The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Actuaries science at LSE

I have A* for Maths, A for Economics, A for physics and B for FM, Can I apply for Actuaries science at LSE. Please advise me.

Scroll to see replies

I think with a B in A-level FM you would not likely not be a competitive applicant. Perhaps have a look at some past FOIA requests on whatdotheyknow.com to see what the numbers are like for people with FM vs without and/or with lower grades in FM; I strongly suspect like the single honours economics course there and the joint honours courses with maths that A-level FM is essential to have at A or A*.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I think with a B in A-level FM you would not likely not be a competitive applicant. Perhaps have a look at some past FOIA requests on whatdotheyknow.com to see what the numbers are like for people with FM vs without and/or with lower grades in FM; I strongly suspect like the single honours economics course there and the joint honours courses with maths that A-level FM is essential to have at A or A*

Their website says that AS FM is considered. If I have A for FM in AS will they consider me?
For economics degree at LSE do we need minimum A for FM in A/L?
Original post by RADHAT
Their website says that AS FM is considered. If I have A for FM in AS will they consider me?
For economics degree at LSE do we need minimum A for FM in A/L?

The point is that they can see you had a B in A-level Further Maths, so they know you struggled with that more advanced material - they are going to be teaching you even more advanced material than that on the course (and some of the FM content may be relevant too, which might the content you struggled with - they have no way to know that) and so it's going to raise some red flags for them. This may not necessarily be an issue at all unis but given how incredibly oversubscribed LSE is, that's just an easy way for them to reject your application to thin out their very long list of applicants I would imagine.

For single honours economics in most years around 95% of successful applicants have A-level Further Maths and they would expect you to have an A or A* in it (as with all the other subjects - they also specify for that course specifically you need an A* in maths, or in either maths or FM if you took both).
Reply 4
Thanks you.
Ok I understand it but do you think if i do any external exam like TMUK will they consider? I have predicted A* for FM but came B.
Original post by RADHAT
Thanks you.
Ok I understand it but do you think if i do any external exam like TMUK will they consider? I have predicted A* for FM but came B.

I've no idea what that exam is, but usually even doing something like STEP isn't going to ameliorate a weaker result in the A-level course. If you want to aim for LSE you should probably look into retaking that A-level (this may also not be favourable but an A* with retake is probably better than a B without).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
They need our results in one sitting.
When I check their website their modules are almost similar in most of the courses Econ and related courses. If I want to apply for Accounting and finance, they expect AAA but again Further Mathematics is seen as a fourth or additional subject for this. what is the meaning?
Reply 7
I found the following info from their website but I don't know will it replace FM.
"Applicants are encouraged to take the Test of Mathematics for University Admission (TMUA). The test is not compulsory, however a good performance on the test may help in securing an offer."
Original post by RADHAT
I have A* for Maths, A for Economics, A for physics and B for FM, Can I apply for Actuaries science at LSE. Please advise me.

B in FM? That's where they look first bud
Reply 9
Original post by Zürich
B in FM? That's where they look first bud

Thank you.
Ok, I can narrow my choices now. If I have B in FM is there any other Econ related courses I can apply?
Original post by RADHAT
They need our results in one sitting.
When I check their website their modules are almost similar in most of the courses Econ and related courses. If I want to apply for Accounting and finance, they expect AAA but again Further Mathematics is seen as a fourth or additional subject for this. what is the meaning?

It means they don't like applicants who are taking just A-level Maths, FM and one other A-level.

They expect you to take the exams in one sitting on the first try, but they may consider resits - worth looking to see what their policy on that is.

Original post by RADHAT
I found the following info from their website but I don't know will it replace FM.
"Applicants are encouraged to take the Test of Mathematics for University Admission (TMUA). The test is not compulsory, however a good performance on the test may help in securing an offer."

Just to note, if you don't quote my post I don't see that you've replied!

I didn't realise you were referring to the TMUA. In any case, the point still applies - they would probably be looking for a good performance on that on top of A*/A grades in A-level Maths and FM.

Original post by RADHAT
Thank you.
Ok, I can narrow my choices now. If I have B in FM is there any other Econ related courses I can apply?

Probably none at LSE, honestly...I suppose economic history is "econ related" in a sense? But it's essentially a totally different course.

The thing is some of the joint honours with economics courses (e.g. PPE, and I think Politics & Economics) don't require A-level FM in the same way the single honours course does. So people without it aren't at such a disadvantage for those. But you have FM, you just didn't get an A or A* in it, so you kind of have that black mark against you from the start which is tough to make up :/

Your best bet might be the "X with Economics" courses where economics is a smaller part of the course, as they may be more willing to overlook the FM grade as the department offering the "X" part of the degree will probably be the decision makers (or more influential in that anyway) than the economics department. I think any course primarily or jointly administered by the economics department at LSE will have the econ dept see the B in FM and immediately be put off the application...
Reply 11
It means they don't like applicants who are taking just A-level Maths, FM and one other A-level.

They expect you to take the exams in one sitting on the first try, but they may consider resits - worth looking to see what their policy on that is.

Just to note, if you don't quote my post I don't see that you've replied!

I didn't realise you were referring to the TMUA. In any case, the point still applies - they would probably be looking for a good performance on that on top of A*/A grades in A-level Maths and FM.

Probably none at LSE, honestly...I suppose economic history is "econ related" in a sense? But it's essentially a totally different course.

The thing is some of the joint honours with economics courses (e.g. PPE, and I think Politics & Economics) don't require A-level FM in the same way the single honours course does. So people without it aren't at such a disadvantage for those. But you have FM, you just didn't get an A or A* in it, so you kind of have that black mark against you from the start which is tough to make up :/

Your best bet might be the "X with Economics" courses where economics is a smaller part of the course, as they may be more willing to overlook the FM grade as the department offering the "X" part of the degree will probably be the decision makers (or more influential in that anyway) than the economics department. I think any course primarily or jointly administered by the economics department at LSE will have the econ dept see the B in FM and immediately be put off the application...

Ok, it makes sense. But If i apply for management degree we need AAA. They say "Further Mathematics is helpful preparation for this highly quantitative course, but not required." If so again will they look at B for FM?
Original post by RADHAT
Ok, it makes sense. But If i apply for management degree we need AAA. They say "Further Mathematics is helpful preparation for this highly quantitative course, but not required." If so again will they look at B for FM?

I think they will always look at the B in further maths but for some courses it will be a deal breaker and for others less so. Management and actuarial science are quite different afaik, is there a particular reason you're wanting to apply to management or actuarial sciences? If there's something specific you're looking for in a degree we could suggest viable alternatives, not to say LSE management is unviable.
Reply 13
Original post by leviticus.
I think they will always look at the B in further maths but for some courses it will be a deal breaker and for others less so. Management and actuarial science are quite different afaik, is there a particular reason you're wanting to apply to management or actuarial sciences? If there's something specific you're looking for in a degree we could suggest viable alternatives, not to say LSE management is unviable.

Basically, I am good and I enjoy quantitative reasoning subjects though I have B in FM. I am not that much good in essay format courses. When I look, management or Actuaries courses, there are full of quantitative subjects.
Original post by RADHAT

Again they say that it's "helpful preparation" so they're going to see you didn't do as well in a subject they think is helpful and they will of course wonder if you will be able to do well in the degree. So as above, id strongly recommend resitting FM if you want to do any kind of quantitative course at LSE.
Reply 15
Again they say that it's "helpful preparation" so they're going to see you didn't do as well in a subject they think is helpful and they will of course wonder if you will be able to do well in the degree. So as above, id strongly recommend resitting FM if you want to do any kind of quantitative course at LSE.

True.
But logically their approach is not clear. For Management, they expect A for maths, if you have A* for maths and B for FM they don't like.
Why are you talking about management? If you want to do a maths related degree there are loads to chose from?
Original post by RADHAT
True.
But logically their approach is not clear. For Management, they expect A for maths, if you have A* for maths and B for FM they don't like.

You can always try. I think the B in FM would still be an issue though. But you probably have more of a chance with manament than actuarial science or economics at LSE
Reply 18
You can always try. I think the B in FM would still be an issue though. But you probably have more of a chance with manament than actuarial science or economics at LSE

I agree with you....
Thank you for your answers. Just now, I received a private message from this form suggests that Econ and Economics history is a good option. I checked the entry requirements- AAB. I am waiting for others' thoughts.
Before nonchalantly committing to a course simply because you like the institution, it would be wise to look at other universities that offer the course which most interests you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending