smile:
Original post by savannahpoar03

I’ve been looking into retaking my GCSES, however, it stills comes to be quite pricey since I’d have to retake 5-7 subjects :\ I know it’s still much cheaper than the degree route like you said, but I’m not really in the position to pay for the retakes.

I will definitely look into gcse retake option more though, you have been super helpful :smile:

I understand. Although realistically you would be paying £36,000-£45,000 for the graduate route, and GCSEs can be resat for under a few hundred pounds.

I hope you find a route that works for you. Good luck with your studies. :smile:

Also, perhaps you could look into Bristol's vet course? They have relatively low gcse requirements. Just popped into my head.
Original post by louisvbird
Also, perhaps you could look into Bristol's vet course? They have relatively low gcse requirements. Just popped into my head.

I’ve had my heart set on Bristol vet nursing degree since September, but they recently changed their btec entry requirements. I have emailed them so I’m just waiting for a reply :smile:

Thank you for the suggestion!! :smile:
Reply 6
Hi, I am currently in college studying the btec level 3 extended diploma in animals management and am going on to do vet nursing next year. I have been doing work experience through the summer and have enjoyed it but have found that i am more interested in the vet med side than the nursing side. Because of my btec however i am not able to go straight into vet med so i will have to progress through veterinary nursing. This could be an option for you! I am aware that it would cost more to do two degrees but i feel that it is better to experience veterinary nursing before veterinary medicine because it will give you options and you will be qualified in both areas. I defenitely think that it would be better to do vet nursing because you would know the ins and outs of each job. Even though you will have to pay for the second degree there are multiple other grants and loans that could be awarded to you to help pay for your education.
I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose!
Original post by Lea438
Hi, I am currently in college studying the btec level 3 extended diploma in animals management and am going on to do vet nursing next year. I have been doing work experience through the summer and have enjoyed it but have found that i am more interested in the vet med side than the nursing side. Because of my btec however i am not able to go straight into vet med so i will haveHi to progress through veterinary nursing. This could be an option for you! I am aware that it would cost more to do two degrees but i feel that it is better to experience veterinary nursing before veterinary medicine because it will give you options and you will be qualified in both areas. I defenitely think that it would be better to do vet nursing because you would know the ins and outs of each job. Even though you will have to pay for the second degree there are multiple other grants and loans that could be awarded to you to help pay for your education.
I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose!

Hiya,
Have you looked into gateway vet med? It could save you a lot of money and time. I believe Nottingham Preliminary Year will accept BTEC students. Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 8
Hello,
Yes I have looked into gateway vet med at rvc but it is very hard to get into so im not getting my hopes up. I may apply for it jist to see but i highly doubt i would be chosen. And yes I hve looked into nottingham but unfortunately i do not have the required gcse requirements that are needed. I am aware that it will cost a lot of money to do two degrees but fortunately there are various loans which i can apply for to help with my studies aswell as working myself. I would also prefer to do the two degrees as it will give me an insight of both job roles and can help me choose what I like
Thank you for helping though, i appreciate your reply x
Hello everyone!

I am applying to university in September and ultimately want to be a vet by the end. I didn’t get the grades in GCSEs for normal vet medicine entry so I was thinking of doing one undergrad and then applying to graduate vet medicine.

My plan is to do my first degree, work for a year and then start my vet medicine degree. I’m stuck between choosing vet nursing or vet bioscience for the first degree though.

If I was to do vet nursing, I would gain clinical experience and would be able to practice as a vet nurse I order to save for the second degree.

If I was to do vet bioscience, I am unsure what job I could get in order to help with the payment of the vet medicine undergrad degree. I feel as though this degree would help me more with vet medicine though, but I’m struggling to think of how I would get the money for the second course with this degree.

Also, is there any way I can get funding for a graduate vet medicine degree? I’ve heard that you can not get a student loan for a second undergrad degree, so this relates back to my issue above.

Is anyone able to help?

Have you looked at the Bioveterinary science 2 year degree at Uclan? That’s one I’m considering as it has lower entry grades, and it’s a newer university so hopefully not as competitive. The degree is still an honours which is another plus! I’m currently studying a city and guilds Level three extended diploma and I’m in first year and that’s what I’m considering instead of the 3/4 year veterinary nursing! X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending