The Student Room Group

Is it possible to pass my driving test in 6 weeks?

Hello,

I know this sounds completely absurd! This thread may also get a little chaotic - I apologise in advance.

I’ve been trying to learn to drive for quite some time now. My first instructor (taught me for 8 lessons between June and October) wouldn’t let me out of first gear. After taking my theory test in January, I then found a different instructor and progressed a lot faster. Within 4 lessons, he was letting me drive at 40 miles an hour and do mini roundabouts. This was back in April. However, after this my instructor just stopped showing up to the lessons I had booked with him. I’ve been trying to find a new instructor for 2 months now without much success - all are too busy to take on a new client.

I actually want to cancel my driving test - it feels irresponsible for me to be taking it, given how underprepared I am. However, my parents (who have paid for the test) will not let me cancel as they think it will be a good “experience” for me. I’ve now bought myself a car to practice in with my parents and will have the time to fully commit myself to learning to drive over the next few weeks.

To add to this, my old instructor messaged me today to say that he has been absent because he was on holiday (for 2 months). As he’s the only instructor I could get, I’m starting lessons with him back this week. I don’t really trust him not to ghost me again though.

So, on that note… if I committed myself to learning to drive over the next few weeks, is passing in 6 weeks doable? Honestly, I’m under no illusions and I’m not expecting to do it but I’m being forced to sit this test.

Thanks!
If you can commit to around 6-7 hours worth of lessons per week for the next 6 weeks, then yeah it's possible.
If you're only driving an hour a week, no.
Original post by summerhaze
Hello,

I know this sounds completely absurd! This thread may also get a little chaotic - I apologise in advance.

I’ve been trying to learn to drive for quite some time now. My first instructor (taught me for 8 lessons between June and October) wouldn’t let me out of first gear. After taking my theory test in January, I then found a different instructor and progressed a lot faster. Within 4 lessons, he was letting me drive at 40 miles an hour and do mini roundabouts. This was back in April. However, after this my instructor just stopped showing up to the lessons I had booked with him. I’ve been trying to find a new instructor for 2 months now without much success - all are too busy to take on a new client.

I actually want to cancel my driving test - it feels irresponsible for me to be taking it, given how underprepared I am. However, my parents (who have paid for the test) will not let me cancel as they think it will be a good “experience” for me. I’ve now bought myself a car to practice in with my parents and will have the time to fully commit myself to learning to drive over the next few weeks.

To add to this, my old instructor messaged me today to say that he has been absent because he was on holiday (for 2 months). As he’s the only instructor I could get, I’m starting lessons with him back this week. I don’t really trust him not to ghost me again though.

So, on that note… if I committed myself to learning to drive over the next few weeks, is passing in 6 weeks doable? Honestly, I’m under no illusions and I’m not expecting to do it but I’m being forced to sit this test.

Thanks!

Hi there.

PRSOM @PinkMobilePhone.

You can cancel you're test and get a full refund if cancelled 3 working days before the test date. It depends on how confident you feel before your test date and how many lessons you're planning to do with your instructor. @Driving_Mad may be able to provide further advice. :smile:

Best wishes. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

PRSOM @PinkMobilePhone.

You can cancel you're test and get a full refund if cancelled 3 working days before the test date. It depends on how confident you feel before your test date and how many lessons you're planning to do with your instructor. @Driving_Mad may be able to provide further advice. :smile:

Best wishes. :smile:

Thank you so much! I am aware that I can cancel closer to the time, but my parents have made it clear that cancelling won’t be an option. They want me to sit the test as it will be a “valuable experience” and there’s a possibility I could pass, even if this probability is less than 0.01!
Reply 4
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
If you can commit to around 6-7 hours worth of lessons per week for the next 6 weeks, then yeah it's possible.
If you're only driving an hour a week, no.

Interesting! I probably couldn’t commit to 6 or 7 lessons, but definitely 2 or more a week with the instructor (if he shows) and then a lot of time with my parents taking me out.
Hello,

Thanks!

Unless it ain’t twice a week it’s a huge gamble, and a risk not worth taking what of the syllabus have you got left to do? Have you been doing sample test routes, sat-nav driving, manoeuvres, practicing show me tell me q&a’s?
Reply 6
Original post by Mohammed_80
Unless it ain’t twice a week it’s a huge gamble, and a risk not worth taking what of the syllabus have you got left to do? Have you been doing sample test routes, sat-nav driving, manoeuvres, practicing show me tell me q&a’s?

I have barely done anything - 40 miles an hour, 4th gear, main roads and mini roundabouts. I haven’t done anything to do with reversing or parking (apart from literally pulling up next to a kerb). No test routes, no manoeuvres and only some show-me tell-me with my dad. It’s a gamble I don’t want to take, but my parents are the ones that have paid for my test and my lessons (although I’ve paid for my car, it’s tax and insurance).
I have barely done anything - 40 miles an hour, 4th gear, main roads and mini roundabouts. I haven’t done anything to do with reversing or parking (apart from literally pulling up next to a kerb). No test routes, no manoeuvres and only some show-me tell-me with my dad. It’s a gamble I don’t want to take, but my parents are the ones that have paid for my test and my lessons (although I’ve paid for my car, it’s tax and insurance).

Don’t do it, do what’s best for you and hide your time covering the syllabus, practicing test routes, sat-nav driving and covering the manoeuvres if I were you I would reschedule the test and move it forwards towards a later date. In all honesty I wish in your first attempt you aced and passed with flying colours but having you just told me 40mph hour roundabouts I’m not even sure if you done T-Junctions. I don’t personally think your test ready.
Interesting! I probably couldn’t commit to 6 or 7 lessons, but definitely 2 or more a week with the instructor (if he shows) and then a lot of time with my parents taking me out.

If your parents can actively teach you, and teach you well (remember your parents are not driving instructors [well I assume they're not], so they are likely to have some bad habits themselves), so that you're actively learning for approximately 40 hours before your test, then go for it.

If you're a fast study, then 30 hours of decent lessons minimum before your test.

You really can't take a test on 12-20 hours though. It's just not enough.
Hello,

Thanks!

Do you mind me asking why your parents are so adamant that you take this test and not push it back? Is it because they don't want to pay for too many lessons or is it more of a 'just see how it goes' attitude? I would have a few lessons with your instructor and ask him his opinion (you could even get him to feed this back to your parents lol). He should be able to tell you whether its doable, how many lessons you will need to get you to test standard and whether you should push it back or not. I wouldn't cancel it though - tests are very hard to get at the moment and you don't want to risk having to wait until next year for another. An auto booker can help to push it back by however much you need if that's the case.
Original post by Wiggle26
Do you mind me asking why your parents are so adamant that you take this test and not push it back? Is it because they don't want to pay for too many lessons or is it more of a 'just see how it goes' attitude? I would have a few lessons with your instructor and ask him his opinion (you could even get him to feed this back to your parents lol). He should be able to tell you whether its doable, how many lessons you will need to get you to test standard and whether you should push it back or not. I wouldn't cancel it though - tests are very hard to get at the moment and you don't want to risk having to wait until next year for another. An auto booker can help to push it back by however much you need if that's the case.

I think it’s partly the just see how it goes attitude, but also that they are pretty desperate for me to pass! Three family members have unexpectedly fallen seriously unwell in the last year, and although all are now on the road to recovery, two still need a lot of assistance and one will need long-term care. For my parents, me driving would mean that I could help these family members more and help with appointments and everything. They see it as an alleviation of stress.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
If your parents can actively teach you, and teach you well (remember your parents are not driving instructors [well I assume they're not], so they are likely to have some bad habits themselves), so that you're actively learning for approximately 40 hours before your test, then go for it.

If you're a fast study, then 30 hours of decent lessons minimum before your test.

You really can't take a test on 12-20 hours though. It's just not enough.

Yes! Although my dad does drive professionally for a living, I wouldn’t call him a good teacher… he’s part of the issue though! He passed his test after 10 lessons, and my family seem to believe that I’ll be the same. I, very much, am not.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Don’t do it, do what’s best for you and hide your time covering the syllabus, practicing test routes, sat-nav driving and covering the manoeuvres if I were you I would reschedule the test and move it forwards towards a later date. In all honesty I wish in your first attempt you aced and passed with flying colours but having you just told me 40mph hour roundabouts I’m not even sure if you done T-Junctions. I don’t personally think your test ready.

Ah, I have done T-junctions. That’s literally it. I’ve asked my instructor about it though and he’s said “well, you might pass”. Um, not even covered half the syllabus yet? I actually didn’t even know there was a syllabus until you’d told me.
Ah, I have done T-junctions. That’s literally it. I’ve asked my instructor about it though and he’s said “well, you might pass”. Um, not even covered half the syllabus yet? I actually didn’t even know there was a syllabus until you’d told me.

It’s literally everything you need to know to be test ready I guess you haven’t driven in dual carriageway either?
Yes! Although my dad does drive professionally for a living, I wouldn’t call him a good teacher… he’s part of the issue though! He passed his test after 10 lessons, and my family seem to believe that I’ll be the same. I, very much, am not.

I respect the fact that sir must have passed within 10 lessons but we pick up and learn things at different rates, at times there’s confusion, forgetting something, it’s always reassuring going over things again until you make practice makes perfect!
I think it’s partly the just see how it goes attitude, but also that they are pretty desperate for me to pass! Three family members have unexpectedly fallen seriously unwell in the last year, and although all are now on the road to recovery, two still need a lot of assistance and one will need long-term care. For my parents, me driving would mean that I could help these family members more and help with appointments and everything. They see it as an alleviation of stress.

I am so sorry to hear that - it must be a really hard time for you and your family. I think it might be doable if you ask your parents if you can drive everywhere - to the shops, to restaurants, on your way to see friends etc as well as lots of drives just for practice especially around test routes. and make sure you have a lot of lessons and mock tests if money allows. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself though
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey,

I think it’s doable if you can commit to practicing, the recommended practice is 40 hours (correct me I’m wrong) The most important thing is to know all your manoeuvres and your awareness on the road!
As my instructor always says, driving isn’t hard, but passing the practical is.
The fact that you’ve got a car is amazing, try to get as much practice as you can with your family. Try not to pick up any bad habits and get some feedback too!
Look on the gov.com website, I found a new instructor by looking up my postcode, you might have to ring a few but I’m sure you’ll find someone, as those who have learners pass, probably have some availability.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending