The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Brae House 2022

Hello! Moving in to Brae House, Block B this September and am wondering about parking - I cannot find ANY info online. I have to bring my car as I'm sure a few students will as George Square/central camous is a 30min walk away. Can any previous students/Edi residents tell me the best way to deal w how far out Brae is?

I'm also hoping a couple of students moving in to Brae House will want to make some friends here and get to know their future housemates for Sept 2022.

Annie
Here's a trip advisor answer for you: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/FAQ_Answers-g186525-d8872719-t2251129-Does_hotel_have_any_parking_available.html

From what I know of the area the answer is basically no. You'd have to find parking in a street nearby (I assume that's a permit part of Edinburgh too, though I couldn't say for certain).

Do you have a disability that makes the 30 minute walk too much? Most people I know live up to 30 min away and they just walk. Driving in isn't a better alternative as there isn't any parking at the main campus either. Again, unless there are specific reasons that would be better for you and then maybe there'd be special adjustments that could be put in place.

If you have no disability the quickest way would be to cycle (10 mins). Or you could get the 35 bus (20 mins)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I get the 45 bus which goes past Brae House, and takes about 10 minutes to get to main campus from there. Honestly a car would be a nightmare in Edinburgh. There's no parking anywhere. You'll probably find you don't use it much in fear of losing your parking space.
Original post by blackthorne
I get the 45 bus which goes past Brae House, and takes about 10 minutes to get to main campus from there. Honestly a car would be a nightmare in Edinburgh. There's no parking anywhere. You'll probably find you don't use it much in fear of losing your parking space.

That’s super valuable info, thank you! Bus looks like a great option. Is there a bus card you can get for discounted/regular use?
Original post by Anonymous
Here's a trip advisor answer for you: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/FAQ_Answers-g186525-d8872719-t2251129-Does_hotel_have_any_parking_available.html

From what I know of the area the answer is basically no. You'd have to find parking in a street nearby (I assume that's a permit part of Edinburgh too, though I couldn't say for certain).

Do you have a disability that makes the 30 minute walk too much? Most people I know live up to 30 min away and they just walk. Driving in isn't a better alternative as there isn't any parking at the main campus either. Again, unless there are specific reasons that would be better for you and then maybe there'd be special adjustments that could be put in place.

If you have no disability the quickest way would be to cycle (10 mins). Or you could get the 35 bus (20 mins)

Thanks for that. Driving in edi also looks a bit hectic. Much more a biking city I reckon. People don’t even drive to shops?? I will miss my car but best to leave it then, it seems.

you don’t happen to know how to contact brae house do you? I need to know what’s supplies in the room already ie a desk etc but can’t reach front office
Original post by jartbombsfnkejn1
That’s super valuable info, thank you! Bus looks like a great option. Is there a bus card you can get for discounted/regular use?

If you're under 21 you can get a free bus pass when living in Scotland. If you're over 21 then Lothian buses sell monthly bus passes with discounted rates for students.
Thanks for that. Driving in edi also looks a bit hectic. Much more a biking city I reckon. People don’t even drive to shops?? I will miss my car but best to leave it then, it seems.

you don’t happen to know how to contact brae house do you? I need to know what’s supplies in the room already ie a desk etc but can’t reach front office

This is a list of the rooms contents: https://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/our-accommodation/brae-house/brae-house/
Hello! Moving in to Brae House, Block B this September and am wondering about parking - I cannot find ANY info online. I have to bring my car as I'm sure a few students will as George Square/central camous is a 30min walk away. Can any previous students/Edi residents tell me the best way to deal w how far out Brae is?

I'm also hoping a couple of students moving in to Brae House will want to make some friends here and get to know their future housemates for Sept 2022.

Annie

Hi Annie! I am also moving into block B this September! Not sure about the car situation though :/ ? I would love to get your socials!

Eva
Original post by evasimovic
Hi Annie! I am also moving into block B this September! Not sure about the car situation though :/ ? I would love to get your socials!

Eva

Hey I am also moving to block B if you wanna chat!:smile:
Original post by skaegwhc
Hey I am also moving to block B if you wanna chat!:smile:

I would love to ! I have to wait 1 more day before I have been a member of the student forum long enough to privately chat with people. Sorry! I will start a chat tomo ! :smile:
I would love to ! I have to wait 1 more day before I have been a member of the student forum long enough to privately chat with people. Sorry! I will start a chat tomo ! :smile:

No problem! Or if you have ig you could message me on there- alexfrancss

Eva

hey, Im also moving into B block and haven't yet found anyone else who is!! Loe to know if there's any group chats etc.
Callia
Original post by megancb2004
hey, Im also moving into B block and haven't yet found anyone else who is!! Loe to know if there's any group chats etc.
Callia

Hey you can add me on insta - eva.simovic :smile:
Reply 13
Hey you can add me on insta - eva.simovic :smile:

Hi! I'm also in block B! I thought it might be a little weird to message you on insta right away. Which flat are you in?
Original post by mista1
Hi! I'm also in block B! I thought it might be a little weird to message you on insta right away. Which flat are you in?

Hi!! Sorry only just saw this ! Flat 23 block B !
Original post by megancb2004
Callia

Hi! Only just saw this ! What flat are u in ? :smile:
Hey! Not sure if anyone will see this but im moving into brae in September, and was wondering if the ey offer extended contracts, like until June/july

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending