The Student Room Group

What was your first driving lesson like?

Oh my...I can't quite believe I wrote something like this. Sounds like a transcript. :facepalm2:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mine was him talking for an hour and a half about how an engine works. i was almost asleep. then he let me drive up and turn a corner. i almost ran over a horse though
I did an hour and a half of driving in my first lesson :s-smilie: My then instructor only talked for 30 mins and he told me all the clutch, etc stuff in literally ten mins.

I'd find a new instructor if I were you!
InvoluntarySlacker
So that's my first lesson, what was your lesson like? I got bored so I wrote a lil' essay :rolleyes:

Looks more like a transcript to me :p:

Mine was pretty much the same - my instructor wouldn't let me on any main roads and I doubt we went above 30mph the whole time.
It was frustrating because I'd already had quite a few lessons on an industrial estate with my dad and was reasonably confident of handling main roads.
Reply 4
My instructor spent maybe 5 minutes talking about things then I drove around for 2 hours. Even let me drive home :biggrin:
I did 10 minutes of talking, and 50 minutes of driving up and down and round and round an industrial estate :p:
Reply 6
My friend has her first lesson with my current instructor tomorrow, and he said he normally drives to a quiet area, lets you get used to the car and lets you drive home.

My first instructor spent 50 minutes of my 1st lesson driving me someone, explaining everything when I'd told him my dad had explain it all (he even told me how to put a seatbelt on for crying out loud, I've been a passenger hundreds of times!!!!) :P: And then let me drive for about a minute. :s-smilie:

OP I'd suggest you switch instructor, mine was along similar lines to yours and he was such a time waster, he wasted over 2.5 hours of my time and didn't even let me drive home until my 8th lesson when I was ready by my third. :s-smilie: You need an instructor that likes to push their pupils, and the guy you described doesn't. :p:
Reply 7
Student2806
Looks more like a transcript to me :p:

Mine was pretty much the same - my instructor wouldn't let me on any main roads and I doubt we went above 30mph the whole time.
It was frustrating because I'd already had quite a few lessons on an industrial estate with my dad and was reasonably confident of handling main roads.

:ditto:
Reply 8
it was pretty straightforward, i knew how an internal combustion engine worked anyway and we just did a few circuits round my area.
Reply 9
My instructor just did all the boring paperwork stuff that was important and legal and stuff for 10 minutes, and then let me drive around the industrial estate for an hour and taught me reversing and stuff. I did tell him I had SOME driving experience though (around a field). :smile:
Mine just let me drive for a while, although I was ****.
Carnage!
lostphotobooth

I let him go after my 10th lesson. I was gentle.

'Found a cheaper guy, nice knowing you.'
Reply 13
My first driving lesson took place on my 17th birthday. I was soo excited and the lesson was quite fun. I came home on a high which lasted the entire day. :rolleyes: Good times. :smile:
Reply 14
Had a talk for half hour then drove round the corner lol.

Whens your second lesson? I was all driving then. So if you didnt start on ya first u will on ya second.
InvoluntarySlacker
I'd find a new instructor if I were you!

I let him go after my 10th lesson. I was gentle.

'Found a cheaper guy, nice knowing you.'

I did that after I had done no manouveres at all after 18 hours with my first instructor. I used the exact phrase you said there haha. He wasn't too happy. And to be fair, I had found a cheaper guy, so I wasn't lying.
Reply 16
My first lesson hmmmm
well I had a mother of all hangovers from the night before. I also felt sick so I insisted I was boiling (it was winter) and I kept the window wound down the whole time :smile:
Apart from that my first was exactly the same, don't worry the second I did a lot more driving.
Reply 17
Mine was good. I remember driving like around a quiet area and just getting used to 1st and 2nd gear as well as emerging and turning left.
MKJL450

Whens your second lesson? I was all driving then. So if you didnt start on ya first u will on ya second.

I had 11 driving lessons. I took a break now. The old instructer let me drive fully at lesson 3 and back home at lesson 6. And I was awesome, used to do a bit of joyriding on the weekends in my mum's car. :mad:
Reply 19
I did pretty much everything on my first driving lesson, but then I could already drive (my parents were very keen and had let me drive from hereford - portsmouth on my birthday!).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending