The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Something I’ve noticed is the difference between the way they treat me (unattractive) compared to other girls. Thry pedastalise the other girls while not giving me the basic human decency I deserve.

It's due to Attractiveness Bias, and applies in the other direction (gender-wise) too.

See Attractiveness Bias: Why attractive people often get preferential treatment for a summary of the behaviour and some of the associated studies.
Something I’ve noticed is the difference between the way they treat me (unattractive) compared to other girls. Thry pedastalise the other girls while not giving me the basic human decency I deserve.

Women do this too, they treat attractive guys better whether they realise it or not.
I think its a general thing regardless of gender, hence why there are studies to see whether "blind dates" truly work. This is because appearance DOES change how one person feels about another whether they admit it or not.
People, in general, treat attractive people better..... These girls at my secondary school treated my friend worse than another girl bcs the other girl was really pretty. They would only complain about my friend for being really quiet when they were both really quiet.
Two words: pretty privilege.
Women do they same thing to be fair if you are not attracted to someone maybe you don't have the motivation to talk to someone and be nice to them

Because guys want sex and they won't have sex with someone that looks unattractive. I am not saying that you are ugly. I am saying that if you put some effort losing weight (which shouldn't be too difficult) and look a certain way, you will attract all the males on the planet.

They pedestalise other girls because they're trying to get into their pants. Also, like everyone else on here said, physically attractive people are treated better than physically unattractive people. That's just how the world works unfortunately. However, girls do this as well. How many times have you seen guys complain about the fact that if you're not 6 foot tall or don't have a strong jawline and six pack then girls won't give them the time of the day? Everyone actually prefers everyone looking 'a certain way' and physically attractive people are treated better in society. That's just the sad reality of life.
Sighted humans are very visual.
Tend to base their first impressions of random strangers and much of their attitude towards those that they do know a bit about upon their peceptions of physical factors connected to appearance & then lifestyle choices.

Often it is not an issue that involves respect.
More sexual interest, admiration, appreciation of looks/beauty/taking a lot of care over appearance, very rude manners or a lack of self-control.
It is important to remember that different people often have very different beauty standards and attraction dealbreakers.
Because guys want sex and they won't have sex with someone that looks unattractive. I am not saying that you are ugly. I am saying that if you put some effort losing weight (which shouldn't be too difficult) and look a certain way, you will attract all the males on the planet.

They pedestalise other girls because they're trying to get into their pants. Also, like everyone else on here said, physically attractive people are treated better than physically unattractive people. That's just how the world works unfortunately. However, girls do this as well. How many times have you seen guys complain about the fact that if you're not 6 foot tall or don't have a strong jawline and six pack then girls won't give them the time of the day? Everyone actually prefers everyone looking 'a certain way' and physically attractive people are treated better in society. That's just the sad reality of life.

who said the OP was fat? but meh
Original post by Talkative Toad
who said the OP was fat? but meh

I just assumed that she was, because guys usually don't like girls that are too overweight or obese. That's just how guys are. Guys prefer girls more on the skinnier side (not always, but generally). That's why I assumed she was fat. If she's not fat, then she probably just has very low self-esteem or is looking for attention.
when you say respect, what do you actually mean by that? as in kindness or they're more loyal, generous?
and you say that if you are "unattractive", men treat you without respect. you mention that you have perhaps experienced this type of treatment. how so?
I just assumed that she was, because guys usually don't like girls that are too overweight or obese. That's just how guys are. Guys prefer girls more on the skinnier side (not always, but generally). That's why I assumed she was fat. If she's not fat, then she probably just has very low self-esteem or is looking for attention.

or maybe the guys are shallow? but i agree, both genders do this not just men.
(edited 2 years ago)
or maybe the guys are shallow? but i agree, both genders do this not just men.

There's no such thing as shallow. Everyone prefers everyone looking a certain way as I have explained previously. Girls wouldn't date someone who's 5 feet tall, is obese, has no hobbies and is poor. Guys are just more honest about the fact that they care about girls looks, whereas girls usually try to spread bs that personality matters when in fact they themselves wouldn't consider dating an obese short man.
There's no such thing as shallow. Everyone prefers everyone looking a certain way as I have explained previously. Girls wouldn't date someone who's 5 feet tall, is obese, has no hobbies and is poor. Guys are just more honest about the fact that they care about girls looks, whereas girls usually try to spread bs that personality matters when in fact they themselves wouldn't consider dating an obese short man.

your just making generalisations like the title of this thread has, different people have different preferences being fat does not always mean that your ugly (depends of the person).
your just making generalisations like the title of this thread has, different people have different preferences being fat does not always mean that your ugly (depends of the person).

I don't understand how anyone would find a fat person more attractive. You're just telling me lies. As I have explained before, no girls would give a short obese guy their time of the day. That's just how the world works. I am not saying personality does not matter, but I would say that 80% of your attractiveness is determined by your looks. You can be a complete a$$ and still be attractive and successful in relationships. Take a look at girls and how they are always attracted to guys that treat them bad, then they end up crying that the guy is an a$$hole That's because the guy is so attractive that girls hope that they'll change his personality. I see this happening all the time.
I don't understand how anyone would find a fat person more attractive. You're just telling me lies. As I have explained before, no girls would give a short obese guy their time of the day. That's just how the world works. I am not saying personality does not matter, but I would say that 80% of your attractiveness is determined by your looks. You can be a complete a$$ and still be attractive and successful in relationships. Take a look at girls and how they are always attracted to guys that treat them bad, then they end up crying that the guy is an a$$hole That's because the guy is so attractive that girls hope that they'll change his personality. I see this happening all the time.

who said that i'd find them attractive? the point i'm trying to make is that some people would find fat people attractive and that as ROLT says you don't need to be fat to be considered unattractive by society hence why you can paint all guys and girls under the same brush.
who said that i'd find them attractive? the point i'm trying to make is that some people would find fat people attractive and that as ROLT says you don't need to be fat to be considered unattractive by society hence why you can paint all guys and girls under the same brush.

And this is exactly where we disagree. I am saying that no one would find fat people attractive and your looks is the main thing that both genders think is important. People who say that personality matters are just brainwashing those who are actually unattractive and fat and try to give them 'hope', but the reality is that it's all about your looks. The OP understands the reality and how important looks are in order to compete in the dating market. Now it's up to the OP to do some self improvement. Fatness is unattractive for everybody.
And this is exactly where we disagree. I am saying that no one would find fat people attractive and your looks is the main thing that both genders think is important. People who say that personality matters are just brainwashing those who are actually unattractive and fat and try to give them 'hope', but the reality is that it's all about your looks. The OP understands the reality and how important looks are in order to compete in the dating market. Now it's up to the OP to do some self improvement. Fatness is unattractive for everybody.

are you just creating new accounts or? (are you anon 3-8?). You need to understand that different people have different preferences so we can't paint all genders under brush like you and the OP have done. Some (many) people i agree only care about looks and dismiss personality other people care about both. I also agree with other users who have said that women do this too. Also have the guts to come off of anon rather than abusing the feature.
Humans are shallow and appearance focused /end thread

Latest

Trending

Trending