The Student Room Group

Question traffic lanes in a test.

So can someone help, I had a driving test today and was told to follow a sign, I approached a roundabout with two lane, and the markings said left and straight for first lane, and straight and right for the second. I was going straight so stayed in the right hand lane. When I crossed the roundabout it's onto a duel carriageway and has two lanes. I kept in the right hand lane as cars also joined in the left lane. It's up hill and merges at the top I remained in my lane until I saw a gap to move into. I got a major for staying in my lane and being undertaken. I feel I was slowing to find a gap to move across am I wrong for feeling hard done by here.
Reply 1
Original post by Dayseldon
So can someone help, I had a driving test today and was told to follow a sign, I approached a roundabout with two lane, and the markings said left and straight for first lane, and straight and right for the second. I was going straight so stayed in the right hand lane. When I crossed the roundabout it's onto a duel carriageway and has two lanes. I kept in the right hand lane as cars also joined in the left lane. It's up hill and merges at the top I remained in my lane until I saw a gap to move into. I got a major for staying in my lane and being undertaken. I feel I was slowing to find a gap to move across am I wrong for feeling hard done by here.

You don't slow down to find a gap, by doing that you force people to undertake you and it is a serious fault. You have to match the speed of the traffic and merge into a gap without making anyone else change speed (i.e the people behind you have to slow because you did, the people in the left lane might slow to let you in).

Besides highway code says you should only be in right hand lane if overtaking people or turning right and you were doing neither of those. You shouldn't be in the right hand lane in the first place unless your intention is to turn right or overtake. Being in the right hand lane unnecessarily can be a serious fault
Reply 2
Yeah, from what I’ve seen from people doing this, they must switch back to the left hand lane unless you’re overtaking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending