The Student Room Group

Best Film Production/Making Course UK

Hi there, I've recently decided to change direction for my uni degree and actually want to study film.y aim is to become a director or screen writer but during my degree I want to learn skills from the entire production process including editing and cinematography etc. I also want the course to offer a year abroad or a placement or something like that. I also need it to carry either weight as a degree or have really good connections with getting it's graduates into work. But because I'm new to this I have no idea which universities offer the best courses. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?
Cilect member are the internationally accredited courses.

For BA you’re looking at one of:
AUB (Arts university Bournemouth/Bournemouth Film School)
UCA Farnham
Falmouth
Hertfordshire
LCC at UAL
Leeds Beckett (Northern Film School)
Screen Academy Scotland (Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier)
South Wales (in Cardiff)
Westminster

Most film schools don’t offer placements - you’re expected to find your own placements during evenings, weekends and holidays or suspend your studies for a year. Similarly year abroad placements are unusual or something you’d be expected to arrange for yourself.

For pretty much all of these film schools you’ll need an excellent portfolio of work or showreel demonstrating your skills and abilities in order to get an offer. For AUB and westminster and Edinburgh (the most selective on the list) half or more of applicants don’t get an offer. If you don’t have a good portfolio/showreel right now then a FAD (Art & Design Foundation Diploma) at a local college or university offering a media or lens based pathway would be a good option to help build you up to the level expected by the most competitive film schools.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Cilect member are the internationally accredited courses.

For BA you’re looking at one of:
AUB (Arts university Bournemouth/Bournemouth Film School)
UCA Farnham
Falmouth
Hertfordshire
LCC at UAL
Leeds Beckett (Northern Film School)
Screen Academy Scotland (Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier)
South Wales (in Cardiff)
Westminster

Most film schools don’t offer placements - you’re expected to find your own placements during evenings, weekends and holidays or suspend your studies for a year. Similarly year abroad placements are unusual or something you’d be expected to arrange for yourself.

For pretty much all of these film schools you’ll need an excellent portfolio of work or showreel demonstrating your skills and abilities in order to get an offer. For AUB and westminster and Edinburgh (the most selective on the list) half or more of applicants don’t get an offer. If you don’t have a good portfolio/showreel right now then a FAD (Art & Design Foundation Diploma) at a local college or university offering a media or lens based pathway would be a good option to help build you up to the level expected by the most competitive film schools.

Thank you! I'm actually set to do a foundation art and design diploma over the next year so that's a weight off my shoulders haha. It was really helpful to know the best universities though because now I know where to set my goals for! Thanks again!
Original post by Amack17
Hi there, I've recently decided to change direction for my uni degree and actually want to study film.y aim is to become a director or screen writer but during my degree I want to learn skills from the entire production process including editing and cinematography etc. I also want the course to offer a year abroad or a placement or something like that. I also need it to carry either weight as a degree or have really good connections with getting it's graduates into work. But because I'm new to this I have no idea which universities offer the best courses. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Hi @Amack17 :smile:

If you are interested in pursuing a career in screenwriting for film, including knowledge and experience of production (pre and post) then you might want to research London College of Communications Screen School. One particular course I think would suit your interests the most is

The BA (Hons) Film Practice course has been developed for students with a passion for independent cinema, both documentary and fiction, who want a hands-on, industry-oriented programme and a syllabus with a strongly practical emphasis in digital production. With work-placements in the second year, a dedicated screenwriting / documentary development unit and a minimum of five productions throughout the course, the syllabus offers a generous practical bias. Assessment weighting reflects this, with a ratio of 70:30 practice to theory.

BA (Hons) Film Practice is well-connected to industry and students on the course often gain high-profile work-based placements. Previous students have gained placements with organisations including: De Lane Lea (Warner Bros), Art House Hire, Film Fix Southwark Film Office, Technicolor, Imaginarium Studios, Spectacle Productions, Newman, Hire, Vice TV, Lionsgate, Caviar Content, Food Network, Shanghai Media Group to name a few!

We have another interesting and hands-on film production course at Wimbledon College of Arts, BA (Hons) Production Arts for Screen which would be another option I recommend looking into.

I hope this helps! And wish you the best of luck with your applications :smile:

Best wishes,
Olivia
UK Student Recruitment Officer
Original post by Amack17

Hello Amack17,

I am Tia, a final year student at Bournemouth University studying BA (Hons) Communication and Media.

At Bournemouth University we offer a couple different film degrees, BA (Hons) Film and BA (Hons) Film Production and Cinematography. You can see the different degrees here: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/undergraduate-subject-areas/media-film-tv-music-production-courses. Bournemouth uni is very respected in the media industry and employers like BU graduates. A few of my friends are currently working on TV and film sets and they have been told that they liked the fact they went to Bournemouth. This is because BU has great industry links (BAFTA is one of our partners), they use industry standard equipment and train students to an industry standard. We have just had a brand new media building built, and courses like film will massively benefit from this, with facilities including a sound stage, recording studios, TV studios, cinema/viewing rooms, a green screen studio and loads more. You can see a virtual tour of the building here: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/about/professional-services/estates/developing-our-campuses/poole-gateway-building. It may even be worth booking on an open day to get a feel for the campus and see the facilities! The courses cover a variety of areas, and the film degree includes optional units which you can pick to tailor to your interests.

You mentioned wanting to do a placement or studying abroad. We offer both these options at Bournemouth, in fact placements are really encouraged on every course, and you get a lot of help and guidance when applying. For the film degree for example you will have the option to do either a 20 day placement or a 30 week one meaning you will have a year working in the industry between your second and third year.

I hope this has helped, Tia :smile:
Original post by Amack17

Hello,

It's fantastic that you're interested in Film. You might wish to look at University of Sunderland if you're interested in pursuing a career in screenwriting for films, including knowledge and expertise of pre-production and post-production. The Film Production BA (Hons) course, in particular, I believe would best match your interests.
As I am in my first year of Film production, I can tell you a about this course. A film production at University of Sunderland course will usually cover every stage of the filmmaking process, from pre-production through post-production. Scriptwriting, directing, cinematography, sound design, editing, and distribution are all covered.
It also focuses on the study and analysis of films, as well as the history of cinema, rather than just filmmaking. Cinema Theory, Film Analysis, Genre Studies, Critical Approaches, and Film and Society are among the themes covered.
The course consists of both academic lectures and practical workshops in which you may apply your knowledge in real-world circumstances. You will also get the chance to work with industry-standard equipment and materials.
From day one, you’ll have access to specialized digital cameras, sound recording equipment, lighting kit, Steadicam rigs, and professional editing software packages such as Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premier Pro and Da Vinci Resolve.
A new regional office for the renowned independent production firm Fulwell 73, creators of the Netflix series "Sunderland 'Til I Die," has opened in our David Puttnam Media Centre. So that you may gain firsthand knowledge of and understanding of a top production company's operation.
We have another intriguing course Film Production via Study Centres BA (Hons) at the University of Sunderland that I recommend looking into if you are interested in studying one year abroad.
I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if you have any more queries!
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador.
Is a student allowed to make a film on Alice in Sunderland?

Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Hello,

It's fantastic that you're interested in Film. You might wish to look at University of Sunderland if you're interested in pursuing a career in screenwriting for films, including knowledge and expertise of pre-production and post-production. The Film Production BA (Hons) course, in particular, I believe would best match your interests.
As I am in my first year of Film production, I can tell you a about this course. A film production at University of Sunderland course will usually cover every stage of the filmmaking process, from pre-production through post-production. Scriptwriting, directing, cinematography, sound design, editing, and distribution are all covered.
It also focuses on the study and analysis of films, as well as the history of cinema, rather than just filmmaking. Cinema Theory, Film Analysis, Genre Studies, Critical Approaches, and Film and Society are among the themes covered.
The course consists of both academic lectures and practical workshops in which you may apply your knowledge in real-world circumstances. You will also get the chance to work with industry-standard equipment and materials.
From day one, you’ll have access to specialized digital cameras, sound recording equipment, lighting kit, Steadicam rigs, and professional editing software packages such as Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premier Pro and Da Vinci Resolve.
A new regional office for the renowned independent production firm Fulwell 73, creators of the Netflix series "Sunderland 'Til I Die," has opened in our David Puttnam Media Centre. So that you may gain firsthand knowledge of and understanding of a top production company's operation.
We have another intriguing course Film Production via Study Centres BA (Hons) at the University of Sunderland that I recommend looking into if you are interested in studying one year abroad.
I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if you have any more queries!
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending