The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

What can I expect as a first year going into Solent University?

i intend to move into Solent University as a 1st year; and from a student perspective what can i expect moving into university? As i'd imagine, well from my perspective, quite daunting.
Hi,

You're right moving to university can be quite daunting, however I found that both the university and the other freshers really helped with the transition. Honestly the most stressful parts are moving into your accommodation and the the first lecture or introductory talks. But I think that was mainly nerves from doing something new for the first time.

I found that once I had moved in, I was with my flatmates who were also nervous so we all went to the freshers fair and then shopping for the first time together, so it wasn't so bad. Everything else, although a little scary at first, was alright as I was with other new students and also there were tons of student ambassadors around who pointed us in the right direction when we all (and I really do mean all) got lost. So I think that's the key thing, that although its all new and a little scary you're with lots of people who are also new to it and finding it a little scary, plus there were tons of people who were around during freshers week to help us specifically.

But to answer your question on what to expect, honestly just lots of things going on at all times. There's a little run down that I think gets emailed to you about everything that's going on. There's a welcome talk for your course, the freshers fair and various events put on by the student union and then lots of events going on at various clubs around the city. But it changes year on year so your experience will be slightly different from previous years. Also you will meet tons of new people.

But I guess depending on who you are, this can probably sounds like an absolute nightmare if you're not comfortable with meeting new people or going to new places etc but you get to choose which activities and events you take part in. Obviously there are somethings like the introductory talks and lectures that you really do need to go to but if you're not one to go out partying there's no requirement to go out.

Hope this help, if you have any other questions I'm happy to help out :smile:
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending