The Student Room Group

2022/23 Detective Constable Police Now Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Got my online assessment results back today and I've passed! Hopefully waiting for an assessment centre date, but passing the online assessment is no guarantee to getting an assessment centre correct?
Reply 41
Original post by chradw1
Got my online assessment results back today and I've passed! Hopefully waiting for an assessment centre date, but passing the online assessment is no guarantee to getting an assessment centre correct?

Once you got your day 1 results they will email you to book the day 2. It will allow you to do it as long as you passed and they’ll send you a link. There is no reason for it not to allow you progress unless you withdraw or lack of appointments but in the latter you just have to wait
Reply 42
Original post by Tommo992
Had my assessment centre today, feel like it didn't go awful, but could have also gone a lot better. now just need to wait up to 10 days to get the results.

Hi, can you share a little how did it look like? was it face to face interview by videocall or like any kind of test with options to choose? :smile:
Reply 43
Got an email saying they are oversubscribed for City of London police so cannot invite me to an assessment centre. But I can transfer to another police force, but I can’t because they require driving licences. So I am a bit devastated :frown:
Original post by chradw1
Got an email saying they are oversubscribed for City of London police so cannot invite me to an assessment centre. But I can transfer to another police force, but I can’t because they require driving licences. So I am a bit devastated :frown:

PN is only one of several routes in, and in my opinion is probably the worst.

If you want to be a detective, there are the more traditional routes as well as direct entry.

If I'm honest with you, CoLP was always going to be a Hail Mary. It's an outstanding force especially as a DC and everyone is going to want that job. Look at Met as a TDC and I can't imagine you'll have too many problems.
Reply 45
Original post by Trinculo
PN is only one of several routes in, and in my opinion is probably the worst.

If you want to be a detective, there are the more traditional routes as well as direct entry.

If I'm honest with you, CoLP was always going to be a Hail Mary. It's an outstanding force especially as a DC and everyone is going to want that job. Look at Met as a TDC and I can't imagine you'll have too many problems.

Going to try my luck at directly entry for met detective whenever it becomes available. Would applying as a PC for DHEP to then become a DC also be a reasonable solution?
Original post by chradw1
Going to try my luck at directly entry for met detective whenever it becomes available. Would applying as a PC for DHEP to then become a DC also be a reasonable solution?

Not only is it a reasonable solution, it's easily the best solution. It gives you the chance to be a much better detective. If you take the NIE and become a TDC relatively quickly, you'll still have experience of street crime and good foundation. If you decide to wait a few years as a PC, there's every chance you'll pick up excellent skills that will make you a much more effective and sought after as a TDC. There are lots of DCs who can write up casefiles, but not as many who can write up casefiles and break down doors and drive fast.
Reply 47
Not only is it a reasonable solution, it's easily the best solution. It gives you the chance to be a much better detective. If you take the NIE and become a TDC relatively quickly, you'll still have experience of street crime and good foundation. If you decide to wait a few years as a PC, there's every chance you'll pick up excellent skills that will make you a much more effective and sought after as a TDC. There are lots of DCs who can write up casefiles, but not as many who can write up casefiles and break down doors and drive fast.

Thank you very much for your advice, just applied for ColP student officer instead and will keep an eye on the Met. Messed up my last application because was right in the middle of my dissertation and not focused at all, so will have to wait 6 months to reapply.
Reply 48
hey everyone, Met police degree holder detective programme is open now :smile:
Reply 49
Hey I had my assessment centre on Friday morning. Currently waiting to hear back. Thought it might be a nice idea if we created a WhatsApp group chat?
Hiya! I think I was in your session and still waiting too. Happy to dm you and start a group chat ☺️
Reply 51
Hey sorry just saw this but yes sounds good :smile: best of luck
Original post by xrcticmonkeys
Hiya! I think I was in your session and still waiting too. Happy to dm you and start a group chat ☺️
Nope. Not at all. They were about the programme and the role of a DC.
Original post by vma1g19
Are the questions based around the core competencies and 'explain a time when you demonstrated resilience' sort of thing? Did you plan your responses? I'm scared and I've not even began applying :/
I currently have my assessment centre on Friday however i've read that it's a 7 week residential training centre if accepted onto the programme - can anyone confirm if this is correct and if you HAVE to stay there throughout the week or you can commute daily? This would be a game changer for me as I have two young children so won't be staying away from home.
Original post by LGillan88
I currently have my assessment centre on Friday however i've read that it's a 7 week residential training centre if accepted onto the programme - can anyone confirm if this is correct and if you HAVE to stay there throughout the week or you can commute daily? This would be a game changer for me as I have two young children so won't be staying away from home.

I haven't seen anything about 'having' to stay but it sounds like the general expectation is that you are free to travel home on a Friday evening for the Weekend. Bear in mind, the summer academy days are supposed to be 11hrs long. Talk to them about it if you haven't already

If you don't mind me asking, how did the assessment go and what was it like? Any tips?
Reply 55
Hi everyone! I applied for the detective DHEP route with GMP and I passed the national soft on 22nd September and was told they would be in touch soon with a date for the online assessment. However, it is nearly 4 weeks later and I am yet to receive a date. Is this normal or should I send an email? I definitely haven’t missed an email as on my portal on the GMP career website where it says communication the last one is the email saying I have passed and will be in touch with a date! Thanks!
Hi everyone ! I just received an email saying they are full until end of March 2023 and future starting dates would be to start from SUMMER 2023. But in that case the results of my assessments will have expired by then. Does anyone know, maybe from past threads, if we have to resit all exams in a scenario where it’s not our fault we can’t start in time ? I just find it unfair to have to have to resist them all just because positions are full
Can someone please tell me what the shift pattern is for cid and safeguarding?? I have been given WA BCU
Original post by Sammyantha001
Can someone please tell me what the shift pattern is for cid and safeguarding?? I have been given WA BCU

Pretty sure its mostly earlies and lates and a shift of nights every 10 weeks.
Pretty sure its mostly earlies and lates and a shift of nights every 10 weeks.

I’m currently doing 7 on 3 off 7 on 4 off and the 4 earlies and 3 lates is a killer. I was hoping it maybe wouldn’t be so crap..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending