The Student Room Group

Masters in top-tier universities with a 2.2 and a Postgraduate Diploma

Hi everyone,

I am a former student of the University of London International Programmes, having studied the BSc Economics and Management at an institution in Malaysia. The academic direction for this programme is from the LSE.

Unfortunately, due to extenuating circumstances, I did not achieve my full potential and ended up graduating with a high borderline 2.2 (I was 0.4 marks away from a 2.1).

Anyway, I would like to do my Masters in Economics and Finance in universities such as LSE and King's. Although I graduated with a 2.2, my marks for Macroeconomics and Microeconomics were a 1.1 and 2.1, respectively. Since I do not meet the entry requirements for these universities, I am looking to do a Postgraduate Diploma in Economic Policy (which consists of Economics and Finance modules) from SOAS, University of London to hopefully get a distinction and give myself a better chance of getting into these universities. This course is done entirely by distance learning.

My question is: Is there anyone here who has done something similar before? Or does anyone know if it gives me a better chance of applying to top universities in the UK? Provided that I get a distinction, of course. I have emailed the programme directors for the course at LSE and King's, and I am still waiting for a reply. Looking forward to hearing some valuable inputs, they are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey! I too graduated with a high 2:2 (59%) and applied to lse. They got in touch with me and showed interest in my application even though i haven't officially got an offer yet. I think you could try to apply regardless - but make sure you write an amazing personal statement in order to stand out and make sure you explain why you didn't achieve the grade you wanted also to have your referees mentioned them in their recommendations. But your course is more competitive which they normally would prefer students with a first, just make sure you find a way to stand out.
Reply 2
Original post by tsixaqz
Hey! I too graduated with a high 2:2 (59%) and applied to lse. They got in touch with me and showed interest in my application even though i haven't officially got an offer yet. I think you could try to apply regardless - but make sure you write an amazing personal statement in order to stand out and make sure you explain why you didn't achieve the grade you wanted also to have your referees mentioned them in their recommendations. But your course is more competitive which they normally would prefer students with a first, just make sure you find a way to stand out.

Hey! Good to hear that LSE got in touch with you and expressed their interest in your application. It is highly unlikely that I will be accepted onto the course if I apply now as it is very competitive, which is why I'd like to do a Postgraduate Diploma to strengthen my chances of getting in. May I know who exactly from LSE got in touch with you? I feel that it would be best to speak with admissions or the programme director of the course. Will PM you if you would like to keep it personal :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by thegoodlad
Hey! Good to hear that LSE got in touch with you and expressed their interest in your application. It is highly unlikely that I will be accepted onto the course if I apply now as it is very competitive, which is why I'd like to do a Postgraduate Diploma to strengthen my chances of getting in. May I know who exactly from LSE got in touch with you? I feel that it would be best to speak with admissions or the programme director of the course. Will PM you if you would like to keep it personal :smile:

It was the documents admission office who got in touch with me and also said the selectors felt that I was better suited to this other course so they were asking if I’d like to be considered for that programme as well by completing a new choices form. And sorry I saw your msg however I couldn’t reply to it for some reason:frown:
Reply 4
Ah I see! I did not want to send an application if I knew I wouldn’t be selected for the course, as there is an admissions fee. I have emailed admissions but they have not gotten back to me yet, maybe I’ll give them a ring in that case. All the best to you and I hope you get into LSE!
hey im in the same position. can I ask what did you apply for and did you get in

Original post by tsixaqz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending