The Student Room Group

Retail workers - is it normal to do this?

Hello. Recently started a new summer job in retail. Today my shift was 9-1. At 1 I was just putting my things away and preparing to sign out when the duty manager (DM) said I needed to stay behind as there was a queue at the tills - is this normal? The other member of staff whose shift ended at 1 left without the DM saying anything to them. There was sufficient cover on the tills as I was leaving anyway. Was the DM just saying this as I'm new and therefore will not talk back/properly stand up for myself?
Reply 1
See what it says in your contract and ToRs.
Reply 2
It's nomal to be expected to stay over to suit business needs not just in retail but in lots of areas, as long as they either pay you or give you the time back in lieu then it should be fine, if you can't stop over at short notice you are not obliged to do so. Usually any change to your hours of work need to be communicated to you 48 hours in advance I think it is.
Original post by JaseyB
It's nomal to be expected to stay over to suit business needs not just in retail but in lots of areas, as long as they either pay you or give you the time back in lieu then it should be fine, if you can't stop over at short notice you are not obliged to do so. Usually any change to your hours of work need to be communicated to you 48 hours in advance I think it is.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending