The Student Room Group

Driving test tips

I have my driving test coming up. Does anyone have any tips and what manoeuvre did you have to do on your test

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danielliam2004
I have my driving test coming up. Does anyone have any tips and what manoeuvre did you have to do on your test

Hi there.

@Driving_Mad could help :smile:

Good luck for your test!

I have mine next week my guy actually. I think they make you do at least one reversing manoeuvre, and then you could get one more too, like the reverse parallel park or driving into a bay.

They also make you park on the left hand side and drive on a few times during the test.

Good luck buddy.
Reply 3
Eat a banana before the test
Reply 4
Slightly exaggerate everything so it's obvious you are doing your checks before you start, and when using your mirrors during the test, ie moving your head, not just your eyes..

Make sure you know where all the controls are in the test car so you can use them without hesitation. I had a sudden heavy rainstorm during my test and the examiner complimented me for prompt use of the windscreen wipers.

Best of luck.
Original post by Driving_Mad
I have mine next week my guy actually. I think they make you do at least one reversing manoeuvre, and then you could get one more too, like the reverse parallel park or driving into a bay.

They also make you park on the left hand side and drive on a few times during the test.

Good luck buddy.

I thought you could drive but good luck for your test anyways :smile:
Movrd to Learning to drive
Make sure you look at your mirrors!! Make sure you look left and right at junctions before moving out. I had to do a right hand side parking, and was asked to do an emergency stop. They do ask you to stop at the side of the road, so make sure you look at mirror, brake, and put your indicator on.

Most important, just think of it as a normal driving lesson, have fun driving(ik it's a test), and hopefully this may help ease your anxiety! :smile: (I failed twice, and past on my third, so don't give up, if you fail!!)
If you make a mistake (or think you have) don’t give up and start driving carelessly, drive like you are trying to regain your dignity so that the rest of the drive is almost faultless. I thought I’d made a major automatic fail mistake but finished to regain my dignity and ended up passing with only minor fault. At the end of the day, only the examiner knows if you’ve passed or failed so don’t presume you have and give up!
Good luck!
Haven’t done my test yet, it’s in august, but these are habits I’ve had to develop.

Don’t forget to turn your hand brake off when moving off, killer. Don’t forget to check your right blind spot when moving off, another killer.

When driving, look well ahead to assess any hazards, and prepare to react. Look at road signs to check what speed limit it is for the road, and build up speed appropriately. Otherwise you could slow down traffic behind you. You will notice these when joining the road, if there is none then assume it hasn’t changed.

If you stall, just breathe. Try again. Remember that it only turns into a serious fault if you do it repeatedly and stop traffic behind you.

If you take the wrong exit out of a roundabout, it’s okay provided you do it safely. Remember to pay close attention to your lane, and show good lane discipline.

Don’t signal too early.

Good luck.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10

Good luck buddy.

You will only EVER have to do one reversing manoeuvre. You *will* have to drive forwards into a bay when you get back to the test centre but it isn't judged as a manoeuvre, you don't even have to get it inside the lines.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TheDE
You will only EVER have to do one reversing manoeuvre. You *will* have to drive forwards into a bay when you get back to the test centre but it isn't judged as a manoeuvre, you don't even have to get it inside the lines.

I should be watching something tonight, but instead I am here debating about what will be tested on a driving test and reading up on the Edexcel Maths Large Data Set.

Good to know it’s only one reversing manoeuvre. I hope I get the bay one / park on the right and reverse and not the parallel park. With my new instructor we haven’t practised any of the manoeuvres, should be good though because I know how to do them anyway.

Driving for 40-45 minutes right ?
Yeah it’s about 40 minutes
I should be watching something tonight, but instead I am here debating about what will be tested on a driving test and reading up on the Edexcel Maths Large Data Set.

Good to know it’s only one reversing manoeuvre. I hope I get the bay one / park on the right and reverse and not the parallel park. With my new instructor we haven’t practised any of the manoeuvres, should be good though because I know how to do them anyway.

It’s about 40 yeah

Yeah it’s about 40 minutes
Reply 14

Officially it’s 38-40 minutes but over covid we were asked to reduce the routes down to 30-35 minutes.
Original post by TheDE
Officially it’s 38-40 minutes but over covid we were asked to reduce the routes down to 30-35

Is it really hard to pass
Reply 16
Original post by TheDE
Officially it’s 38-40 minutes but over covid we were asked to reduce the routes down to 30-35

Is it really hard to pass

It's not that difficult if you have done enough lessons and have good car control. Mostly confidence affects people.
Original post by TheDE
It's not that difficult if you have done enough lessons and have good car control. Mostly confidence affects people.

Do different instructors fail people more easily than others
Reply 18
Do different instructors fail people more easily than others

Sadly yes, the guidelines for examiners leave a lot open to interpretation, especially for accumulation of minor faults.
Original post by TheDE
Sadly yes, the guidelines for examiners leave a lot open to interpretation, especially for accumulation of minor faults.

How about for serious faults

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending