The Student Room Group

Would this put you off having a relationship with a woman?

I am older than most on here so probably should be asking men my own age but basically I wanted opinions on the below.

If a woman kept rats as pets (say no more than 4) would it put you off having a relationship with her?

Would she be better not saying that she had them initially/keeping them low profile etc?

My goal is to meet someone and I feel time is running out in a way. At the same time I want to get some pet rats but know that lots of people are put off by them?
Reply 1
imo it will attract the right type and put off the wrong type. It could even be a good conversation opener, a lot of guys will you message you saying "rats!!?" and then you can tell them why they are such great pets.
Took me until the last line to figure out that you are the woman in this scenario. I expect I am a man that is close to your age, at least closer than most on here, and whilst I am just one person it wouldn't bother me that you kept rats at all. I wouldn't do it personally, but I would have no issue with it if my partner wanted to. If you want to do it I would go ahead and do it, and whilst it probably wouldn't be the first thing you'd say on a date, I wouldn't go out of your way to keep it low profile either. One point that is worth noting here is that if you want to keep rats, you'll want your prospective partner to be on board with that. To my mind keep it a secret only to reveal it later on runs the risk of it being a deal breaker a little way into a relationship. If it's not a major thing for you to keep rats or not then by all means be more flexible with it, but if it's something you definitely want to do, go ahead and do it and then find someone who is happy with it or at least doesn't mind it, as you would with any other important part of your life.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I am older than most on here so probably should be asking men my own age but basically I wanted opinions on the below.

If a woman kept rats as pets (say no more than 4) would it put you off having a relationship with her?

Would she be better not saying that she had them initially/keeping them low profile etc?

My goal is to meet someone and I feel time is running out in a way. At the same time I want to get some pet rats but know that lots of people are put off by them?

why on earth are you keeping pet rats?

I'm no maths whiz but I know those things can multiply pretty fast..

having rats is definitely at least a yellow flag to me..

you ain't bringing them round my place, that's for sure...... :colonhash:
(Not a man but I date women. I'm 29 for context.)

As a fellow rat lover it'd be a common interest.

There's no point in hiding what types of pets you keep. There of course will be someone out there who is turned off by you keeping rats. Just like there are people out there who are turned off if a woman keeps her nails long, if she cuts her hair short, if she likes wearing make-up, etc. If someone is really that turned off by you keeping rats they're going to hate it just as much if they learn about it three months in as they would be if they learned about it on the first date.
Absofreakinglutely. I hate rats with a passion
I'd think it's cute/quirky
Rats as a pet is a lot less hassle than say a dog or 4 cats. I’d not date a dog owner at all.

So I’d you want rats as a pet, get them. I wanted a cat so got one and any man I dated just has to put up with it. However she was an older rescue and died a few months after my other half moved in. As he us allergic I have not got another.
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
I'd think it's cute/quirky

till you get bitten and start foaming at the mouth from rabies
Original post by ANM775

probably wouldnt pet them much myself
No, that would be really cool!
Original post by ANM775
why on earth are you keeping pet rats?

I'm no maths whiz but I know those things can multiply pretty fast..

having rats is definitely at least a yellow flag to me..

you ain't bringing them round my place, that's for sure...... :colonhash:

I’d keep the same sex so they can’t breed

To me it’s similar to keeping hamsters except rats communicate with you more (a bit like dogs), are very affectionate and bond with you. Despite their reputation they are very clean animals. This isn’t comming from me but from a guy who went to remove rats from my friends garden. He said if they have a choice between a clean pipe and a dirty one they pick the clean one pretty much every time.
Original post by ANM775

Ive never been bit by a rat. Sometimes they catch you with there teeth when handing them food

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending