The Student Room Group

Can I still get a 1st if I fail my dissertation.

So I feel like I'm going to get a really low mark on my dissertation because I am struggling with statistical analysis and I just feel like it's going to be really terribly written. Therefore I was wondering if I could still get a 1st overall even if I fail the dissertation. My University uses either 25% 2nd year and 75% 3rd year weighting or 100% 3rd year weighting depending on which method gives me the highest mark.
In 2nd year I achieved 77.7% overall.
These are my marks in 3rd year so far:
Cell Biology(30 credits) - 71.46%
Integrated Pathology (30 credits)- 74.8%
Haematology and Transfusion (15 credits)- 72%
Immunology and Immunological Disorders (15 credits)- 63%
Dissertation (30 credits):
Proposal- 14%
Report- Waiting
What score would I need to get in my Dissertation to get a 1st? Could I get away with a low 2:1/2:2?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My University uses either 25% 2nd year and 75% 3rd year weighting or 100% 3rd year weighting depending on which method gives me the highest mark.

What university has this system?
So I feel like I'm going to get a really low mark on my dissertation because I am struggling with statistical analysis and I just feel like it's going to be really terribly written. Therefore I was wondering if I could still get a 1st overall even if I fail the dissertation. My University uses either 25% 2nd year and 75% 3rd year weighting or 100% 3rd year weighting depending on which method gives me the highest mark.
Proposal- 14%
Report- Waiting
What score would I need to get in my Dissertation to get a 1st? Could I get away with a low 2:1/2:2?

Pretty sure you have to pass your dissertation to graduate. I failed my dissertariin and had to resit it in order to graduate with a BAHons
Reply 3
Usually passing the dissertation is a prerequisite to graduating.
Reply 4
Original post by asclepeion
What university has this system?

Well its MMU so I'm aware it's not the best uni
Reply 5
Original post by PonchoKid
Pretty sure you have to pass your dissertation to graduate. I failed my dissertariin and had to resit it in order to graduate with a BAHons

My uni never said anything about that, it's just its own unit worth 30 credits just like every other unit. And it's only around 5000-6000 words not 10,000+ like most dissertations
As others have said, most unis (that I know of) don't let you graduate with failed modules in your final year, which would include the dissertation.

There's usually a handbook/guidance of some kind provided by the uni that explains the intricacies of how you're grade will be calculated, whether you can fail any credits (and if so how many), whether all your credits are counted towards your grade, how each module is weighted, etc. Often it will also include a formula or calculator for you to input your marks and figure out your own grade as it stands.
That would be your best place to consult as it will be specific to your uni/course.
If it's confusing or you can't find the info you want, email your tutor for clarification.

If you're worrying about your dissertation, I would also suggest emailing and/or meeting up with your supervisor asap to check you're on the right track and to get some pointers - that's what they're there for after all.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
My uni never said anything about that, it's just its own unit worth 30 credits just like every other unit. And it's only around 5000-6000 words not 10,000+ like most dissertations

Never mind, I checked and you're right, I would need to pass the dissertation in order to graduate, but I'm wondering if I could still get a 1st with a low mark?
Never mind, I checked and you're right, I would need to pass the dissertation in order to graduate, but I'm wondering if I could still get a 1st with a low mark?

Under the 25:75 methodology you need to average 67.433 in your final year. I calculate that getting a 58 in your dissertation would get you over the line, but strive for higher.
Depends on your uni but as above, usually you need to pass the dissertation to get honours - the people I knew back in Exeter who failed their dissertations just got an ordinary degree (which isn't classed).

In any case, under scheme 1 (100% 3rd year counting towards your classification) assuming no other factors, you would need 66.24% in the diss to get a 1st overall. Under scheme 2 (25% 2nd year and 75% 3rd year) you would need 56.91% in the diss to get a 1st overall. Both times I rounded to two dp. So a high 2:2 at minimum, or a strong 2:1 otherwise.

This does assume there are no other considerations and they purely determine classification based on a simple average which is often not the case, especially if you fall on the borderline - in which case they often consider your overall performance, and a weak dissertation might make them lean towards the lower of the two classifications in that case.
Thanks a lot for that it's much appreciated!
Proposal- 14%
Report- Waiting

You're grades so far are amazing! My undergrad dissertation is worth 100% of that module! I don't want to answer your question, simply because I truly don't know the answer and don't want to either worry you unnecessarily, or give you false hope. I'm sure that either way, with grades like yours so far, you'll do amazingly! Good luck 🤞🍀🌠🙏🏻💯

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending