The Student Room Group

References - Your Opinion

Sorry if there is a similar thread somewhere, but I couldn't see one in here.

This is a survey. :smile:

The 'rules' on reference-writing varies from school to school.
Some schools will allow their students to see it, some won't.
Some will allow their students to practically write it, whereas some won't allow the student any input at all. And of course a range in between.

Those students in year 13 applying for medicine (or older), will have sent off their UCAS form by now, so just out of interest, i would be interested to see what it's like for other people. :smile:

Year of application:
Did you see your reference? (Y/N):
Did you have any input in your reference? (briefly describe):

I'll go first:

Year of application: 2008 for 2009 entry
Did you see your reference? (Y/N): N
Did you have any input in your reference? (briefly describe): None

This thread is also open to any opinions about the matter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did you see your reference?: No
Did you have any input in your reference?: None
Year of application: 2008 cycle, for 2009 entry.
Did you see your reference? (Y/N): No.
Did you have any input in your reference? (briefly describe): Nope.
2009 entry
yes
no
Reply 4
yes, but only until after it was sent (could have seen before if i really wanted to)
no
Year of application: 2008 for 2009 entry medicine
Did you see your reference?: No, but saw it after it was sent
Did you have any input in your reference?: i had too much to say in personal statement so asked form tutor if she wouldn't mind mentioning some things
Reply 6
2009/1010 entry (deferred)
Yes, I saw a first draft of my reference and then the final one that was sent off
I suggested some things that I had wanted to put on my PS but didn't have room, and my tutor was quite happy to put them in. Also there was one small factual error.
Reply 7
year of entry: 2008 app for 2009 entry
Did I see my ref: (Y)
Input: errr v.minimal, i just asked my mentor to take this really vague sentence about me playing tennis out, and instead write about me doing charity work, which was actually true (the tennis just wasnt! :s-smilie:) :yep:
Reply 8
Just so people know, YOU CAN PAY TO SEE YOUR REFERENCE... MAKE AN APPLICATION TO UCAS UNDER FOI. It'll cost you about £10...
Did you see your reference? Yes
Did you have any input in your reference? (briefly describe): Yes as my theology teacher had said that I'd been to a conference (that I hadn't been to) otherwise none
Did you see your reference? : yep - posted on my study space on the internet
Did you have any input in your reference?: yes, i checked over it and a few sentences were a nit dodgy and also my grades were written wrongly

are they meant to put stuff in that you've done etc?? mine just put -nice girl/motivated/etc!
Reply 11
Year of application: 2007 for 2008 entry
Did you see your reference? (Y/N): Y
Did you have any input in your reference? (briefly describe): Yes, I was asked if there was anything else I would like included and to make sure what was written was accurate to the best of my knowledge.

The reference counts for virtually nothing these days. It used to be how they would enter your predicted grades, now they just check to make sure you have one normally. I'm not even sure if they read it at most schools, if they do its probably at a glance at best.
Reply 12
Did you see your reference? : yes
Did you have any input in your reference?: yes
Year of application: 2009 entry.
Did you see your reference? (Y/N): after my form was sent.
Did you have any input in your reference? (briefly describe): no, i just asked if my module marks for english were put in, but it had already been done anyway.

edit: this is in medicine, haha oops.
Reply 14
Year of application: For 2009 Entry
Did you see your reference? (Y/N): No. Being told it's confidential
Did you have any input in your reference? (briefly describe): Yes, UMS, unit grades, awards won, school activities and responsibilities.
Basically, I gave my referee a whole check list to include, provided that ALL the information are TRUE
Year of application: 2009 entry
Did you see your reference?: Yes my tutor emailed it to me!
Did you have any input in your reference?: I was shown it and then allowed to adjust anything i didnt like within reason.
You could just make a poll. It'll be easier.
Reply 17
Year of application: 2008 for 2006 entry
Did you see your reference? (Y/N): Yes
Did you have any input in your reference? (briefly describe): I had a form to fill in with achievements and extracurriculars so that my reference writer could include things that he didn't already know. Though I had no input in the actual writing.
Did you see your reference?: Part of it, and it was CRAP
Did you have any input in your reference?: Some, my tutor asked me about extracurriculars and I just told her...
Reply 19
Fluffy
Just so people know, YOU CAN PAY TO SEE YOUR REFERENCE... MAKE AN APPLICATION TO UCAS UNDER FOI. It'll cost you about £10...

I'm tempted, but I don't have £10 to spare at the moment unfortunately. And my parents refuse to pay because they think it would be pointless (which it probably is to be fair).

Year of application: 2009
Did you see your reference? : No
Did you have any input in your reference?: I asked my Biology teachers if they could mention my 300 UMS. No idea if they did though. That's it.

Latest

Trending

Trending