The Student Room Group

Feeling like im not revising enough

Anyone else feeling like theyre not doing enough when they probably are?

I'm doing about 7 hours every day and I dont think I could do more but when I think about it, im sleeping for 8 hours, studying for 7 hours, where have the other 9 hours gone?
because I feel like all I do is revise I just wake up and revise and go to sleep :frown:

Thats all, anyone else?
Original post by ayapapaya

I'm doing about 7 hours every day and I dont think I could do more but when I think about it, im sleeping for 8 hours, studying for 7 hours, where have the other 9 hours gone?
because I feel like all I do is revise I just wake up and revise and go to sleep :frown:

Thats all, anyone else?

This is literally me but I’m just thinking about it in a way where I’m not overworking myself to a point of burning out because that wouldnt be helpful so i think taking breaks and not spending every minute on revision will be more beneficial than working yourself to death

Thats all, anyone else?

You currently think you are going about revision in the wrong way, but it is not in the wrong way you would expect. I beg you to watch this video so you don't fall into the same trap I, and many other people fall into all the time. Don't fall for it please. 7 hours is too much, don't even think about you not doing enough, you are. Personally I recommend reducing this, and then looking into how to spend the time more efficiently. It takes time to figure this out and a lot of self awareness but I promise you it is better then slowly being killed by the amount of time you put in. Remember to assign a few afternoons a week where you do something other then study, do something for you, for your own relaxation, this is a human necessity. Lack of doing something for yourself will destroy the effects of study and makes the 7 hours turn into only 20mins worth.

If you struggle to find time to do stuff for you, get into a routine, eg I will do X eg exercise every Wednesdays at Y time
Scrap any revision timetable if necessary, just have a timetable for the time in which you are doing stuff for you, and don't let anything ever eat into this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL08YZCYShc
(edited 1 year ago)
Bloody ell, you think 7 hours of revision a day isn’t enough?
Reply 4
Original post by nopey123
You currently think you are going about revision in the wrong way, but it is not in the wrong way you would expect. I beg you to watch this video so you don't fall into the same trap I, and many other people fall into all the time. Don't fall for it please. 7 hours is too much, don't even think about you not doing enough, you are. Personally I recommend reducing this, and then looking into how to spend the time more efficiently. It takes time to figure this out and a lot of self awareness but I promise you it is better then slowly being killed by the amount of time you put in. Remember to assign a few afternoons a week where you do something other then study, do something for you, for your own relaxation, this is a human necessity. Lack of doing something for yourself will destroy the effects of study and makes the 7 hours turn into only 20mins worth.

If you struggle to find time to do stuff for you, get into a routine, eg I will do X eg exercise every Wednesdays at Y time
Scrap any revision timetable if necessary, just have a timetable for the time in which you are doing stuff for you, and don't let anything ever eat into this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL08YZCYShc

I know its too much and probably its not the right way, but at this point theres just not enough time until my exams to relax :/
It's not the quantity of time - it's what you're doing with the time. Are you varying the subjects & revision techniques? Are you taking breaks? Are you having a walk at lunchtime? Are you eating and keeping hydrated?
I know its too much and probably its not the right way, but at this point theres just not enough time until my exams to relax :/

There isn't time because you aren't scheduling time for yourself!!!!!!
how have you revised so far, for example I have been doing about 6 hours per day with a past paper per day, reviewing it, working on weaknesses and filling gaps in content. Also remember you will never feel 100% ready for your exam, there will always be that one point you can't remember etc. but you don't need 100% for a top grade so just focus on doing as much as you can to control the outcome as best as you can. Also providing you hours are productive, 7 hours is more than I would say 90% of students do for exams so your fine
Reply 8
Personally I think you have the right attitude- imo should know when you get your exam results that you’ve worked as hard as possibly could have.

7 hours is a decent amount to be doing but I would look to increase this to 9-10 hours a day for the last few weeks. Imo working hard and smart is the right approach.

Thats all, anyone else?

Yep that's also me, I revise every day and I feel like i know nothing and worry about failing even though my teachers have predicted that I will pass my GCSEs

Quick Reply

Latest