The Student Room Group

Official: King's College London A100 2023 Entry Applicants and Offer Holders thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2022MedApplicant
For those who are angry with the University I empathise with you and I understand your frustration. I would just like to offer the other side of the story for potential applicants who will be applying next year. You can see from the previous posts a lot of the truth about what happened to *some* people last year. But please don't be entirely put off. There were a lot of people who did receive offers and King's is definitely a university to consider. For a 2023 applicant, if you do wish to apply here then make that choice on your own. Do take into account what people have said but there is also a flip side and in a year where everything was so competitive due to backlog from last year and rising applicant numbers, there were a lot of people who did get offers. This is simply an unbiased opinion for any potential applicant and I mean no disrespect to the people who feel they have been treated unjustly, It is a long wait and there is less communication but there are many good things about this university and going here would be a wonderful opportunity for anyone who is thinking of applying. Please do not be completely put off!

I have seen almost nobody complain about not getting an offer. Issues have been with the disrespectful, disorganised and unprofessional way in which applicants have been treated by Kings' Admissions - traits, which if they were demonstrated by the applicants, would (rightly) lead to them being considered unsuitable.

The way the process has been dealt with has nothing to do with competition and whether offers have been given out, and everything to do with organisation, planning, respect and decency. Would-be applicants need to decide for themselves whether the attitudes that have been demonstrated by Kings are representative of how they view applicants and are likely to treat their students.
Based on events of this year, I think it would be hard to describe potentially opening yourself up to this level of stress as a "wonderful opportunity", but individuals must weigh up what is important for them when making choices
Original post by username5949496
QS ranks it 16th in the world - it is prestigious (and you all know this or you wouldn’t have applied there). And if it is as bad as you say, what does it say about all of you that didn’t get a place. Embarrassing.

Firstly, I didn’t even apply but have seen the treatment other friends and applicants have gotten so jokes on you lol. Secondly using QS ranking is irrelevant when I’m talking about the ranking in terms of medicine which as loads of people have already said, ranks low. So no , not really embarrassing when I get a good laugh from my side
Original post by 2022MedApplicant
For those who are angry with the University I empathise with you and I understand your frustration. I would just like to offer the other side of the story for potential applicants who will be applying next year. You can see from the previous posts a lot of the truth about what happened to *some* people last year. But please don't be entirely put off. There were a lot of people who did receive offers and King's is definitely a university to consider. For a 2023 applicant, if you do wish to apply here then make that choice on your own. Do take into account what people have said but there is also a flip side and in a year where everything was so competitive due to backlog from last year and rising applicant numbers, there were a lot of people who did get offers. This is simply an unbiased opinion for any potential applicant and I mean no disrespect to the people who feel they have been treated unjustly, It is a long wait and there is less communication but there are many good things about this university and going here would be a wonderful opportunity for anyone who is thinking of applying. Please do not be completely put off!

It wasn't just some applicants. It was pretty much all those rejected. I don't think, at least for medicine, they actually sent many or even any rejections themselves. Almost ALL rejections were done by the UCAS auto-reject.
Reply 63
Please do go through the 2022 thread to see how this university treated its thousands of medical school applicants in 2022.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6963390

To summarise (to the best of my honesty - happy to modify when new evidence emerge):

- Zero communication after applications for many many

- Zero communication after interview for all interviewed

- Generic feedback after auto-rejection by UCAS upon request (except one according to the thread)

- No interview score - don't believe they have the scores

- Contradiction in their emails and online portal after UCAS deadline (19 May 2022) for them to respond has passed - many applicants have no idea whether they are still being considered - to date!

- Missing student file - please see @micholate9 for details https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=97171186&postcount=7585. God know how they handled applicants' files

- Many applicants with UCAT score above 3000 were rejected - not in previous years as far as we can tell - so every reason to believe they messed up with the interview process - unless they can provide evidence it is otherwise.

- Lies over the phone (please refer to the last few pages of the thread) to multiple applicants - e.g. claim they could change the UCAS status after the deadline; claim they were still sending out interview invitation

- Left it for UCAS to auto-reject students - how disrespectful - no other university did this

- This happened in the weeks leading to the A level exams - appalling

This a true reflection of the quality of student service offered by this seemingly prestigious university - largely because of its location.

Be aware, their medical school ranked below 30 out of ~35 medical schools in the UK in the past few years so don't be deluded.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2021/sep/11/best-uk-universities-for-medicine-league-table
Original post by username5949496
QS ranks it 16th in the world - it is prestigious (and you all know this or you wouldn’t have applied there). And if it is as bad as you say, what does it say about all of you that didn’t get a place. Embarrassing.

Embarrassing you couldn't back up your point further and had to delete your account. You're a law applicant, not a medical one.
Original post by Mr. Average
Embarrassing you couldn't back up your point further and had to delete your account. You're a law applicant, not a medical one.

What an absolute waffler that user is, it’s always the ones that have no idea what they are talking about that say the most. You can’t compare medicine to law what a joker. Embarrassing
Original post by Mr. Average

HAHAHAHAHAH cos this all started because the replied to my original comment, we always get the last laugh lol
For those who have gotten a conditional offer, what were your gcse? Currently I am in year 12 and am considering taking medicine at KCL however my English language grade (5) isn’t the required 6.
Do you have any advice? Do they reject you based on your gcse even if you have all the other requirements and more?
i haven't looked at the website but if it says there that you must have at least a grade 6 in english language then you must have a grade 6 in english language, they 100% can reject you on that ground especially for a very competitive course such as medicine. if you're desperate to apply to KCL then the best option for you would probably be to resit gcse english language. KCL also score your gcses so make sure you check their other requirements as it might be a waste of application space if you're going to be auto-rejected for having low gcses. please don't fixate on a specific med school before you have sat your ucat as you might be disappointed and it might not be a realistic option for you
best of luck with your application tho!
Original post by Kamran3939
For those who have gotten a conditional offer, what were your gcse? Currently I am in year 12 and am considering taking medicine at KCL however my English language grade (5) isn’t the required 6.
Do you have any advice? Do they reject you based on your gcse even if you have all the other requirements and more?

I'm afraid if it's below their stated requirement then there is no point applying. Have you considered resitting?

Also, please do look at the previous posts on this thread before deciding if applying to King's is worth the drama.
Wanted to post this before I forget about that I’ve ever applied to King’s. Some background about me~ I withdrew from King’s as their admin never told me anything since October and I had other offers which I then firmed. I would’ve loved a King’s offer but what their admin have done does not make me want to go to their university anymore. But here are some pros and cons for the university for those who want to apply:

Pros:
1) King’s hospitals are amazing- they’re the largest in London and deliver amazing care
2) Teaching is great, not much complaints on that end, as professors are knowledgeable and lecture well
3) London: KCL’s location is one of the best, it’s right in the middle!
4) International name recognition: (for those who care) it has decent name recognition around the world
5) YouTubers: Tash Binnie, Kharmamedic, Kenzie, etc 😂😂

Cons:
1) Admin will not give you placements etc on the correct time- they won’t contact you for cancelled lectures etc
2) Notoriously difficult first year- dump you straight in to large workload and no placements
3) Students report having low pastoral support, hard to get support even if requested
4) Placements are horrendously arranged and extremely last minute- admin delays placements and forgets people, doesn’t send out schedules, etc (This year they scheduled a retired professor for lectures on students timetables, and what a surprise it was when students didn’t get lectures?)

5) Horrific admissions process: some students with higher UCAT + GCSE’s received no interviews, and many were left hanging until late April/May- absolutely no contact etc- very disrespectful and does not care about you~ even I never even received a confirmation email for my application!

If you’re an international- I would most definitely not recommend as their admin is so shambolic, and this means late accommodation, CAS Number for Visa, and what if they lose your BRP? What next?
Hi does anyone know can a graduate apply to the A100 Medicine at KCL with a 2.1 or do they have to apply to the A102 graduate entry?
I’m confused by the website where it says suitably qualified graduates can apply for A100. Does this mean a graduate would also need the A-level requirements to apply for A100? It doesn’t seem like this would be the case but just want to confirm with someone else.

If anyone has any information about this I’d be grateful
Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rob1001
Hi does anyone know can a graduate apply to the A100 Medicine at KCL with a 2.1 or do they have to apply to the A102 graduate entry?
I’m confused by the website where it says suitably qualified graduates can apply for A100. Does this mean a graduate would also need the A-level requirements to apply for A100? It doesn’t seem like this would be the case but just want to confirm with someone else.

Thanks

Yes you can apply; no you don’t need the a levels. But from our experiences this year I wouldn’t recommend unless you want heartbreak and uncertainty for 8 months straight only to be autorejected on the UCAS deadline 😩
Original post by Rob1001

Thanks

You can apply for either or both. The requirements for grads on A100 are listed here: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-mbbs

Note that there are funding implications of doing A100 as a grad, so that’s something else to consider https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/outreach-and-support/financing-your-studies

I would look through the KCL threads from this year so that you are prepared for the application process (it was a shambles this year).
Original post by Rob1001

Thanks

Yes you can apply, but you may never hear back. I applied with a 2.i and a UCAT of 2990 B2. I never heard back from them, not so much as an acknowledgment. So I’d be careful not wasting a choice on a uni who’ criteria is not very clear.
Hi guys I took the UCAT today and got a score of 3000 + band 1. I'm not sure if this is sufficient enough for an international student, especially since overseas offer holder's UCAT average for 2021 was around 3046. Any advice please :frown:
Original post by whitespider
Hi guys I took the UCAT today and got a score of 3000 + band 1. I'm not sure if this is sufficient enough for an international student, especially since overseas offer holder's UCAT average for 2021 was around 3046. Any advice please :frown:

Where did you get that an overseas offer holder average was 3046? Is this for King’s or everywhere?

You’d likely get an interview for King’s this year if you had full (8x A*) GCSE’s, but nobody knows for next year. May be more or less competitive. You have basically every university option available to you though (depending on your grades and GCSE’s), so you should be fine and get an interview. I did worse than you by a bit and still got an offer as an international at another university!

On another note, if you want cutoffs/info for int’l students, feel free to PM me or go to the mega thread for which medical school to apply!

PS: King’s admissions is incredibly long and you may not hear from them until May, and they don’t give you any notice/updates. Kind of disrespectful honestly, but you can apply where you want ofc!
Original post by Lovebear2951
Where did you get that an overseas offer holder average was 3046? Is this for King’s or everywhere?

You’d likely get an interview for King’s this year if you had full (8x A*) GCSE’s, but nobody knows for next year. May be more or less competitive. You have basically every university option available to you though (depending on your grades and GCSE’s), so you should be fine and get an interview. I did worse than you by a bit and still got an offer as an international at another university!

On another note, if you want cutoffs/info for int’l students, feel free to PM me or go to the mega thread for which medical school to apply!

PS: King’s admissions is incredibly long and you may not hear from them until May, and they don’t give you any notice/updates. Kind of disrespectful honestly, but you can apply where you want ofc!

I got the info from the official KCL website but its reassuring that I might have a chance to get to the interview stage! Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by whitespider
I got the info from the official KCL website but its reassuring that I might have a chance to get to the interview stage! Thanks for the advice :smile:

The link below here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiTjPSjrcP5AhW8CTQIHUmEAO4QFnoECCUQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kcl.ac.uk%2Faboutkings%2Forgstructure%2Fps%2Facservices%2Fadmissions%2Fadmissions-statistics-2021.xlsx&usg=AOvVaw3RNZcVxVMZZO_4R10RwkhI

It says that for 2021 entry, the minimum and maximum UCAT are incredibly varied, from 2220 all the way to 3420. The average was 3039, which you're not too far away for. Though for King's admissions, we have always seen a couple of incredibly low UCAT scores being accepted (very odd and suspicious, IMO), and a much higher average. But as averages are, there are some that are lower and some that are higher.
Does anyone know if kings look at A level grades for the undergrad course if I have a degree? For example I got A*BB at a levels, but i have a 2:1 degree in biomed, so is it possible to apply for undergrad dentistry with these stats?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending