The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Dr_Death
I thought there was an underground network that kept all the mods up-to-date on everything that happens everywhere? I.e. the Mod forum, and Twinkle-toes' Help Association?

I have more important things to do than to read *everything* posted in the mod forum... :p:
Reply 41
pig
I have heard it said many times that vB's private messages are a misnomer and should be called something like 'personal messages'. Seems it's the word 'private' that makes people think they are somehow 100% private and secure, when they are far from it.

nothings really private on the internet is it?
Reply 42
pig
I have heard it said many times that vB's private messages are a misnomer and should be called something like 'personal messages'. Seems it's the word 'private' that makes people think they are somehow 100% private and secure, when they are far from it.

Quite... someone should develop a hack linking some kind of public/private key cryptography in with the PM functionality so that PMs are automatically encrypted when you send them...
Reply 43
rahaydenuk
I have more important things to do than to read *everything* posted in the mod forum... :p:

we know. you have less time for us mere semi-mortals and have since moved on to the supermod forum :frown:
Reply 44
technik

No one's broken RSA yet as far as we know...
Reply 45
technik

Are you saying I should fax my credit card details instead of using the website form?
Reply 46
rahaydenuk
No one's broken RSA yet as far as we know...

But if they did, would we know? :biggrin:
Reply 47
Dr_Death
Are you saying I should fax my credit card details instead of using the website form?

fax them to me. you'll get sent a lovely 19" TFT monitor...honest
Reply 48
technik
fax them to me. you'll get sent a lovely 19" TFT monitor...honest

mmmmmm - flatscreen monitor. I could go for one of those...
Reply 49
rahaydenuk
This is an interesting topic. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to read PMs unless either the sender or the recipient has given permission, either express or implied - perhaps via something in the T's and C's. I think it comes under the same legal umbrella as a sysadmin reading e-mail between people on his system.

That is actually legal so long as the employee hasn't been told in writing that their emailing will not be monitored.

Can PMs be used as evidence in a Court of Law?

NB. Any references to killings or random psychotic acts are meant purely in the humour and context of the TSR internet forum. In no way can this be construed as a true representation of the facts.

Possibly. On an admin forum I'm a member of there was a discussion about using pm's as evidence in a rape case.
Reply 50
Another question: Can mods or admin read deleted PMs?
Reply 51
Dr_Death
Another question: Can mods or admin read deleted PMs?

Short answer: no
Longer answer: If you delete your pm's but the cron job hasn't run to actually delete them from the database then your pm's could be read. The cron job should run at least once every hour. Additionally, if they really wanted to read your pm's they could pull up a backup copy of the database.
Reply 52
Moncal
Short answer: no
Longer answer: If you delete your pm's but the cron job hasn't run to actually delete them from the database then your pm's could be read. The cron job should run at least once every hour. Additionally, if they really wanted to read your pm's they could pull up a backup copy of the database.

That's interesting to know - everyone will think I have just deleted a load of incriminating PMs now. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending