The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
amazingtrade
When you register the password is encytped using MD5 so the password A or D can see is just lots of hash keys that mean nothing to a human. This means they cannot login into your account.

The only people who can read PMs are A and D is this because they have top level access to the raw database. Making sense of the raw database data can also be quite hard.

The whole point of PMs is that they are private.

If a database query is run they can be read in plain english. :smile:
pig
Nope.

If they have the link (from A) then..
pm.php :rolleyes:
pig
That's a hack, not a standard part of vB. I assume you're reading your users' PMs then :smile:

I can do it, and I don't hide it.

As you said, A, who has the same permissions with me (in my forum), can do it too.
Reply 23
pig
You saved those queries I gave you then...

I haven't tried yet, but they're still saved in the conversation history.
On this style of bulletin board, Mods and/or Admin cannot read your private messages. They are, however, able to see how many messages users have in their Inbox and Sent Mail (see attachment). The only way they can read your Private Messages is by changing your password.

Edit: People are saying Admin can, I can't see it in Admin's options?
Reply 25
Jools
On this style of bulletin board, Mods and/or Admin cannot read your private messages. They are, however, able to see how many messages users have in their Inbox and Sent Mail (see attachment). The only way they can read your Private Messages is by changing your password.

Edit: People are saying Admin can, I can't see it in Admin's options?

They can't, I have full admin options and it's not there. You need a hack and server access.
Reply 26
Ollie
They can't, I have full admin options and it's not there. You need a hack and server access.

The hack is one way. The other way is to be able to run queries.

This shows you the pm's that a person has sent.
Query:
SELECT * FROM pmtext WHERE fromuserid = X
Reply 27
koldtoast
Thank god, i was swapping xrated messages with some ladies on here

r u related to daz?
Ollie
They can't, I have full admin options and it's not there.

Then why did you say A can? And why did Daveo, Lou & Mr White say Admin can?
Reply 29
Jools
Then why did you say A can? And why did Daveo, Lou & Mr White say Admin can?

A can because he has direct access to the database.
Reply 30
Can PMs be used as evidence in a Court of Law? :eek:

NB. Any references to killings or random psychotic acts are meant purely in the humour and context of the TSR internet forum. In no way can this be construed as a true representation of the facts.
Reply 31
timeofyourlife
Can PMs be used as evidence in a Court of Law? :eek:

NB. Any references to killings or random psychotic acts are meant purely in the humour and context of the TSR internet forum. In no way can this be construed as a true representation of the facts.

Lets hope so.
Reply 32
Daveo
Lets hope so.

You shouldn't have let them escape again.
Reply 33
This is an interesting topic. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to read PMs unless either the sender or the recipient has given permission, either express or implied - perhaps via something in the T's and C's. I think it comes under the same legal umbrella as a sysadmin reading e-mail between people on his system.
Reply 34
rahaydenuk
This is an interesting topic. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to read PMs unless either the sender or the recipient has given permission, either express or implied - perhaps via something in the T's and C's. I think it comes under the same legal umbrella as a sysadmin reading e-mail between people on his system.

So, was A acting illegally when he dismissed Mr White as moderator?
Reply 35
Dr_Death
So, was A acting illegally when he dismissed Mr White as moderator?

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, that was my guess at the legality of reading PMs, I'm no lawyer... I wasn't even aware A had read any PMs.
Reply 36
rahaydenuk
I'm not accusing anyone of anything, that was my guess at the legality of reading PMs, I'm no lawyer... I wasn't even aware A had read any PMs.

That was the basis of Mr White's demotion.
Reply 37
rahaydenuk

I'm an engineer, not a lawyer too. And I didn't read the T&C, so I don't know... but rumour has it that A looked at Mr White's PMs and found out the reason he wanted to be moderator was less than altruistic - or something - I don't know the details.
Reply 38
Daveo
That was the basis of Mr White's demotion.

Oh OK, I didn't know that he was demoted on the grounds of PMs. Looks like I missed that.
Reply 39
rahaydenuk
Oh OK, I didn't know that he was demoted on the grounds of PMs. Looks like I missed that.

I thought there was an underground network that kept all the mods up-to-date on everything that happens everywhere? I.e. the Mod forum, and Twinkle-toes' Help Association?

Latest

Trending

Trending