The Student Room Group

Anxiety while driving

I've picked up driving again, and have been driving for a good while now. However I'm still very nervous when driving, I feel like I forget everything I know as soon as one bad little thing happens, I start massively over revving and making mistake after mistake. Any advice?
Reply 1
Yes, keep things simple and just practice in very quiet spots until your feet have settled and can play their own 'tune' without having to look down or to even look at them (or your hands)

When your feet are much more confident to respond automatically and you can trust them - the interactions with other road users will be a little easier. It is only natural to forget everything when you get stressed. Keep the enjoyment factor that is key.

Keep going and don't give up - you are on a journey and you will succeed.
Original post by Muttly
Yes, keep things simple and just practice in very quiet spots until your feet have settled and can play their own 'tune' without having to look down or to even look at them (or your hands)

When your feet are much more confident to respond automatically and you can trust them - the interactions with other road users will be a little easier. It is only natural to forget everything when you get stressed. Keep the enjoyment factor that is key.

Keep going and don't give up - you are on a journey and you will succeed.

Thank you, that was helpful :smile:
Original post by simple newt
I've picked up driving again, and have been driving for a good while now. However I'm still very nervous when driving, I feel like I forget everything I know as soon as one bad little thing happens, I start massively over revving and making mistake after mistake. Any advice?

Try driving when it's not too busy (weekends or evenings) and in a quiet area so that you can build up your confidence and then it doesn't matter if you make a mistake as no one will be there to see it! It also allows you to fine tune the basics. I started in an industrial estate at night when I turned 17 and then did familiar routes until I built up the confidence to tackle the city near me. Make sure you also go out when you're feeling your best (well rested, positive mindset, not in a rush to be somewhere, wearing your comfiest shoes) and make sure that the person accompanying you is in a good mood too lol. Then even if you make a mistake you will be able to recover from it better. x
Original post by Wiggle26
Try driving when it's not too busy (weekends or evenings) and in a quiet area so that you can build up your confidence and then it doesn't matter if you make a mistake as no one will be there to see it! It also allows you to fine tune the basics. I started in an industrial estate at night when I turned 17 and then did familiar routes until I built up the confidence to tackle the city near me. Make sure you also go out when you're feeling your best (well rested, positive mindset, not in a rush to be somewhere, wearing your comfiest shoes) and make sure that the person accompanying you is in a good mood too lol. Then even if you make a mistake you will be able to recover from it better. x

Yeah definitely, got my driving test in 2 days so hopefully I can reign my anxiety in a little bit! Thank you.
Original post by simple newt
Yeah definitely, got my driving test in 2 days so hopefully I can reign my anxiety in a little bit! Thank you.

Good luck!! I'm sure you'll smash it x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending