The Student Room Group

2022/23 Detective Constable Police Now Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sammyantha001
I’m currently doing 7 on 3 off 7 on 4 off and the 4 earlies and 3 lates is a killer. I was hoping it maybe wouldn’t be so crap..

I think it's a pretty good shift pattern. Should be something like 4/2 and 5/3. I take it they're 8 or 10 hour shifts, though? Is that at the university you're doing that?
Does anyone know if when you get a starting date you have to take other tests before starting ? How does it go ?
Reply 62
Original post by Ness1708
Does anyone know if when you get a starting date you have to take other tests before starting ? How does it go ?

I’m also on dc route got a call today saying I’ve been offered the job but can’t start until at least summer 2023 and that’s not even confirmed. Instead I can do the pc route with fast track so a 3 yr placement where you do 2 yes uniform get the qualification and can move onto dc route. They said they can’t be exact on a start date if I want to stay on dc route and their is others ahead of me already in the queue
Original post by Newdc1
I’m also on dc route got a call today saying I’ve been offered the job but can’t start until at least summer 2023 and that’s not even confirmed. Instead I can do the pc route with fast track so a 3 yr placement where you do 2 yes uniform get the qualification and can move onto dc route. They said they can’t be exact on a start date if I want to stay on dc route and their is others ahead of me already in the queue

When did you originally apply and finish pre employment checks ?
Reply 64
Hi everyone ! I just received an email saying they are full until end of March 2023 and future starting dates would be to start from SUMMER 2023. But in that case the results of my assessments will have expired by then. Does anyone know, maybe from past threads, if we have to resit all exams in a scenario where it’s not our fault we can’t start in time ? I just find it unfair to have to have to resist them all just because positions are full …

The medical last for a year and vetting is valid for 6 months. You don’t need to do anything again in terms of exams/ interviews etc but if vetting lapses you just need to fill in a form to confirm if anything has changed since last vetting. I asked them when they called to let me know they haven’t got spaces as yet
Reply 65
Original post by aurora2023
When did you originally apply and finish pre employment checks ?

April 22 but as I somehow got on to pc route instead of the dc route I didn’t know until oct 22 when I attended day 2 assessment so had to reapply and do it again in oct 2022. From day 2 roughly 4 weeks for all pre check to complete all depends on how much they need to check
Original post by Newdc1
April 22 but as I somehow got on to pc route instead of the dc route I didn’t know until oct 22 when I attended day 2 assessment so had to reapply and do it again in oct 2022. From day 2 roughly 4 weeks for all pre check to complete all depends on how much they need to check

Maybe ask if they have any spaces for March intake ? I’ve applied in august 22 and emailed them to ask if they have any spaces available for March intake . I’ve got given a start date few days ago
Reply 67
Maybe ask if they have any spaces for March intake ? I’ve applied in august 22 and emailed them to ask if they have any spaces available for March intake . I’ve got given a start date few days ago

They told me that if I want to start in March I’d be transferring to the pc DHEP route and in year 3 of service would go onto dc route for a yr. is that what you opted for or did they have space on the dc route. The person who I spoke with said the dc pathway is over subscribed so the intake is being pushed back till summer and even then can’t confirm a space until nearer the time
Original post by Newdc1
They told me that if I want to start in March I’d be transferring to the pc DHEP route and in year 3 of service would go onto dc route for a yr. is that what you opted for or did they have space on the dc route. The person who I spoke with said the dc pathway is over subscribed so the intake is being pushed back till summer and even then can’t confirm a space until nearer the time

They’ve offered me the DC pathway I’m assuming someone dropped out because just few weeks prior to that they told me they didn’t have any space until summer and only offered me the pc route too
Reply 69
They’ve offered me the DC pathway I’m assuming someone dropped out because just few weeks prior to that they told me they didn’t have any space until summer and only offered me the pc route too

Yes you might of got lucky then. They told me that summer will be the next intake and there is a queue of applicants so they work in order depends how many people opt to go down the pc route instead of waiting really
Hi guys ! Does anyone know what the DC uniform is exactly ?
Also, are there really only 4 universities possible ? They are all so far from me
Hi,

I received an email from the College of Policing. It says that I have passed my online assessment for DC. However, I have not heard anything back from Met yet. I am wondering what the next step is. Do I have to contact Met or wait for them to let me know about the next step?

The feedback also says, "If you have met the national standard, this means that you have been successful...however, this does not necessarily guarantee a post within the force to which you are applying." I am glad I passed the assessment, as I thought I messed up. Does anyone know what the success rate is in the next stage/s of assessment?

Thanks
Hey All. Am thinking of applying this year in May when it reopens, Would you reccomend it, or is it a lot of hassle for no actual job offer? Anybody that has done it, would you recommend it?
Reply 74

They normally let you know 2 weeks prior to starting the uni you get and Bcu etc. the 4 unis available are the only ones I think work with met to provide the police course and I think they normally do it based on Bcu

A Metvest and a kit belt.

Unofficially, I have yet to see a TDC on street duties who wasn't wearing a black hoodie, and either black trackies or leggings.
Original post by Trinculo
A Metvest and a kit belt.

Unofficially, I have yet to see a TDC on street duties who wasn't wearing a black hoodie, and either black trackies or leggings.

Thank you ! If you are already in, could you please tell me what the Uni schedule is like please ? Is it normal ( office I guess) hours/days or else ?
Thank you ! If you are already in, could you please tell me what the Uni schedule is like please ? Is it normal ( office I guess) hours/days or else ?

I didn’t do the university course, I’m afraid. If you read back in this thread and similar ones I’m pretty sure you’ll find the answers you’re looking for with respect to times - and the initial phases (non-borough) have always been Monday to Friday.
Hi again everyone !

Could anyone tell me what the progression is from Detective constable ( sergeant etc .. )

I don’t seem to be able to find online
Hi again everyone !

Could anyone tell me what the progression is from Detective constable ( sergeant etc .. )

I don’t seem to be able to find online

The police rank structure goes:

Constable -> Sergeant -> Inspector -> Chief Inspector -> Superintendent - then a lot of very high ranks.

This, however isn't really a reflection of "progression" as such - only of attaining higher ranks.

In the police, constables "do" things. They take statements, arrest people, investigate crimes and so on. Sergeants sometimes do those things, but are mostly supervisors and line managers. They supervise the work of constables (detectives), supervise their crime reports and casefiles, dish out work and also do some limited HR type functions.

Inspectors and Chief Inspectors are almost exclsively middle managers who supervise teams and do things like resource management and dealing with slightly bigger picture issues. For detectives they might head up a team or squad and lead a more important investigation -but in a supervisory function rather than hands on. You do not ordinarily get inspectors carrying out interviews or arresting people.

For a lot of cops, progression means becoming more skilled and experienced and moving on to do the kind of work they want to do. For detectives this might mean getting special interview courses or learning to drive fast cars. A lot of people have ambitions in terms of the type of unit they want to go to. In the short term to medium term, you hear a lot of DCs wanting to go to places like Sapphire or Robbery. In the longer term, a lot of DCs have always wanted to do MIT (murders) and the Flying Squad was traditionally seen as where the best detectives went. This is largely completely separate from promotion, and in many cases incompatible with it. A lot of people want to do the cool police work, not be managers to the people who do it.

There is one exception to this, which doesn't actually count for DCs - and that is public order, where you do get inspectors directly on the ground, still supervising, but often performing a more direct role. Sergeants perform key public order roles, leading serials on the ground.

Money wise, you reach top of scale for a constable in your 7th year. A sergeant earns slightly more than a top-rate constable, and inspectors etc proportionately more. One thing to be aware of is that after sergeant, you don't get OT pay - so you will find that people can earn a lot of extra money as constables and sergeants, but what you get as an inspector is all you'll ever get once you've progressed to the top of that scale.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending