The Student Room Group

How should i get a summer job?

My school provided work experience but it got cancelled because of the pendemic and i have no job experience. I applied for 9 jobs all said because i have no previous job experience they can't accept my application. (Fast food resatuants are full at my area) What should i do now? Answers appreciated!
Try emailing small local businesses your CV and asking if they have any openings, I know lots of people who have managed to get jobs without experience that way. Also try contacting local charity shops and see if you can volunteer at them. You won't get paid for doing this but at least you can get some experience in retail, which will be helpful.
Most importantly, don't give up. I've applied to so many jobs and not even heard anything back from a lot of them, but you will find one eventually. Good luck!
Also, just to add, the jobs section on facebook is really good for finding local jobs
Have you tried farm jobs? Fruit farms, orchards, harvest jobs??
Reply 4
Have you tried volunteering? Charity shops are ALWAYS looking for help, even just a few hours a week.This will give you all the work experience you need to get a paid job
Reply 5
Hey! When I was looking for a job, I set aside an entire day to go around and hand in my applications. Here are my top tips:

-Go in to the places where you're applying. Don't call or email them. You are much more likely to make a good first impression on an employer when you're face to face. A voice through a phone is a lot less memorable. By showing up in person, you've already set yourself apart from the applicants who phone in.
-Hand in your CV to as many places as possible
-Ask to speak to the manager before you hand in your CV. This way you're making sure that your CV goes straight in to the right hands
-Be alone when you hand in your CV. Show them that you're confident and independent
-Most importantly, don't be afraid to keep on returning to the places that you applied to if they still haven't replied to you after about 1 week. Ask about the progress of your application, and come prepared with new, replacement copies of your CV. Often if they haven't called you up, it's not a reflection of your suitability for the job. It's simply the fact that they are not focused on employing new people, and they haven't gotten around to focusing on your application.

Keep positive! Eventually you will find your dream summer job. Good luck :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending