The Student Room Group

Applying to the US

cool
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
im not gonna like your list of extracurriculars sounds very impressive and on the same level as people who have applied to similar colleges and gotten in. don't let three a levels put you off that should be fine I think harvard likes aaa and above. I just hope you know how expensive it is to apply to these colleges they're about £70 each unless you get an application fee waiver which I know at some colleges isn't available for international students. also I'm not too sure about some of the colleges lower on your list but I know some won't give enough scholarship money to international students - I know Yale and Columbia definitely give you all the money you need. and you'll also need to pay for the financial aid application and its like £25 plus an extra £10 for each additional uni. (I think these prices are roughly right) please please don't let this put you off im just trying to highlight the cost for you. but if that isn't an issue then I think you have a strong list of ec's and good grades - if you don't mind me asking what a levels are you doing bc some colleges like to see a range in subjects as the curriculum there is do whatever you want pretty much. anyway best of luck !!
Original post by 320ma22
im not gonna like your list of extracurriculars sounds very impressive and on the same level as people who have applied to similar colleges and gotten in. don't let three a levels put you off that should be fine I think harvard likes aaa and above. I just hope you know how expensive it is to apply to these colleges they're about £70 each unless you get an application fee waiver which I know at some colleges isn't available for international students. also I'm not too sure about some of the colleges lower on your list but I know some won't give enough scholarship money to international students - I know Yale and Columbia definitely give you all the money you need. and you'll also need to pay for the financial aid application and its like £25 plus an extra £10 for each additional uni. (I think these prices are roughly right) please please don't let this put you off im just trying to highlight the cost for you. but if that isn't an issue then I think you have a strong list of ec's and good grades - if you don't mind me asking what a levels are you doing bc some colleges like to see a range in subjects as the curriculum there is do whatever you want pretty much. anyway best of luck !!

Thank you so much your reply is seriously so reassuring! Yes I’ve made a note of the application fees and I have made sure that all of the unis on my list have meet 100% of demonstrated financial need! I’m also set to take the SAT next week but honestly it’s really not my strong point so I will likely go test optional which isn’t ideal but I hope it won’t sffect my application too much :/ My A levels are English Literature, Drama and Economics (I tried to get the variation through economics) Thank you again!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by yus7
Hi I’m currently a Year 12 student in the UK but my dream is to study in the US at a top university. My list (in order) is:
Columbia
Yale
Chicago
Northwestern
Colgate
Bard (safety)
and I will also apply to universities in the UK.
I got 999999887 (distinctions in spanish and english language) for my gcses, and i’m predicted A*A*A for A levels.
As for extracurriculars i’m on the school’s media team and write for the newspaper and magazine, i have done a 3 month internship with a financial consultancy firm, I am a founder of Economics Society at school, President of Drama Club, a pastoral team leader, was a language leader for a year, making a short film outside of school (small project but i am very passionate about film so i would like to include this on my app), volunteer at a theatre and help out with school productions, did 2 fundraising and awareness campaigns (earning an active citizenship award for one of them), have work experience at a law firm lined up, a part time job, i’m running for head girl (hopefully will be elected), attend english society, book club and play reading club and finally have won immerse education’s international oxbridge essay competition.

I will likely have really strong letters of recommendation from my teachers (i attend my school’s sixth form so they know me very well) and I am a very strong writer so I am not concerned about my essays.

I can hardly find any information online about the standard of extra curriculars and grades needed for the above schools (especially yale and columbia) so I’m very worried that I haven’t done anything enough or that I should have taken 4 alevels, what are my chances with 3 alevels and the extracurriculars that I have mentioned?
Thank you very much :smile:

Your ECs and GCSEs are very good!

Unfortunately, it's really impossible to give you a good idea of your chances, since admission to these extremely selective US universities is pretty much a lottery. That's also a reason why you can't find any info on what's needed - they look at everything in context, and what is enough to get in one year isn't another year.

One thing I would say is that they do usually look for a rigorous courseload, so 4 A-Levels at a high standard is usually at an advantage to 3, but 3 at a high standard is going to be more favorable than 4 at a lower standard.

Honestly, for academics, you've done all you can for decisions on what to do - so don't stress about it. Look at what you can control - your essays being the main thing, your grades being another, and your ECs being the final crucial steps. Your ECs look strong, so you're good there, but it's always good to develop them within your means. Do what you genuinely enjoy - not because you think it will look good to the universities, and make sure it doesn't affect your grades.

Original post by 320ma22
you'll also need to pay for the financial aid application and its like £25 plus an extra £10 for each additional uni. (I think these prices are roughly right)

You've given really good advice here. Just for clarity, the exact figures for the CSS Profile is $25 for your first university, and $16 per university thereafter. While CommonApp fee waivers are available for most schools to international students, this is not the case for the CSS Profile, so this is a guaranteed expense if they apply to all of these schools.
(edited 2 years ago)
Your extracurriculars sound really good. Definitely look into example successful essays for top US unis though; the writing style is really different, and pretty specific. Don't worry about 4 A levels; A levels are harder than American APs in the first place. By the way, you might be able to get credit towards freshman courses.
Original post by yus7
Hi I’m currently a Year 12 student in the UK but my dream is to study in the US at a top university. My list (in order) is:
Columbia
Yale
Chicago
Northwestern
Colgate
Bard (safety)
and I will also apply to universities in the UK.
I got 999999887 (distinctions in spanish and english language) for my gcses, and i’m predicted A*A*A for A levels.
As for extracurriculars i’m on the school’s media team and write for the newspaper and magazine, i have done a 3 month internship with a financial consultancy firm, I am a founder of Economics Society at school, President of Drama Club, a pastoral team leader, was a language leader for a year, making a short film outside of school (small project but i am very passionate about film so i would like to include this on my app), volunteer at a theatre and help out with school productions, did 2 fundraising and awareness campaigns (earning an active citizenship award for one of them), have work experience at a law firm lined up, a part time job, i’m running for head girl (hopefully will be elected), attend english society, book club and play reading club and finally have won immerse education’s international oxbridge essay competition.

I will likely have really strong letters of recommendation from my teachers (i attend my school’s sixth form so they know me very well) and I am a very strong writer so I am not concerned about my essays.

I can hardly find any information online about the standard of extra curriculars and grades needed for the above schools (especially yale and columbia) so I’m very worried that I haven’t done anything enough or that I should have taken 4 alevels, what are my chances with 3 alevels and the extracurriculars that I have mentioned?
Thank you very much :smile:

My brother goes northwestern!!
Reply 6
Original post by yus7
Thank you so much your reply is seriously so reassuring! Yes I’ve made a note of the application fees and I have made sure that all of the unis on my list have meet 100% of demonstrated financial need! I’m also set to take the SAT next week but honestly it’s really not my strong point so I will likely go test optional which isn’t ideal but I hope it won’t sffect my application too much :/ My A levels are English Literature, Drama and Economics (I tried to get the variation through economics) Thank you again!

good luck for your SAT!! just try and do some practice papers and hopefully it will go well, but if not test optional is still there!!
Original post by ry7xsfa
Your ECs and GCSEs are very good!

Unfortunately, it's really impossible to give you a good idea of your chances, since admission to these extremely selective US universities is pretty much a lottery. That's also a reason why you can't find any info on what's needed - they look at everything in context, and what is enough to get in one year isn't another year.

One thing I would say is that they do usually look for a rigorous courseload, so 4 A-Levels at a high standard is usually at an advantage to 3, but 3 at a high standard is going to be more favorable than 4 at a lower standard.

Honestly, for academics, you've done all you can for decisions on what to do - so don't stress about it. Look at what you can control - your essays being the main thing, your grades being another, and your ECs being the final crucial steps. Your ECs look strong, so you're good there, but it's always good to develop them within your means. Do what you genuinely enjoy - not because you think it will look good to the universities, and make sure it doesn't affect your grades.

You've given really good advice here. Just for clarity, the exact figures for the CSS Profile is $25 for your first university, and $16 per university thereafter. While CommonApp fee waivers are available for most schools to international students, this is not the case for the CSS Profile, so this is a guaranteed expense if they apply to all of these schools.

Thank you so much this is very helpful!
Original post by Anonymous
My brother goes northwestern!!

that’s so cool does he like it there?
Original post by yus7
that’s so cool does he like it there?

He loves it, I wish you the best of luck with everything!!
Original post by Anonymous
He loves it, I wish you the best of luck with everything!!

That’s great! Thank you so much :smile:
Do not confuse needs aware with needs blind,I think you have some OK super curriculars but so will virtually everyone else and many will have better,really concentrate on one or two areas.. Im not sure if you know its pretty hard not to win an immerse education essay competition or to give it its correct title-Get a few quid off a very expensive course that has nothing to do with Oxford or Cambridge University..Try entering real essay competitions..

My school gets a fair few into Ivy and Ivy level each year and your GCSE results would be seen as lower end applicant with a 7 and for A level most would be be looking at 3A* but,having said that I know someone who has just got a place at UC Berkeley that is below that level..
Reply 12
quick question, i have hella awards n my predicted a level grades are A* A* A, but i have no 9s at gcses, 4 8s and all 7s, do I have a chance or no

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending