The Student Room Group

Joining armed forces unvaccinated (from covid)?

What the title suggests really, can you join the British Army/Royal Navy/RAF without having had any covid jabs? I’ve looked online and one of their websites (can’t remember which, it could be all three of them) just advises you have your first, second and thirteenth jab (or however many they’re administering now) and doesn’t state it as a requirement for joining.
Do you think you’d be pressured into having it if you were to join up?

TIA for constructive replies!

PS. I’m not looking to get into a debate over the vaccine: everyone’s got their different beliefs and opinions on all sorts of topics and life’s too short to spend time going back and forth over it.
Original post by Skiing_is_life
What the title suggests really, can you join the British Army/Royal Navy/RAF without having had any covid jabs? I’ve looked online and one of their websites (can’t remember which, it could be all three of them) just advises you have your first, second and thirteenth jab (or however many they’re administering now) and doesn’t state it as a requirement for joining.

PS. I’m not looking to get into a debate over the vaccine: everyone’s got their different beliefs and opinions on all sorts of topics and life’s too short to spend time going back and forth over it.

Refusing to take any vaccination is, as always, taken on a case-by-case basis, assessing the risks involved. Given the numbers in the entire Armed Forces that are unvaccinated (885), and anyone's value as a recruit, I suspect there is no chance of being accepted while unvaccinated. One would certainly be pressured to get it once in, even if not officially.
Nothing like spreading COVID in Middle Eastern countries along with British (or rather, American) Imperialism lol

More practically at least for the Navy I highly doubt you'd be let onboard a ship unvaccinated. I work for a cruise ship company and even with a fully vaccinated complement outbreaks are impossible to avoid and can take out whole departments if unchecked and not managed. There are entire teams onboard and shoreside dedicated to just managing that possibility and trying to mitigate that risk...I doubt the Navy would accept the risk of you infecting the entire engine/bridge/etc department simultaneously, leaving a multi-million pound war ship stranded, because of your moral beliefs on vaccines.
2nd hand knowledge, but armed forces don't tend to be too keen on personal medical choices that can affect others.
Reply 4
If you are allowed to join up without, that doesn't mean you won't require covid vaccinations in future, depending on your job. And there are other jabs that you will need against infectious diseases.

Why do you think you would be permitted to be in a position of not only being unable to fulfill your role, but puttting others at risk and ultimately impacting on a whole military undertaking?
Technically yes you can join, however members of the U.K. armed forces are required to have multiple vaccines. Covid just hasn’t quite met the list yet despite a very high vaccine rate amongst personnel.
Thanks for the replies. I don’t suppose I’d expect anything else.
Reply 7
Original post by Skiing_is_life

I left in October this year, for this exact reason. Idiots in the upper ranks pressurising people to get the clotshot, I was threatened, career fouled and discriminated against.

I've since heard it's not that big of a deal now. But I reckon if you go frontline they'll be trying to force you.

Latest