The Student Room Group

Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi,

I have a question about work experience, since everyone here seems to have lots. Do universities accept only healthcare volunteering or social work too? I live remotely without a car. Despite me trying to get into HCA position and applying on regular basis seems like all the positions at commutable hospitals seem to be filled fairly quickly by med students from my uni. Experience I have so far:

- one week surgery shadowing

- online GP experience

- one day experience in cardiac surg ward

- one year medical research experience - cooperation with doctors from the hospital

- active in First Aid field (similar to St Johns Ambulance) and organising first aid courses, but this is from 4 years ago

- volunteering on Ukrainian border (this is social not healthcare)

- working AND volunteering with asylum seekers for half a year (also social work)

- lots of other social work volunteering

Do you think I stand a chance in securing an interview? I have soo many reflections and aspects to talk about, but the work experience form is not going to be impressive compared to HCAs with years of experience. For now, thinking of applying to Oxbridge, ScotGEM and St. George's.

Thanks
Original post by nata3211
Hi,

I have a question about work experience, since everyone here seems to have lots. Do universities accept only healthcare volunteering or social work too? I live remotely without a car. Despite me trying to get into HCA position and applying on regular basis seems like all the positions at commutable hospitals seem to be filled fairly quickly by med students from my uni. Experience I have so far:

- one week surgery shadowing

- online GP experience

- one day experience in cardiac surg ward

- one year medical research experience - cooperation with doctors from the hospital

- active in First Aid field (similar to St Johns Ambulance) and organising first aid courses, but this is from 4 years ago

- volunteering on Ukrainian border (this is social not healthcare)

- working AND volunteering with asylum seekers for half a year (also social work)

- lots of other social work volunteering

Do you think I stand a chance in securing an interview? I have soo many reflections and aspects to talk about, but the work experience form is not going to be impressive compared to HCAs with years of experience. For now, thinking of applying to Oxbridge, ScotGEM and St. George's.

Thanks

Most universities will specify exactly what kind of work experience they require you to have in their application guidelines. Some universities such as Warwick will require you to have a certain number of hours in healthcare-related work experience, signed off by the person supervising you. You should carefully check each of the application pages for the universities you want to apply for, and email them if necessary. Most people I know who applied and got into graduate medicine worked in a healthcare position for some time before applying as well as or rather than doing placements, which I think is valued by the courses because it gives you insight into the working life of a healthcare professional. I'd say that you should check first, but if you're really sure you want to apply for grad med, more is better, so maybe it would be worth you looking at work further afield or in another area such as general practice or adult social care.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 42
Original post by rezanegarestani
Most universities will specify exactly what kind of work experience they require you to have in their application guidelines. Some universities such as Warwick will require you to have a certain number of hours in healthcare-related work experience, signed off by the person supervising you. You should carefully check each of the application pages for the universities you want to apply for, and email them if necessary. Most people I know who applied and got into graduate medicine worked in a healthcare position for some time before applying as well as or rather than doing placements, which I think is valued by the courses because it gives you insight into the working life of a healthcare professional. I'd say that you should check first, but if you're really sure you want to apply for grad med, more is better, so maybe it would be worth you looking at work further afield or in another area such as general practice or adult social care.

Yes, so I have obv gone through those guidelines and in most cases they do not specify directly how many days/hours. They say a good insight is required. But I was thinking if having this would give me a chance.
I am planning to work as HCA in my gap year, however this is after application deadline, therefore does not count.
For some other reasons - family/friends/other experiences I believe to have a knowledge of how different aspects of the work look like, none of which I could formally count as work experience. Therefore was just thinking of how the uni perspective and the length (shortness) of my list on work experience form.
Thanks!
Hey everyone!! I'm going to be applying for grad entry med and undergrad med for 2025 entry. I'm currently completing my biomedical science degree and about to enter second year in October.

I also had a question about work experience/volunteering and just wanted to know if I had enough and if there was more I needed to do to prepare for my application for next year. I've currently done:

- 2 month volunteering programme this summer at local hospital - 3-4 times a week every week (helping out on wards, talking to patients, helping ward staff and nurses with meals, coordinating activities to do with patients with the nurses)
- 2 days work experience at local GP (went on home visits and care home ward rounds)
- 3 days work experience at local hospital pharmacy (went on ward rounds with pharmacists)
- volunteer regularly with my dance company when I'm back from uni and teach dance classes
- online surgical work experience

Any advice would be much much appreciated about what else I could possibly do in order to strengthen my application. Thank you so much!!
Reply 44
Does anyone have any of the des O’Neill books. Wanting to do GAMSAT to prepare for grad entry med. Thank you for your time x:smile:
Original post by ariloves2080
Hey everyone!! I'm going to be applying for grad entry med and undergrad med for 2025 entry. I'm currently completing my biomedical science degree and about to enter second year in October.

I also had a question about work experience/volunteering and just wanted to know if I had enough and if there was more I needed to do to prepare for my application for next year. I've currently done:

- 2 month volunteering programme this summer at local hospital - 3-4 times a week every week (helping out on wards, talking to patients, helping ward staff and nurses with meals, coordinating activities to do with patients with the nurses)
- 2 days work experience at local GP (went on home visits and care home ward rounds)
- 3 days work experience at local hospital pharmacy (went on ward rounds with pharmacists)
- volunteer regularly with my dance company when I'm back from uni and teach dance classes
- online surgical work experience

Any advice would be much much appreciated about what else I could possibly do in order to strengthen my application. Thank you so much!!

Hello! From what I understand from the research I've been doing so far, what seems to be most important is that the experience involves patient care. So this would be actual contact with patients, such as giving personal care (hygiene, dressings, meal assistance etc.). Everything else is certainly valuable, but I would say to focus on voluntary or paid experiences that will take place in a care setting and involve real contact and care of patients.
That said, each university will specify if they have particular requirements - some go into more detail than others but it is worth reading this very carefully.
Hi, I was just wandering if it would be possible to get into GEM with a BN (hons) Children Nursing degree? and if so, how can I make my application as competitive as possible?

Just a note: I am going into nursing with 1 a level in sociology and a level 3 btec nat diploma in applied sciences .

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 47
Hi!

I'm a second year Psychology student and recently come to the realisation that I want to pursue Medicine.

I will have no choice but to apply for Graduate Entry Medicine as I have no A-Levels in the Sciences.
Due to this I am very concerned about my probability of receiving a place.

Being a doctor has never been an aspiration of mine, however, in the past year, volunteering at my local hospital and other factors have led to this becoming an intense ambition.
I'd appreciate any guidance that anyone has for me!
Original post by Sayber
Hi!

I'm a second year Psychology student and recently come to the realisation that I want to pursue Medicine.

I will have no choice but to apply for Graduate Entry Medicine as I have no A-Levels in the Sciences.
Due to this I am very concerned about my probability of receiving a place.

Being a doctor has never been an aspiration of mine, however, in the past year, volunteering at my local hospital and other factors have led to this becoming an intense ambition.
I'd appreciate any guidance that anyone has for me!

Hi there,

GEM is very much incredibly competitive, but that shouldn't put you off applying. As long as you meet the eligibility criteria of the universities, you'll stand a fighting chance.

GEM entry requirements are very varied. Just about the only standardised entry requirement is getting at least a 2:1 in your first degree. Some universities will want that degree to be from a specific list of degrees they approve, some won't care about your degree, some universities might ask you for certain A-level requirements depending on what your first degree was, some universities will ask for A-level requirements outright, some won't, some universities will want you to take the UCAT and others will want to take you the GAMSAT as an admissions test... the point is, there are a lot of entry requirements. You won't meet the entry requirements for a lot of these programmes, but you will for some, so you need to figure out where exactly you can apply and apply to those places.

Your work experience at a hospital is wonderful, keep doing it and try to do other things. Also keep a journal of what you saw on the hospital and reflect. If your university has a medical school, take advantage of that by joining their medical societies and finding someone who will gladly sneak you into a Medicine lecture so you have a better idea of what studying Medicine is like. Inform your personal tutor at your university asap about your intentions of applying to do Medicine. Continue reading into Medicine if you haven't done so already and keep up to date with the news.

Don't forsake your current degree - you really want to be acing it and get at the very least a 2:1, if not a 1st - the sad truth is that the majority of GEM applicants are unsuccessful the first time they apply, so getting a 1st will be better for you if you need to reapply.

And if I were you (heh, which I basically am, I'm also a psychology student wishing to do GEM), I'd also stalk the 2024 entry GEM thread for now to see the latest developments and see what people have done for their applications. Wish you the best of luck
Reply 49
Thank you so much for your reply! You have given me some great tips :smile:

I wish you best too~~ we can do it!!
Reply 50
Hey, I'm currently a 2nd year Biomedical sciences student (studying in Scotland so undergrad is 4 years). Students on similar courses (neuroscience, biology, etc.) do all the same modules up until the end of 2nd year. I was wondering that if I switched to anatomy at the end of 2nd year as we are all given the option to, would this hinder my future application to GEM? Or do unis not really care what kind of degree you have as long as it's a science degree?
Original post by jxr16
Hey, I'm currently a 2nd year Biomedical sciences student (studying in Scotland so undergrad is 4 years). Students on similar courses (neuroscience, biology, etc.) do all the same modules up until the end of 2nd year. I was wondering that if I switched to anatomy at the end of 2nd year as we are all given the option to, would this hinder my future application to GEM? Or do unis not really care what kind of degree you have as long as it's a science degree?

I don’t think so - it’s the same for me where I am for uni (I’m 3rd year though). I was enrolled on Biomedical Sciences - the courses under the faculty of biomedical sciences all get taught the same modules until 2nd yr second semester. I ended up switching from BMS to Physiology because I much preferred the course modules and structure. Every uni I am aiming to apply for accepts it as a degree - you may have to check on each of the unis entry requirements to be 100% sure.
Original post by TSR George
Welcome to the GEM 2025 entry thread.

Other useful threads
Medical Schools Index 2025 entry (for specific med school entry discussions): (not made yet)
Undergrad Medicine 2025 entry discussion: (not made yet)
UCAT 2025 entry discussion: (not made yet)
BMAT 2025 entry discussion: (not made yet)
GAMSAT 2025 / 2026 entry discussion: (not made yet)

Previous GEM threads
GEM 2024: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7126853
GEM 2023: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6655172
GEM 2022: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6100344
GEM 2021: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5332212
GEM 2020: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4894790
GEM 2019: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4678924

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, mention or advertise group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.

Hi guys,

Please, I have never asked for any advice on here because I was scared of having negative or unkind replies. Please, I ask you to be nice regarding my situation.

I am currently studying biomedical science and in my second year. I am looking to apply for graduate medicine in 2024 for entry in 2025. I have just gone through this entire thread today and got worried. I got worried because so many people mentioned A-level grades in consideration of their chances of getting into GEM. I, too, did worry about this, but after looking through all the university's entry requirements, only a few mentioned A-levels.

Now, I worry because my A-levels aren't excellent at all. I am actually embarrassed to put them here. I got average GCSEs with 8s in science; the rest were average. I moved to different institutions for A-levels, meaning I had to repeat year 12. During this period, I was going through a lot. Then, for my A-level predictions (we didn't do the exam due to COVID-19), the teachers based their predictions on past exam papers and not the grades I was achieving from the regular internal exams they had. I studied the holy trio of biology, chemistry and mathematics. My predicted grades were C, D and E. Yes, those are my grades on my August results page.

At this point, you might even cover your mouth with your hand and gasp. I know my whole record seems dodgy, and any reason I may have for my A-levels won't be admissible as I have no proof of my mental state then. However, during those periods, I had a lot of work experience and volunteering (3 years in total).

I am in my 2nd year of university, but I have taken an applied/ foundation year, so technically, I have been in the university for three years and have one more year left. During these three years, I have volunteered for this application, and now I am looking to get more work experience this year 2024.

I really do need honest advice and realistic pathways I can take. Please, I know that maybe my case is a lost cause, so I only ask that you reply with advice on how to strengthen my application. I have always wanted to do medicine, and I would like to and will try to apply this year.

If there is any website that offers free work experience online, please let me know.

Also, does anyone know how the financing will work in this case, as I have already taken out 4 years of the loan (which I think is the max)?

Please I am really feeling disheartened, any uplifting advice or any anecdotes of how anyone went through this situation would be really nice to hear. Thank you so much for taking the time to hear me out.
Original post by wanderingweeping
I am currently studying biomedical science and in my second year. I am looking to apply for graduate medicine in 2024 for entry in 2025. I have just gone through this entire thread today and got worried. I got worried because so many people mentioned A-level grades in consideration of their chances of getting into GEM. I, too, did worry about this, but after looking through all the university's entry requirements, only a few mentioned A-levels.

Now, I worry because my A-levels aren't excellent at all. I am actually embarrassed to put them here. I got average GCSEs with 8s in science; the rest were average. I moved to different institutions for A-levels, meaning I had to repeat year 12. During this period, I was going through a lot. Then, for my A-level predictions (we didn't do the exam due to COVID-19), the teachers based their predictions on past exam papers and not the grades I was achieving from the regular internal exams they had. I studied the holy trio of biology, chemistry and mathematics. My predicted grades were C, D and E. Yes, those are my grades on my August results page.

At this point, you might even cover your mouth with your hand and gasp. I know my whole record seems dodgy, and any reason I may have for my A-levels won't be admissible as I have no proof of my mental state then. However, during those periods, I had a lot of work experience and volunteering (3 years in total).

I am in my 2nd year of university, but I have taken an applied/ foundation year, so technically, I have been in the university for three years and have one more year left. During these three years, I have volunteered for this application, and now I am looking to get more work experience this year 2024.

I really do need honest advice and realistic pathways I can take. Please, I know that maybe my case is a lost cause, so I only ask that you reply with advice on how to strengthen my application. I have always wanted to do medicine, and I would like to and will try to apply this year.

If there is any website that offers free work experience online, please let me know.

Also, does anyone know how the financing will work in this case, as I have already taken out 4 years of the loan (which I think is the max)?

Please I am really feeling disheartened, any uplifting advice or any anecdotes of how anyone went through this situation would be really nice to hear. Thank you so much for taking the time to hear me out.

Hello, not all med schools look at A Levels for GEM but lots do. You need to be very careful with where you apply to. Look at all of the med schools who do not consider A Levels, read carefully all of their other entry requirements. You say you have a lot of work experience and volunteering, so getting loads more isn't going to be the most resourceful use of your time. Better chance would probably be to make sure you get as high a degree classification as you can as some med schools will place important on that. Do your own research on what each of the med schools you are capable of applying to want and make sure you are meeting or exceeding some of the other ones. There are options out there, you could make a decent application but just remember that this is extremely competitive. If you are rejected from a med school that has no A Level entry requirements, it won't be a rejection because your A Levels weren't good enough, it'll be a rejection because something else wasn't up to the standard of the rest of the field.

Hope this is useful to you
Original post by wanderingweeping
Hi guys,
Please, I have never asked for any advice on here because I was scared of having negative or unkind replies. Please, I ask you to be nice regarding my situation.

Hello! Definitely look at the different entry requirements. I have no science A-Levels yet, and I'm currently studying Biology and Chemistry part-time. Only two of my preferred universities ask for A levels - one needs you to have a B in Biology and in a second science subject, and the other one doesn't care as long as it's a B and you did the exam within the last two years.
With a science degree you will have lots of options for Graduate Entry Medicine - many of them don't have A-Level requirements.

It sounds as though you have plenty of work experience but Brighton and Sussex do an online work experience course - check this out as some universities accept it towards your work experience.

[Edit] With regards to your funding question, Graduate Entry is funded differently as they realise you will have already used your entitlement to Undergraduate Student Finance. Information about the funding online can be a bit opaque, but usually need to fund £3,465 of the first year fees and get loans for the rest. Then for years 2-4 you get some NHS bursary and can make up the rest with loans.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hiya all!
I’m hoping to sit the Gamsat in September 2024. Is anyone London based that would like to study together?
Original post by AngharadMair31
Hiya all!
I’m hoping to sit the Gamsat in September 2024. Is anyone London based that would like to study together?
Heya! I’m sitting GAMSAT this Friday but fully expecting to flunk and do it again in September 😄 I sometimes commute into London so would be interested in a study group - it’s so tough trying to study alone all the time! What were you thinking?
Original post by SpoonWavelength
Heya! I’m sitting GAMSAT this Friday but fully expecting to flunk and do it again in September 😄 I sometimes commute into London so would be interested in a study group - it’s so tough trying to study alone all the time! What were you thinking?

Wehey, a fellow prospective GAMSAT flunker. Also sitting the GAMSAT this Friday. I live and work in London so if anyone is about and wants to study that would be cool.
Original post by hapax_legomenon
Wehey, a fellow prospective GAMSAT flunker. Also sitting the GAMSAT this Friday. I live and work in London so if anyone is about and wants to study that would be cool.

I’m sure you’ll both smash it!! Good luck!!

Not that you’ll need it but I’ll deffo be up for revising together/ for support! I am struggling by myself lol

Let me know I’ll try and set something up :smile:
Original post by SpoonWavelength

You’ll do great!! Good luck!

Not that you’ll need it but I’d love to study together/ form a group! I am struuuuggggling by myself lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending