Watch
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Welcome to the GEM 2023 entry thread.

Other useful threads
Medical Schools Index 2023 entry (for specific med school entry discussions): (not made yet)
Undergrad Medicine 2023 entry discussion: (not made yet)
UCAT 2023 entry discussion: (not made yet)
BMAT 2023 entry discussion: (not made yet)
GAMSAT 2023 entry discussion: (not made yet)

Previous GEM threads
GEM 2022: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6100344:
GEM 2021: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5332212
GEM 2020: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4894790
GEM 2019: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4678924

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 4 weeks ago
Colette Maria
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello! I'm planning on applying to study graduate entry medicine in 2 yrs - I'm about to start my final year of adult nursing, then I intend on working in infectious disease for 1 yr, then applying for GEM. I already know which uni's I'll be applying to, just want to make sure I can prep as thoroughly as possible for the entrance exam, so any advice is very welcome!! Thanks!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Colette Maria)
Hello! I'm planning on applying to study graduate entry medicine in 2 yrs - I'm about to start my final year of adult nursing, then I intend on working in infectious disease for 1 yr, then applying for GEM. I already know which uni's I'll be applying to, just want to make sure I can prep as thoroughly as possible for the entrance exam, so any advice is very welcome!! Thanks!
I take it you want to start in 2023 (apply in 2022)? My thread is finally in use!

For now, because you're so far ahead in advance it's probably best to just take a back seat and occasionally join the GEM 2021 and GEM 2022 discussions (see the links above). Feel free to browse the UCAT and GAMSAT forums too.
Student92928
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
I take it you want to start in 2023 (apply in 2022)? My thread is finally in use!

For now, because you're so far ahead in advance it's probably best to just take a back seat and occasionally join the GEM 2021 and GEM 2022 discussions (see the links above). Feel free to browse the UCAT and GAMSAT forums too.
I’m also in a similar position to Colette Maria, except that I study another type of AHP course. I also plan to begin GEM in September, of course, applying in October 2022. I have somewhat started preparing already – not much, just looking at the schools, sorting finances, the entrance exams, etc. etc.

I am already applicable to a fair few GEM schools already, but I am looking to perhaps enhance my application by studying A-levels to become applicable to some other GEM schools (as I never studied A-levels when I was younger). This is for a personal goal of mine, with eyes set on some of the more “prestigious” schools which of course, have more requirements; but this belief may change.

I’ve started look at A-level Chemistry, Biology, and Maths, but a little lost on the whole practical element of the sciences. These, of course, need to be completed in most cases for those more “prestigious” schools. ecolier, are you aware of any threads on here about people who are in a similar situation? Thank you for putting this thread up by the way!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Student92928)
...I’ve started look at A-level Chemistry, Biology, and Maths, but a little lost on the whole practical element of the sciences. These, of course, need to be completed in most cases for those more “prestigious” schools. ecolier, are you aware of any threads on here about people who are in a similar situation? Thank you for putting this thread up by the way!
Yes there's a GEM 2022 thread, but you really really need to know that prestige nor ranking does not matter for Medicine. Choose according to your stats, teaching style, location, student satisfaction etc. etc. but not because one is more "prestigious" or not.

If you have an idea in your head about "prestige" you may not apply sensibly thinking that they are "above" you, they are not... So make sure you research properly and not be misguided by "rankings" etc.

Remember, your medical degree is the same wherever you go - for GEM, Cambridge = Cardiff, St George's = Swansea etc. etc. There is no advantage graduating from one med school or another for specialty training competition purposes.

Oh and the GEM 2022 thread is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6100344 (it's also at the first post of this thread) :lol:
Student92928
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes there's a GEM 2022 thread, but you really really need to know that prestige nor ranking does not matter for Medicine. Choose according to your stats, teaching style, location, student satisfaction etc. etc. but not because one is more "prestigious" or not.

If you have an idea in your head about "prestige" you may not apply sensibly thinking that they are "above" you, they are not... So make sure you research properly and not be misguided by "rankings" etc.

Remember, your medical degree is the same wherever you go - for GEM, Cambridge = Cardiff, St George's = Swansea etc. etc. There is no advantage graduating from one med school or another for specialty training competition purposes.

Oh and the GEM 2022 thread is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6100344 (it's also at the first post of this thread) :lol:
Thank you for the super speedy response and all the information you have provided, I'll be sure to check out the 2022 page. You're right, I think I'm just being roped into the things that actually do not really matter. How would you suggest learning more about the teaching styles in general in GEM schools, that go beyond the information provided on their webpages?

I'm thinking about starting to look at the schools themselves in person next year (subject to COVID-19 ofc).
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
...How would you suggest learning more about the teaching styles in general in GEM schools, that go beyond the information provided on their webpages?
Just looking on The Medic Portal is usually good enough for now, there's only 2 traditional-style med schools (Oxbridge), the rest are either PBL, CBL or integrated.
Student92928
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi ecolier, are you aware of any threads that discuss sitting the A-level Chemistry w/ The Practical Element as an external candidate. Thanks again.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi ecolier, are you aware of any threads that discuss sitting the A-level Chemistry w/ The Practical Element as an external candidate. Thanks again.
No problem. Try this forum: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=130
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (0)
0%
Less motivated (1)
100%

Watched Threads