The Student Room Group

Retaking a practical test after 3 years

As the title says, it's been 3 years since I was last behind a wheel on my 1st and only test so far. 1 lapse in concentration ****ed me over on that one. Since then, I've moved about 10 miles up the road and I've realised that I think it's time to give it another go. So, I have a couple of questions:

First, I'm thinking I might do an intensive course to get me back to test standard. Given that I've already done loads of lessons (more than most, it seems), I think that makes sense. If I do, how long should I do the course for? I feel like it shouldn't take much to get me back to standard on most things but I'm also very nervous on lessons so I'm trying to figure out how that factors in. For those in a similar situation, how long did you do and was it enough?

Second, should I do my test where I did it last time? I'm in a student house atm so I might end up back where I was at some point but that's a few years down the line now. I still remember the roads and the routes pretty well there whereas I barely even know where the test centre is here. I've been told you should do your test where you are but I want to do it where I know. Which is better? For reference, where I was originally also has a significantly higher pass rate.

Thanks!
Original post by stressedmadman
As the title says, it's been 3 years since I was last behind a wheel on my 1st and only test so far. 1 lapse in concentration ****ed me over on that one. Since then, I've moved about 10 miles up the road and I've realised that I think it's time to give it another go. So, I have a couple of questions:

First, I'm thinking I might do an intensive course to get me back to test standard. Given that I've already done loads of lessons (more than most, it seems), I think that makes sense. If I do, how long should I do the course for? I feel like it shouldn't take much to get me back to standard on most things but I'm also very nervous on lessons so I'm trying to figure out how that factors in. For those in a similar situation, how long did you do and was it enough?

Second, should I do my test where I did it last time? I'm in a student house atm so I might end up back where I was at some point but that's a few years down the line now. I still remember the roads and the routes pretty well there whereas I barely even know where the test centre is here. I've been told you should do your test where you are but I want to do it where I know. Which is better? For reference, where I was originally also has a significantly higher pass rate.

Thanks!

Hi there.

I think that once you feel ready you should go for booking a test. Intensive courses are generally for those who want to pass fast so it's worth considering how much about driving you remember. As for location it's your choice but doing it a familiar area can really help you to feel less anxious on the test date.

@Driving_Mad could provide further advice :smile:

Best wishes :smile:
Original post by stressedmadman

Thanks!

Take the test at your old centre I would say. I’d advise you to call an instructor up, ask them to assess your driving, and see how you’re doing (whether you’re ready or not). Not too sure about the intensive course, I’ve heard they aren’t the best but maybe I have heard wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending